CreamCat

Will my consciousness exist after death?

51 posts in this topic

Leo said consciousness is not a biological phenomenon. Then, is it possible for my consciousness to exist as a ghost after death?

Or, will my death lead to disappearance of my consciousness? Or, am I already a ghost living in an illusion of physical embodiment? Which is it?

Do note that I am not pondering suicide. The opposite is the truth in my mind. I have been pondering what it's like to live forever. But, that question can wait until I obtain some kind of immortality. I'm not even sure if immortality is possible.

Edited by CreamCat

From what i understand Leo and others who teach enlightement say that life and death is an illusion and consciousness is eternal with no beginning and no end so how can something which hasnt been born die..life and death of body is another story..i guess our body is just a vessel for consciousness in this life.And if our essence really is consciousness then we really are immortal..we just need to realize that:DYou need to question materialism philosophy which is underneath what current science operates 

Edited by DecemberFlower

There is no choice in eternity .. the human experience - the ego -  will be dead for sure .. but your essence , the nothingness that all things appears in - the infinite consiousness - the knowing that only knows itself will be here forever. 

3 minutes ago, Capital said:

There is no choice in eternity .. the human experience - the ego -  will be dead for sure .. but your essence , the nothingness that all things appears in - the infinite consiousness - the knowing that only knows itself will be here forever. 

As a finite ego, I envy infinite consciousness.

Edited by CreamCat

The bigger question to me is what happens with our minds after death..ok body will die and consciousness has no beginning and no end but mind is tricky to me..cause some parts of mind are in my opinion genetic like some personality traits and some are habits of thinking which are partially based on genetics also but also our environment and conditioning..

18 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

Leo said consciousness is not a biological phenomenon. Then, is it possible for my consciousness to exist as a ghost after death?

Or, will my death lead to disappearance of my consciousness? Or, am I already a ghost living in an illusion of physical embodiment? Which is it?

Do note that I am not pondering suicide. The opposite is the truth in my mind. I have been pondering what it's like to live forever. But, that question can wait until I obtain some kind of immortality. I'm not even sure if immortality is possible.

There is no my or your consciousness, there is just consciousness. You are just under the illusion that it is yours because of the mind. Its always been here and always will be here.

1 minute ago, DecemberFlower said:

The bigger question to me is what happens with our minds after death..ok body will die and consciousness has no beginning and no end but mind is tricky to me..cause some parts of mind are in my opinion genetic like some personality traits and some are habits of thinking which are partially based on genetics also but also our environment and conditioning..

The finite mind after the ego death fades away in the - infinite mind - consiousness !

3 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

As a finite ego, I envy infinite consciousness.

Haha that's a good one 

5 minutes ago, Capital said:

The finite mind after the ego death fades away in the - infinite mind - consiousness !

Well someone can have an ego death like plenty people probably had on psychedelics or consistent self inquiry but ego later returns and it surely didnt faded away.And some spiritual teachers like Rupert Spira say that even after full liberation or enlightenment there are leftover ego tendencies or mental habits  which wont go away immediately.There wont be any more identification with them but they will still remain for some time 

Edited by DecemberFlower

1 minute ago, DecemberFlower said:

Well someone can have an ego death like plenty people probably had on psychedelics or consistent self inquiry but ego later returns and it surely didnt faded away.And some spiritual teachers like Rupert Spira say that even after full liberation or enlightenment there are leftover ego tendencies or mental habits  which wont go away immediately.There wont be any more identification with them but they will still remain for some time 

You can never kill the ego. I think the trick is to be aware of its existence and its tendencies to the point where you no longer identify with it.

@CreamCat There is no you!

So this notion "my consciousness" is deeply misguided.

Consciousness is not yours. That's the illusion of duality.

Consciousness is happening without you. Death means: no more you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 minutes ago, metwinn said:

You can never kill the ego. I think the trick is to be aware of its existence and its tendencies to the point where you no longer identify with it.

Good point:)But what happens if identification is not stopped in this life? Does ego(mind) tendencies continue after this body life?

@Leo Gura

What puzzles me is this...

after your EGO-DEATH when you returned to this body-mind of Leo Gura... the consciousness which currently embodies it (even though it's now orders of magnitude different as you may say) is aware of the same old Leo's thoughts, memories etc.

So even thought there is no each of us... the consiouness which apparatnely embodies each of our body-minds knows that body-mind's story...

ughhh... i know i should just figure this out on my on... but blah

slow and steady.

one day. inshaa allah

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

2 minutes ago, SoonHei said:

@Leo Gura

after your EGO-DEATH when you returned to this body-mind of Leo Gura... the consciousness which currently embodies it (even though it's now orders of magnitude different as you may say) is aware of the same old Leo's thoughts, memories etc.

So even thought there is no each of us... the consiouness which apparatnely embodies each of our body-minds knows that body-mind's story...

slow and steady.

one day. inshaa allah

Your still talking as if Leo is returning to his body. I recommend going back and maybe rewatching a few of Leos videos in particular this one 

just to get a better understanding of what consciousness is. :)

Your mind, your body, every person, the world, the universe, physics, time and space, all are part of the illusion. All there is is consciousness. 

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

This hurts. If there is no me but only consciousness, then I guess human memory fades away after bodily death, but consciousness remains.

Or, is human memory archived somewhere outside in some sort of computers?

Edited by CreamCat

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Leo.....how is this helping anybody live a happier life?

12 minutes ago, DecemberFlower said:

That's why 'mystical experiences' alone aren't enough to create a whole human being. If Actualized.org was more focused on integrating and healing body, mind and spirit instead of harping on "killing the ego", it would really help people improve their lives.

Journal of Jesus Christ - https://journalofjesuschrist.com

8 minutes ago, DecemberFlower said:

Good point:)But what happens if identification is not stopped in this life? Does ego(mind) tendencies continue after this body life?

The ego only exists in this body. where do you think the ego mind tendencies are existing?

1 minute ago, Vladimir said:

Leo.....how is this helping anybody live a happier life?

No self, no problem ;)

12 minutes ago, SoonHei said:

@Leo Gura

slow and steady.

one day. inshaa allah

The True Self is infinite and eternal and cannot ever die.

But don't confuse that with "you". "You" is ego, and that will die because it's just a figment of the mind. It can die at any moment, without even the body dying.

If fact, you are already dead right now. Take a look. You were never born.

If Leo was right, then I would expect that consciousness would exist after heat death of the universe. I'm not saying heat death is real.

The infinite consciousness staring at heat death would be cool.