Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vibivub

Advice for my first Solo Retreat

2 posts in this topic

So I finally managed to persuade my Mom that I could do a short 5 day Meditation/Life Purpose Solo Retreat. At first I wanted to book myself an isolated cabin like Leo but since my Mom argued that I am not old enough for that yet (I'm 16) we agreed that I could just lock myself in our House alone for 5 days during summer holiday.

I am excited for the challenge but I'm also a bit clueless on what I need to prepare for. Obviously I will remove all electronic devices and other potential distractions as well as stock up on healthy food and remove junk food. But is there anything else that I have to add/remove?

Also I am still not sure what I want to be doing in those 5 days. Sure, Meditation, Contemplation and Visualization but are there any specific techniques and exercises for a first time Solo Retreat?

Any Advice would be appreciated:D.

You need to remove everything. Any thing in the room will become a distraction. Remove books, pens, choice of clothing etc...

Your room should feel new and bare almost prison like but comfortable.

For your first retreat I would advise you have a strict timetable and dont be too ambitious.Pick 1 or 2 techniques  eg ) Walking and Sitting meditation , or contemplation and yoga and focus on that.

Dont aim for hours of meditation start with 4-6 hours and over time build up to 20-22.

As for techniques the best for long sittings are strong determination sitting or the meditation retreat classic, vipassana.  Decide before and draw up a 24hr plan. Any choice to make will become a strong distraction.

Wish you luck.

10 hours ago, Vibivub said:

So I finally managed to persuade my Mom that I could do a short 5 day Meditation/Life Purpose Solo Retreat. At first I wanted to book myself an isolated cabin like Leo but since my Mom argued that I am not old enough for that yet (I'm 16) we agreed that I could just lock myself in our House alone for 5 days during summer holiday.

I am excited for the challenge but I'm also a bit clueless on what I need to prepare for. Obviously I will remove all electronic devices and other potential distractions as well as stock up on healthy food and remove junk food. But is there anything else that I have to add/remove?

Also I am still not sure what I want to be doing in those 5 days. Sure, Meditation, Contemplation and Visualization but are there any specific techniques and exercises for a first time Solo Retreat?

Any Advice would be appreciated:D.