Jonson

Meditation position

14 posts in this topic

Hi. 

How should I sit while meditating on a chair ? Should lay back or just sit straight ? 

I can't do the full lotus or half lotus. When i sit on the floor i can't really sit straight. 

Should I just sit the way it's the most comfortable? 

I just began a 30 days challenge to implement meditation? 

Also, should close my eyes or open them? 

Edited by Jonson

Half-squat Stance. Like in martial arts. 

I would suggest using a bit of time not to meditate, but really just to figure out how you're going to sit or it might bug you during meditation, even if you feel fine. Feeling comfortable for 5 minutes doesn't really mean you're going to be comfortable 20 minutes in, and feeling a bit uneasy at first doesn't mean you can't settle in and be fine later. Maybe you will feel that using a backrest is too easy on you, if you never tried sitting without and noticing it doesn't work. You can try seiza, if that's too hard on its own, put a pillow between your butt and your heels or sit on one of these fascia rolls, or do it on a yoga mat. Shavasana works very well for me, but many people have issues with getting drowsy, and it's a bit different to sitting in general.

I've tried meditating with my back straight and it's really uncomfortable but it did help me, I felt great afterwards. I don't feel it's increasing my awareness though, I can hear myself more when I don't sit up with my back straight

I'd suggest that you don't let not having the flexibility to sit in a specific position be an obstacle to start meditating. Just sit straight on a chair or a bench and start your meditation. What you can do is simultaneously start practicing ashtanga yoga. If you do it regularly, you will be amazed at how fast your body becomes more and more flexible, and at some point you'll be able to sit in lotus for sure :)

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

I first started in a chair, because I thought my back was too squirrely too do an on-the-floor position, but I realized that the Burmese position was very workable with my back, especially after 2 weeks of using it daily, so that's how I sit now. Anyway, if you prefer or need a chair, move your butt forward on it, so that your back isn't touching anything. You want a nice, straight back. Hands can rest on your knees or thighs, or you can fold them together in your lap. 

Eyes..….Zen urges eyes open, whereas Vipassana typically suggests closed eyes. I've done both, and they're both doable with practice. I do eyes closed 95% of the time. 

What you are going for is a position that feels comfortable, and helps you stay alert and relaxed. Like @Nahm mentioned, the spine should be straight. This is a kind of bio-feedback hack. A straight spine signals to the mind that there are reasons to stay alert. Lying down or reclining signals that its time to chill, and let the mind drift off.

Personally I used to sit in burmese position. Lately I have switched to using a meditationbench, as this puts let stress on my knees.

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

If you're comfortable with it, closing your eyes while sitting on a backed chair with both hands palms-down on your lap should work just fine. Just don't slouch or doze off.

No certain position required. It's easier when you are comfortable and with your spine straight.

Eyes closed, or half-open. Fully-open might be too much of a distraction.

Highly recommended to find a certain meditation spot and position and not change it unless neccessary for the upcoming 30 days of your challange.