Morten

Cheerful Music, Sad Lyrics

20 posts in this topic

Are there any songs you like to hear that fit into this category?

Typical example of this is group "The Smiths". Their music is so beautiful and cheerful, but Morrissey's lyrics are so hard and depressing.

I very much like to listen to them and since english is not my native language I found myself singing along with the lyrics but never really pay much attention to it. Do you think that in a way by doing this we are entering negative affirmations/beliefs into our subconsciousness?

I would really love to hear your opinon on this.

This is a really good question and something I have thought about lately. Here's my take on it.

I enjoy listening to music but have come to realise there is an unhealthy side-effect of the lyrics in just the same way that other media like movies and books portray unhealthy belief systems.

As we do more personal development we start to learn about the dysfunctional and faulty beliefs that we are conditioned with by society, particularly surrounding topics like relationships and love, which is what most song lyrics describe. Now, when I hear song lyrics, I can hear the stories of co-dependency and selfish/misguided love within them. Which can spoil the songs a bit.

The problem comes if we start to buy in to the lyrics and associate with them. If we believe their content and apply it to our own lives. And of course, when we are feeling down about something, or even good about something, what do we do? Put on a song that reinforces the feeling and that we can relate to. Make ourselves feel even more down when we've had a relationship problem, for example. Which may not necessarily be encouraging a healthy mindset.

I think the key is to enjoy the music for what it is without buying in to the 'story' of the lyrics. Maintain a detachment from them. I can't speak for others but for me it is the tune that I get caught up with and not the lyrics anyway. But like any form of media (movies etc) it's important not to follow the examples set by the stories or lyrics, and to understand that they may be depicting unhealthy beliefs and behaviours. Don't copy what you see or hear and don't apply it to your life. However you can still enjoy the artform and entertainment value.

Edited by FindingPeace

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

Thank You for your response.

I very much agree with everything you said.

The question that still remains is, although you are not actively beleiveng the lyrics you are still imprinting them in your brain by singing along with the music. So what do you think how much does that subconsciously impacts you?

Oh My Darling Clementine, You Are My Sunshine, Crocodile Rock!! SO MANY SONGS!!

@Morten

7 hours ago, Morten said:

The question that still remains is, although you are not actively beleiveng the lyrics you are still imprinting them in your brain by singing along with the music. So what do you think how much does that subconsciously impacts you?

No. This does not have a negative impact on the mind. But calling these attitudes "negative" does have a negative impact, and is really a covert way of being self-defeating.  All human attitudes are actually neutral because in different contexts the same attitudes are useful and sometimes even beautiful. It takes a high degree of self awareness to see how some of these attitudes might not be fruitful to buy into too much and let them control us, but to demonise them or try to get away from them is pointless because you and I have the same things going on inside, and this will never change as long as we are alive in a human body.  Once a wound, always a wound.  In fact, trying to get away from wounds makes them denser and distorts our perceptions even more.  What IS healthy tho is being conscious that it IS a wound and not all of us.  That way the wound has less control over thoughts behaviours and actions.  But can we ever get rid of "wounded" parts of us?  No.  Despite what some models and teachers will have us believe, it's simply not possible.

Coming to terms with this part being human and cultivating a high degree of respect for the "shadow" takes time and a ton of work. Teachers like Genpo Roshi and Ken Wilber understand this and have developed models that incorporate spirituality with transpersonal therapy.  If you are interested in learning what it's realistically possible to get from a life in self development, or have an interest in learning about the Spiral Dynamics "Yellow" stage of development then I encourage you to look at some of their books.  

1 hour ago, Zane said:

Oh My Darling Clementine, You Are My Sunshine, Crocodile Rock!! SO MANY SONGS!!

'Ring around the rosie', 'Rocking my baby'

Don't know how in the world they made it to become children songs :o

My goodness, There are so many! Just about every genre has it... but some of the big ones is R&B and Country here are a few examples:

Actually, it should be ok as long as you don't get emotionally trapped. 

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

@Nomad

Thank you for clearing things for me, now I can enjoy my favorite songs even more :)

Feel free to post books that you find inspiring!

Edited by Morten

@Nomad

Thank you for clearing things for me, now I can enjoy my favorite songs even more :)

Feel free to post books that you find inspiring!

I study song lyrics and I love discovering the true meaning about the songs and how the lyrics reveal so much about the song! "Clementine" sounds like an energized fiddle or banjo tune on the surface but it's really about a tragic accident that resulted in a miner's daughter's drowning and how nobody can save her. "Your Are My Sunshine" has an idealistic title and has a deeply hopeful chorus but it's really about a breakup and how it shattered the narrator's dreams and the chorus is a plea for forgiveness and reunion. On the surface, "Crocodile Rock" sounds extremely energized and upbeat with an extremely catchy refrain but it's a deeply nostalgic and tragic song about the 1950s and the dance fads and the rise of rock and roll but the singer's nostalgia was shattered by his lover breaking up with him, and "long nights crying by the record machine dreaming of my Chevy and my old blue jeans." 

I literally know people who run their lives as dictated by some kind of lyrics. Real low counciousness.

We also need to realize that many artists just write what they feel without paying to much attention what effect it will have on the audience.

Some music nowadays seems even to be designed to instill low level counciousness and behaviour.

If you want to make real progress, check and update your playlist! 

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

~Chris

so you say that if i listen to jump by van halen i will commit suicide by jumping off a building? :D dont take these things too seriously, some of the music lyrics give me very good and interesting insights!

Dont avoid emotions like sadness, depression, sorrow, guilt. when i feel depressed i listen to sad songs and try to completely feel this emotions, its quite soothing!

@zasa joey Completely agree with you. Music was my psychotherapy for really long time. Nu metal, funeral doom, black metal - all provide me guidance into my deep emotional states for healing and acceptance.

P.S: don't know what would I do without slipknot in my teenage years :)

Shiny happy people by REM is actually about depression and meds. 

Good points about lyrics getting into your psyche, I would say it's all about your awareness. When I was young I would look for an identity in some music, which most teenagers do, obviously if this is the case it can affect you a lot. It's all about detachment from it and seeing it as entertainment 

On 3/17/2016 at 11:58 PM, Natasha said:

'Ring around the rosie', 'Rocking my baby' 

Don't know how in the world they made it to become children songs :o

So many nursery rhymes and children's songs are deeply gruesome!! Yet songs with dark overtones and undertones fascinate me! The nursery rhymes have a strong historical context and the original fairy tales were extremely gruesome. I love studying these stories! 

This one sad music and sad lyric but it's cheer you up somehow xD

Whatever happens..
The Truth will free my soul