TheSomeBody

b12 and vegan diet

15 posts in this topic

how should i get b12 without takin any vitamins? 

should i add fish?

have ADHD? click here if you want to treat it

the safest way is to take a supplement. You could also focus on fermented foods and foods fortified with B12 such as tempeh, saurkraut, nutritional yeast but I've seen vegans get deficient from that because it is not as rich and one can't eat tempeh every day. 

500 - 1000 mcg a day is an ideal dose. Or 2500mcg once a week. 

btw, vegans don't eat fish, pescetarians do though :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

5 hours ago, Michael569 said:

the safest way is to take a supplement. You could also focus on fermented foods and foods fortified with B12 such as tempeh, saurkraut, nutritional yeast but I've seen vegans get deficient from that because it is not as rich and one can't eat tempeh every day. 

why not eating b12 foods?

6 hours ago, Colin said:

ty, it is really hard to find something with good information

btw, i have been taking spirolina which should have all b12 that i needed, but still my b12 is very low... any resons?

B12 is not a deficient issue its a circulation issue. You may need to detox or introduce probiotics and try avoid antibiotic-containing foods such as onions, garlic, strong radishes and other foods rich in mustard oil, which are lethal to intestinal flora. Poor intestinal health = poor absorption/circulation of B-12, Iron and other B-Vitamins.

http://www.vibrancyuk.com/B12.html

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@TheSomeBody spirulina contains zero B12 (based on cronometer at least). So perhaps consider chlorella instead which is the much better source and generally better cultivated as spirulina has been grown on human poop in some countries. Sun Chlorella is one of the best quality brands out there, very pristine and very easily digestible. 

@pluto  interesting article. There is sooo much controversy on this topic, it is really hard to know who to believe. Dr Morse says it is no necessary, Dr Clement and Greger say it is... I dunno anymore man :D Will keep on supplementing until I am convinced that I don't have to. Saw too many vegans get deficient on the internet but as she said, it may be a malabsorption issue.....still, there has to be a source from somewhere in order to have something to circulate. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 I understand. My Hawaiian Spirulina(Spirulina Pacifica) based on chronometer contains 375% B-12 but they say we don't absorb this B-12 from plants properly which i believe is another myth to steer people aware from health and keep them on the profit loop.

Indeed a source is needed but they say when the body is at optimal health B-12 circulates for years and years sometimes even decades and you are bound to get some B-12 from somewhere in those years by accident on but yes supplementing is always wise as information is all over the place these days.

I try not supplement on purpose then get blood tests to see my levels and so far everything has been normal so i am not sure. I research the symptoms of deficiency quite well and i have a B-12 spray just in-case although i think the algae and unwashed organic produce provide more than enough and i know this is most unwise but i sometimes feel supplements effect natural production long-term especially these extremely high amounts that most supplements seem to have today.

I like to go by the natural amounts found in nature(whole foods) and if i were to supplement to try at least mimic those amounts even though the whole food equivalent is missing.

B R E A T H E

On 18/06/2018 at 4:51 PM, Michael569 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the b12 in fermented foods the type that interferes with the b12 your body needs? 

I only ask because I did a bit of research on this myself and discovered that really the only way to take b12 is from a supplement.

And despite that sometimes supplements are not enough, injections may be needed. B12 is hard to get, and hard to absorb the for older people. 

source: cook-greuter.com 

18 hours ago, pluto said:

B12 is not a deficient issue its a circulation issue. You may need to detox or introduce probiotics and try avoid antibiotic-containing foods such as onions, garlic, strong radishes and other foods rich in mustard oil, which are lethal to intestinal flora. Poor intestinal health = poor absorption/circulation of B-12, Iron and other B-Vitamins.

http://www.vibrancyuk.com/B12.html

im avoiding those stuff so...

14 hours ago, Michael569 said:

@TheSomeBody spirulina contains zero B12 (based on cronometer at least). So perhaps consider chlorella instead which is the much better source and generally better cultivated as spirulina has been grown on human poop in some countries. Sun Chlorella is one of the best quality brands out there, very pristine and very easily digestible. 

@pluto  interesting article. There is sooo much controversy on this topic, it is really hard to know who to believe. Dr Morse says it is no necessary, Dr Clement and Greger say it is... I dunno anymore man :D Will keep on supplementing until I am convinced that I don't have to. Saw too many vegans get deficient on the internet but as she said, it may be a malabsorption issue.....still, there has to be a source from somewhere in order to have something to circulate. 

i will try

i added wakama seaweed to my diet, i will start to take b12 tommorow .

btw, i have 125  pmol/L and i feel great, is it possible?

Chlorella & Spirulina.

this is why I'm hesitant to go full vegan. I like plant foods and consume a good amount throughout the week. Kale, lettuce, tomato, beans, quinoa, broccoli, but I'll still have fish and chicken on the side. I don't really see how supplementation is the best way to go when it's laboratory produced vitamins. 

@SgtPepper Well, even though it is made in the lab, chicken and meat has a worse effect on your body and causes animals to die. What is stopping you from going vegan?

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@SgtPepper agreed with Max. B12 is water soluable vitamin means any excess gets peed out and is really easy for liver to get rid of.  The problems are with an excess of fat-soluable vits: A,D,E,K.

That being said, tens of millions of meat-eaters around the world supplement basic stuff like Vitamin C , K, Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium etc...look at all these multivitamins..it is a joke... cramping 30 nutrients in one pill and expecting to get away with it. 

Vegans are generally very conscious of the nutrition hence most only need to supplement B12 and D if they don't get out too often. Also there is much more to nutrition than vitamins and minerals, there are hundreds of other compounds like antioxidants and phytonutrients where supplemenents can't help much anyways. 

On 3.7.2018 at 8:49 PM, SgtPepper said:

this is why I'm hesitant to go full vegan. I like plant foods and consume a good amount throughout the week. Kale, lettuce, tomato, beans, quinoa, broccoli, but I'll still have fish and chicken on the side. I don't really see how supplementation is the best way to go when it's laboratory produced vitamins. 

in the meat indestury cows/chicken ( and so forth) get a synthetic vitamin b12 because they dont have their natural food., so no different between be vegan or carnevor .

better eating  vegan then unhealthy stressed and tortured animals.