Leo Gura

Spiral Dynamics Stage Yellow Examples Mega-Thread

1,196 posts in this topic

Hey, ya'll, I need your help!

I want to create a comprehensive list of video examples of prototypical stage Yellow thinking.

This is not meant to humiliate or demonize stage Yellow. It's meant to be an educational tool for people learning about Spiral Dynamics.

So towards that end, scour Youtube and find all the videos you can which exhibit stage Yellow thinking. Try to find videos which are short and sweet. The more diversity we can display here, the better. Try to find examples from various cultures: Europe, Middle East, Asia, Indonesia, Japan, Russia, Africa, South America, etc.

We will create a mega-thread like this for every stage in the Spiral, from Red to Turquoise. But here, let's just focus on Yellow. Each week I will start a new mega-thread topic for the next stage.

Do not start a political debate in this thread! It is not our goal here to defend our personal political positions or to judge any stage, but simply to compile examples.

Thanks for your help! I'm excited to see what kind of juicy stuff you dig up. Try to be selective with your choices.

This can turn into a really cool list.

Stage Yellow Values:

• Nuance & complexity
  • Openmindedness
  • Perspective
  • Novel concepts & POVs
  • Generating fresh insights
  • Understanding
  • Systems thinking
  • Nonlinear dynamics
  • Sustainability, long time frames
  • Going meta
  • Big picture vs technical analysis
    • Holistic analysis
    • Synthesis
  • Connecting the dots
  • Penetrating to the core of an issue
    • Identifying & solving root problems
  • A multi-disciplinary approach
    • Mixing hard & soft sciences
  • Creativity, outside-the-box solutions
  • Ecology
  • Responsible ways of being
  • Studying models
  • Spiral Dynamics
  • Natural hierarchies
  • Education, knowledge, research, reading
    • Reading lots of diverse books
  • Clean content, concentrated information
  • Life-long learning
  • Expertise, competence, experience
  • Context, learning from history
  • Developing skills to become an instrument for the greater whole
  • Independent thinking
  • Neutrality: Being objective/impartial
  • Designing solutions for the entire Spiral
  • Meeting people where they are at
  • Building bridges
  • Social engineering
  • Ecological designs
  • Reducing the suffering of living systems
  • Pulling ideas from many sources
  • Combining different ideas, models, theories
  • Left-brained
  • Vision & purpose, being a visionary
  • Requisite variety, mental flexibility
  • Self-actualization
  • Paradox
  • Uncertainty
  • Responsibility, independence, autonomy
  • Being a lone-wolf

Stage Yellow Examples:

Abraham Maslow, Eben Pagan, Noam Chomsky, Fritjof Capra, Carl Sagan, quantum mechanics, fathers of quantum mechanics, David Bohm, Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Erwin Schrodinger, Arthur Eddington, Richard Feynman, Freeman Dyson, John Archibald Wheeler, Paul Feyerabend, Kurt Godel, Obama, George Soros, Joseph Campbell, Erich Fromm, Clare Graves, Don Beck, Spiral Dynamics, Ilya Prigogine, chaos theory, cybernetics, biomimetics, NLP, Alfred Korzybski, the leading edge of academia, futurists, StarTrek humans & Vulcans, Prime Directive, sustainable living, ecology, eco cities, conflict resolution, Shinzen Young’s mindfulness system, Wikipedia, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Jacques Derrida, Buckminster Fuller, W.V.O. Quine, Sergey Brin, Larry Page, Steve Jobs, Paul Allen, Elon Musk, Joe Rogan

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The movie Lucy is a very good movie showing the progression of psychological evolution in a very Orange/Green way. I feel it's a very Yellow and Turquoise kind of movie which is pretty cool. Maybe I can get some feedback on this. 

Edited by Truth

Memento Mori

This guy has an extremly deep understanding of the physical and mental aspects of his works. That is also reflected in all the degrees he gained over time. His whole business model he shaped around that reflects it aswell. Even more interesting is the level of consciousness he has achieved by embodying his works to a very high degree. He might be even turqoise.

Edited by Till

Please note that: Im not saying the Islamic State is yellow. The documentary about it is yellow. Same with nort korea, trump etc.

Edited by Robi Steel

I know you're tired but come. This is the way - Rumi

I get Yellow vibes from this Australian thinker who runs 'Effective Altruism', using reason and evidence to do the most good

Random question not worthy of its own thread. 

I see the importance of not trying to rush or skip stages. I find evaluating myself as any color difficult, but I can say that I see the limitations of green quite brightly, even though I cant say I have transitioned "trough" it as a "phase". 

I deeply resonate with the idea of "seeing reality as it is, not as I think it is", which could be one way to summarize yellow in one sentence. I have some green ideals, but I'm not passionate about them in a way that would make me join a protest or an activist group. 

How to succesfully transition stages without building an identity out of the ideas and perspectives of that particular stage first, just to see the limitations of that stage and start deconstructing that identity? Am I already stage yellow but confused? Do I have to become and SJW just to see that it does not make me happy or change the world? :D

As a contribution: in my opinion the BEST documentary ever made. Very highly yellow. A must see for every self-actualizer. Consciousness, existence, humanity, the eco-system, highly different cultures and customs, world problems and the systems where those problem sprung out of, all displayed beautifully from a non-polarized perspective. As a film enthusiast I find this documentary pure art.

Edited by molosku

Nathaniel Branden. His life long study and modeling of Self Esteem issues with a view to going to the root of the problem.

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

You can find the whole movie on YouTube actually! 

Edited by Zweistein

@Girzo I thought Slavoj Zizek was a Blue statist. Perhaps, my perception was incorrect?

I think this scene from the movie "Donnie Darko" is a good example for stage yellow. What do you think?