Leo Gura

Spiral Dynamics Stage Orange Examples Mega-Thread

1,484 posts in this topic

Gary Vaynerchuk is a great example of stage orange

Edited by tenta

Great example of Orange/Green criticizing Blue:

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Revolutionary Think It's shocking how accurate Spiral Dynamics is sometimes. It's like people are just Spiral robots executing the routines of their stage.

Isn't it so? Yes or no?

@Leo Gura Yup it's funny because he probably thinks he's on the top of the food chain and he's figured it all out. Oh how the ego mind loves to play tricks on itself. 

@Leo Gura I have a sincere question: what is the point of classifying the individual soul into these color-stages? Is this meant as a practical tool to bring about self-recognition? 

There is a voice that doesn't use words. Listen! - Rumi

20 minutes ago, Misagh said:

@Leo Gura I have a sincere question: what is the point of classifying the individual soul into these color-stages? Is this meant as a practical tool to bring about self-recognition? 

No, it is for understanding and predicting people's behaviors.

For example, I know the Amazing Atheist will deny enlightenment so that's useful for me to know. Saves me lots of time.

I know Trump will be a terrible Red President so I don't vote for him.

I know Jordan Peterson is just reacting against Green so I don't get tricked by his sophistry.

I can identify teachers who are Turquoise who I can learn lots from.

Etc.

@Revolutionary Think

My impression so far how people have been using this tool isn't an empathetic one, but rather one of judgment, self evaluation and group cohesion. In short, religion. I don't think we need another dominance hierarchy. I think people are already very good at making stereotypes and effort is better spent on entangling them, rather than making new ones. I'm German and culturally very opposed to grouping people into higher and lower tiers, so I'm not going to pretend you could really say anything that would change my mind on that.

11 hours ago, Misagh said:

I have a sincere question: what is the point of classifying the individual soul into these color-stages? Is this meant as a practical tool to bring about self-recognition? 

In addition to Leo's comments, it also helps to communicate better with others. My parents have a blue mode of "either / or" thinking. I need to be skillful when having orange-level logical discussions. They will keep coming back to either / or thinking. As well, I will not use a green-level relative mode of thinking with them - it is incomprehensible to them.

It is a totally different situation with my scientific colleagues. Most of my colleagues are entrenched in a logical / scientific reason mode of thinking (orange level). They can easily see the limitations of blue-level either / or thinking (unlike my parents). Yet, most of my colleagues are not skillful at using a green-level relative mode of thinking. 

When I meet a rare Yellow-centered person, I can tell that I am fluent in blue, orange and green modes - but I am not fluent in Yellow. It's like chatting with a native Spanish speaker. I can tell I'm not fluent in Spanish. When with a Yellow-centered person, I acknowledge this and do my best to communicate at the Yellow level. Rather than defend my tier 1 modes of thinking, I try to be open to learn from the Yellow person. It feels like learning a new language to me.

15 hours ago, SchallUndRauch said:

You could make a religion out of this.

You could make a religion out of science, and even Absolute Truth itself.

;)

29 minutes ago, Etherial Cat said:

Orange trying to pass for Green

This is Green

Don't forget that Green can still be a business. You don't have to be a communist to be Green. Green can be very commercial.

@Leo Gura To me, it seems like the underlying motivation is personal health and vanity. I don't get a sense that their true motivation is wellness for all. For example, the organizer uses the term "autonomy" several times - which I would generally consider a keyword for orange.

A green could buy a Prius with the intent of reducing their carbon footprint for the wellness of their community.

An orange could buy a Prius with the intent to look good and save some money on gas.

You guys are being sloppy with your Spiral assessments.

All you have to do is read Goop.com's About page to clearly see they are promoting Green values:

https://goop.com/whats-goop/

"Our Values:

We believe that the little things count, that good food is the foundation of love and wellness, that the mind/body/spirit is inextricably linked and we have more control over how we express our health than we currently understand, that it’s better to buy fewer things that are better."

An Orange person would never write that.

The name of the company alone screams out Green. No Orange person is gonna name their company Goop.

The reason Goop is ridiculed in mainstream media is precisely because it is too Green relative to the Orange center of gravity of mainstream culture.

@Extreme Z7 Because he's got an Orange audience to cater to.

Also because Goop does some ridiculous things and comedians thrive on the ridiculous.

The Ultra Spiritual YT channel is all about ridiculing Green, even though I'm pretty sure the guy in the videos is himself Green.

I'm not sure where my center of gravity is recently. My center of gravity moved away from solid Orange. Material possession and progress don't excite as much as before. When Leo explains Green, lots of things resonate with me. At the same time, I nowadays care about practicality more than ever because life purpose requires it.

Both Orange and Green don't impress me as much as before. However, I see lots of what seems to be Purple/Red/Blue people in supposedly Green movements. Purple(tribal) and Red(predatory) people are often the vanguards of some of those movements. This makes me cast doubts on the future of Green politics.

I'm starting to recognize futility of pursuing group ideals and care more about self survival and practicality. I also recognized that I pursued equality and fairness for everyone because I wanted to reduce risk of becoming disenfranchised and dying early. It seems human egos care about equality to the extent that it helps ego survival. It doesn't matter whether you are Green or not. When anyone talks about equality, most of the time, I can see that it is about ego survival. But, they are in denial about this.

An ideal Green movement would care about survival of every egoic creature including AIs, animals, humans, aliens, and so on. I haven't seen one, yet. What I often see is that feminists and transgender activists fight each other to death. Feminists and MRA are arch enemies. Not really inclusive at all. To me, they look like special interest groups in denial of pursuing special interests.

My recent sentiment is "equality, my ass". It seems leo's videos made me more cynical. His video about ending wage slavery shattered my naive beliefs about equality. Futility of everything runs through the back of my mind.

Am I in the process of going back to Orange and integrating Orange more properly before going back to Green? Or, am I graduating from Green? Or, have I been Orange all along? Is it the case that I'm an Orange person who resonates with Green and Yellow values only when Green or Yellow overlaps with Orange? Do I just care about psychological evolution to the extent that it overlaps with Orange progress?

However, I shall not be too neurotic about not knowing where I am. I will revisit Spiral Dynamics after I succeed at life purpose.

Edited by CreamCat