Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
REALNEGA

being aware of being aware

10 posts in this topic

can someone give me some clarification or some pointers on how to be aware of being aware? thanks.

Check out Rupert Spira's videos on this topic.

Basically, you can be aware of thoughts feelings perceptions sights sounds subtle moods etc etc, but awareness itself is not any of these things. Divert your attention away from the objects of your awareness, and direct them instead towards the subject itself, Awareness or I. 

A mini exercise I love to do:

ask yourself "Am I aware of X"... X can be a physical object in your field of vision, a feeling in your body, a sound, the thought "am I aware of X" itself...

Actively check if you are indeed aware of those things. ("Am I aware of that lamp?" Check. "Yes, I am aware of that lamp."

Try to move through several objects, taking full account of everything you could be aware of. (None of these things are that which you are seeking... Ultimate Reality, Self, God, etc.)

Then, ask yourself simply "Am I aware?"

Actively check if you are aware.

Where does awareness go to check if it is aware? Nowhere. It rests as itself, awareness being it's very nature.

It's like a flashlight that can shine lights on objects and illuminate them. But how can the flashlight shine light on itself? It can't. It can just stop being preoccupied with the objects it is lighting up, and instead rest as itself, and intuit what it is.

Or perhaps a better analogy, the sun that shines light on objects, which is self illuminated by its very nature. 

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

Well, technically, one cannot be aware of awareness itself, but only a reflection of that awareness. Its memory.

Edited by from chaos into self
mistyping

You know this endless cycle of going conscious and unconscious? Like you are super aware and then not even knowing when you fall back into ego? Well, become interested in what this "conscious state" actualy is. Just look for yourself.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

There are 4 physical levels of awareness. When you reach the 4th perspective of looking to yourself then the real thing starts. 

6 minutes ago, Quanty said:

There are 4 physical levels of awareness. When you reach the 4th perspective of looking to yourself then the real thing starts. 

Huh?

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Just focus your awareness on pure awareness itself.

It's that simple. But it requires building up a great concentration ability. One-pointed focus. The mind will struggle because awareness is empty, and the mind cannot latch onto it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:37 PM, REALNEGA said:

can someone give me some clarification or some pointers on how to be aware of being aware? thanks.

The pointers given by Leo and InfinitePotential are great.

I also second Rupert Spira’s videos. He talks a lot about being aware of being aware. I recommend Yoga of Consciousness by Gamana as well. I’m reading it atm, and it has many practices directed to make you aware of being aware.

It’s really simple, just be aware of being conscious. Everyone can do it, and that’s all it takes! The hard part is maintaining it. It requires a high level of concentration and surrender to Being.

Edited by BuddhaTree
grammarly error