Leo Gura

Spiral Dynamics Stage Blue Examples Mega-Thread

1,354 posts in this topic

@StarStruck I think the mistake you're making is trying to pin them down to one stage with only a few behaviours. Spiral Dynamics has a lot of explanatory and predictive power, but it is just a model at the end of the day. People are far too complex for any one model to adequately explain all facets of behaviour, belief, etc.

When it comes to religious belief, I think the question is, upon which grounds do they rest their truth? A Stage Blue thinker will tend to rest their truth upon a monotheistic God or a "holy" book like the Communist Manifesto. This means that you can have a Stage Blue person who is an atheist, but still ground their truth on some absolute thing regardless of what the evidence might say. A radical communist will constantly refer back to the Communist Manifesto regardless of how many times that form of Communism has failed. 

A Stage Orange thinker on the other hand, will tend to ground their truth upon 3rd person inter-subjectively verifiable data, in other words, an objective, physical reality. The truth is not found in a single absolute source, but is instead found by going out into to the world and observing the truth for yourself, then confirming those observations based on peer review. 

Bringing that back to your parents, if they have a Stage Blue core they'll tend to make appeals to some sort of absolute truth, in lieu of any actual physical evidence. The key difference between Red and Blue is that Blue's source of truth will be outside themselves, whereas Red will be their own desires put above the desires of anyone else. Blue needs some sort of non-verifiable external justification for why they do what they do (i.e. God made me do it), whereas Red will do it just because they damn well wanted to. 

Edited by Elevated

14 hours ago, Elevated said:

This means that you can have a Stage Blue person who is an atheist, but still ground their truth on some absolute thing regardless of what the evidence might say. A radical communist will constantly refer back to the Communist Manifesto regardless of how many times that form of Communism has failed. 

A Stage Orange thinker on the other hand, will tend to ground their truth upon 3rd person inter-subjectively verifiable data, in other words, an objective, physical reality. The truth is not found in a single absolute source, but is instead found by going out into to the world and observing the truth for yourself, then confirming those observations based on peer review. 

I'm going to critique your use of the word "absolute". Both Blue and Orange share having a belief in transcendent/absolute principles:

For Blue, it's the sanctity of the divine (purpose that transcends the individual): truth is decided by a collective historical tradition. 

For Orange, it would be the sanctity of the individual itself: rationality and empiricism (truth is decided by the reasoning of individual minds); freedom and liberty (society is guided by the voices of individuals, on the merit of their reasoning/rhetoric, through democratic means).

In that sense, they're both absolutistic worldviews. On a system level, they're both rife with dogmatism and self-serving biases. Orange might claim it's being self-aware, but so might Blue to its own extent. Orange can get stuck on one model just as much as Blue. More systemically self-aware, perspectivally diverse and relativistic worldviews start arising at late-Green/early-Yellow.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard Yeah I can't argue with you there. I do think Orange is a little less absolutistic in the sense that they open the door to being wrong, or updating one's worldview. With sufficient evidence an Orange will do so, whereas a Blue would be much less likely to. Although, obviously, the holy books can be reinterpreted to fit the new narrative the Blue needs. So I guess the point is that at each stage there is a certain degree of absolutism, they aren't absolute in their absolutism lol

2 minutes ago, Elevated said:

@Carl-Richard Yeah I can't argue with you there. I do think Orange is a little less absolutistic in the sense that they open the door to being wrong, or updating one's worldview. With sufficient evidence an Orange will do so, whereas a Blue would be much less likely to. Although, obviously, the holy books can be reinterpreted to fit the new narrative the Blue needs. So I guess the point is that at each stage there is a certain degree of absolutism, they aren't absolute in their absolutism lol

Each stage becomes less limited and more open as you go up the spiral.  A way of looking at it would be like a funnel. Life at Purple is extremely restrictive while Red is more open but still limited by its own destructiveness, Yellow and Turquoise is extremely wide but still limited of course. 

So, Blue is absolutistic and so is Orange but much less so. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

They would have had an easier life if they returned to Europe after colonialism ended.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

second video is stage blue having a crisis which causes them to think and transition to orange (or double down and get stuck)

1 hour ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Vaush going Blue

It's a good example of how Vaush is a solid healthy Green while his dumb followers are not. They haven't integrated Blue.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 hours ago, Lyubov said:

Lol

Oh the tragic comedy of ignorance.

https://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/pomjzh/south-park-cartman-sucks-season-11-ep-2

" Camp newgrace "  where  they " pray the gay away"  in this south park episode

Quote of the day : Butters : " If I'm bicorious, and I'm made out of God, then I think God must be a little bicorious himself " lol 19:55

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

On 05/12/2020 at 7:35 PM, Rilles said:

Leo: Were NOT demonizing the lower stages here!

Also Leo: OmG Boomer cringe

xD

don't ban mexD

Chill Rilles, The great Leo wouldn't be so fickle to ban for inane reasons , unlike certain non actualized.org mods... *cough* discord.

A beautiful documentary showing the pros and cons of the parts of Ireland which are stage blue.

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 15.13.11.png

On 2/1/2021 at 6:15 PM, Husseinisdoingfine said:

How much of an issue do you see with those of a communalist ‘come together’ value system, failing to integrate BLUE?

It's a huge problem for today's Zoomers. Most of them don't know how to tie their shoelaces, yet they think they have all the answers for the world's more complex economic, political, and social problems. It's dangerously dumb.

absolutely classic stage blue. Currently rewatching the Sopranos 

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's huge problem for today's Zoomers. Most of them don't know how to tie their shoelaces, yet they think they have all the answers for the world's more complex economic, political, and social problems. It's dangerously dumb.

They still have time to grow. Most Zoomers are barely adults yet

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

2 hours ago, Loving Radiance said:

@Husseinisdoingfine "Most of them"

You of course are special. You know how to tie your shoelaces :DxD

Weird flex but I remember I was one of the first kids in kindergarten who learned how to tie his shoelaces. I had to help my friends xD

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

19 hours ago, ItsNick said:

They still have time to grow. Most Zoomers are barely adults yet

Problem there is that most of them waste away their lives watching Twitch and playing video games.

16 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Zoomer here, stop insulting me:ph34r:

Zoomers Zooming, Boomers Booming... and here I am stuck in the middle :P

12 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Weird flex but I remember I was one of the first kids in kindergarten who learned how to tie his shoelaces. I had to help my friends xD

Soon no one alive will know how to ties shoelaces:

https://news.nike.com/news/nike-go-flyease-hands-free-shoe

Why, back in my day, I used to tie shoelaces in the snow, uphill, both ways.