Revolutionary Think

Problems are an Illusion of the Ego

82 posts in this topic

@Faceless  I want to totally "get" your version. I'm unclear still what one would do with thoughts that pull you from "what-is"? If my version is hypnosis.

Example could be as simple as me thinking of wanting a cookie, but I'm on a diet. So, I desire a cookie!

Or more complex, I'm at work and helping a patient that is being verbally abusive. So, have thoughts of escaping...fear.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

5 minutes ago, robdl said:

There are no authorities, second-hand teachings, or memories/knowledge when it comes to the self-understanding, the insight we’re talking about.

This is thought-self asserting time/knowledge, which is the same thing as saying thought-self asserting thought-self. Seeking security in its own movement.

It can be confusing, but if we keep learning about thought/self, it becomes obvious. 

7 minutes ago, robdl said:

There are no authorities, second-hand teachings, or memories/knowledge when it comes to the self-understanding, the insight we’re talking about.

This is thought-self asserting time/knowledge, which is the same thing as saying thought-self asserting thought-self. Seeking security in its own movement.

Did I offend you? My point was only that the concepts in that post I got from James Swartz. It just so happens that he and you meant roughly the same thing and that's cool.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

4 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Did I offend you? My point was only that the concepts in that post I got from James Swartz. It just so happens that he and you meant roughly the same thing and that's cool.

I was noting the movement of knowledge-time in action.  The tendency has to be paid attention to, to understand how thought-self seeks security in authority, concept, knowledge. 

@robdl

You said I was walking along with you, as if all the info from my post came from understanding what you were saying. When actually I was giving my version that I had heard from Vedanta, when I realized it was similiar to what you were saying. Why is that a problem? If we never use memory or past knowledge, then that's called being a baby, cause we wouldnt know anything...nothing. I'm a nurse, I use past knowledge all day.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@robdl

You said I was walking along with you, as if all the info from my post came from understanding what you were saying. When actually I was giving my version that I had heard from Vedanta, when I realized it was similiar to what you were saying. Why is that a problem? If we never use memory or past knowledge, then that's called being a baby, cause we wouldnt know anything...nothing. I'm a nurse, I use past knowledge all day.

Understandable, but we are referring to knowledge psychologically. 

2 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

@robdl

One trap of the ego/thought-self is to cross-compare two people sharing information, conceptually note that they are consistent with one another, and store it as knowledge/memory. This can be just the movement of the intellect/thought-self, self-perpetuating. When knowledge/memory is asserted, the past (time) is asserted. Time and thought-self are one and the same movement.

Anna I’m just indicating potential thought traps to be avoided. Some may resonate and some may not. Hope that’s cool.

if they don’t resonate with you, maybe it’ll catch someone else’s attention as well. 

I’m speaking to everyone.

5 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Understandable, but we are referring to knowledge psychologically. 

What does knowledge psychologically mean, exactly? 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

What does knowledge psychologically mean, exactly? 

Great question..

Any form of knowledge we attatch to that brings about psychological security. 

Clinging to the known, which is the knower. 

The knower and the known are one and the same movement of thought(experience, knowledge, memory)

Edited by Faceless

3 minutes ago, robdl said:

Anna I’m just indicating potential thought traps to be avoided. Some may resonate and some may not. Hope that’s cool.

Yeah, well,  I'm a smart cookie, don't mess with my past knowledge! Lol, did you like the ego in the statement!... bahaha!

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 minute ago, Faceless said:

Great question..

The knower and the known are one and the same movement of thought(experience, knowledge, memory)

known perpetuates knower perpetuates known.

1 minute ago, robdl said:

known perpetuates knower perpetuates known.

Indeed ...mutually dependent 

3 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Yeah, well,  I'm a smart cookie, don't mess with my past knowledge! Lol, did you like the ego in the statement!... bahaha!

Lol Nice :)

Awareness in action??

6 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Great question..

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I did - hehe. Attack on knowledge is attack on ego/thought-self because attachment/identification to this  knowledge is one and the same movement of thought-self/ego.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Thank you. 

@Faceless @robdl

Nameste guys!:x

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?