Leo Gura

Strange Loops Mega-Thread

236 posts in this topic

A forum member suggested we start this mega-thread, so here it is.

Contribute any images, quotes, videos, examples of strange loops here.

What is a strange loop?

"And yet when I say 'strange loop', I have something else in mind — a less concrete, more elusive notion. What I mean by 'strange loop' is — here goes a first stab, anyway — not a physical circuit but an abstract loop in which, in the series of stages that constitute the cycling-around, there is a shift from one level of abstraction (or structure) to another, which feels like an upwards movement in a hierarchy, and yet somehow the successive 'upward' shifts turn out to give rise to a closed cycle. That is, despite one's sense of departing ever further from one's origin, one winds up, to one's shock, exactly where one had started out. In short, a strange loop is a paradoxical level-crossing feedback loop."

-- Douglas Hofstadter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_loop

drawing_hands.jpg

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

CrvjWUSWYAAxpBM.jpg

CHICKEN.jpg

Strange-loop-tondos-padlock-self-unlocking-marcus-pierce-artist-painting-oil-painter-new-york-manhattan-brooklyn-paradox-consciousness-cognitive-science-2.jpg

52 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

A forum member suggested we start this mega-thread, so here it is.

Contribute any images, quotes, videos, examples of strange loops here.

What is a strange loop?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_loop

drawing_hands.jpg

I still don’t understand how strange loops is real. I’ve never heard a non-duality teacher talking about strange loops. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

What is the colour a mirror actually has?

Edited by Crystalous

Thought of Nietzsche and a thought came.

How could something arise out of its opposite. To be more, one has to let go of what he is, when one is more, he is less, ....

Also a personal view came into mind, on Mimir and Odin. To see more, you have let go of the organ that you thought could see, give your eye to Mimir. Be more by becoming less.

Edited by Clayman

"If you immediately know the candle-light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago"

This sentence is false.

2 hours ago, How to be wise said:

I still don’t understand how strange loops is real. I’ve never heard a non-duality teacher talking about strange loops. 

Strange loops are the result of a finite mind trying to grasp infinity.

The universe created Stewie for the purpose of Stewie creating the universe.

Not sure if it's a strangeloop, but it's a circular chain of causation beyond logic. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

We have infinity, and we have whole numbers like 1, 2, 3.... If you have some many of your whole numbers you'll eventually reach an infinite amount. But if you notice the are between 1 and 2 for example is made of infinity. cuz 1 - 1.1 - 1.01 - 1.001 there's no limit to how many zeros I can add behind that decimal point aka infinity.

So yea I think this is a strange loop because you get infinity from itself?...

"This sentence contradicts itself — no actually it doesn't."

— Douglas Hofstadter