Sparkist

High Dose Psychedelics - Alone or Not?

15 posts in this topic

I experimented recreationally with 'party drugs' for a couple of years in my early to mid 20's but I've not really taken true psychedelics. I had a very small dose of mushrooms with a group of friends once, at a party setting. That's about it. 

During this coming summer I will have roughly 4 weeks of continuous child-free time to play with. I am interested in trying a high dose of a psychedelic drug to expand my mind. Ultimately, it's a learning experience that I'm seeking. 

Are there any hard and fast rules in terms of setting that I should take into consideration? Is it something I should do solo? Is that safe? I'm taking prescribed medication for anxiety (short term)...is this an absolute no-no? 

If you're wanting to work towards enlightenment, I'd suggest doing it with intention, alone in a dark quiet room, as to not get distracted. You'll be able to go deep and view Truth. If you want a guided experience, that has it's benefits as well. I wouldn't be afraid of psychedelics. It won't kill you, and that fear will prevent your surrender to the experience. 

Edited by Jed Vassallo

Since you have 4 weeks free, I advise you to FIRST take a normal dose, and then if you think you can feel comfortable take that high dose if you want it so much. Still the most advisable thing to do would be to have first some several experiences in normal doses, not just one. There´s a hell of a difference between normal and high dose in for example mushrooms as you said.

@Jed Vassallo Thank you for your comment. I always said I'd never take acid as I was fearful of it. I'm changing my perspective but fear is definitely something I need to clear as much as possible before moving forward. 

@Nahm That's a very informative article, thank you for that. I think having a guide would be an important factor, now, for sure. 

@Javfly33 That's good advice, thank you. The first time I tried ecstasy I only had a small dose to see how my body and mind handled it. I think this is important in helping to free me from some concerns.

I think SSRI's or anything with maoi's can have potentially undesirable effects when combined with certain psychedelics - it's going to be a case by case thing. It is always wise to start at low doses and work your way up over weeks or months to see if there are any negative interactions. Some people report that the effect of the psychedelic is just weakened so that's not too bad. Anecdotally from internet research it's not an 'absolute no-no' but you should do your own studying in regards to the specific medication you're taking. 

Answering your main question isn't really easy. For some people it is going to be OK to take high doses alone and some find it preferable that way, but it comes with its risks and I don't think it's a wise idea unless you have a decent amount of previous experience with the substance. A lot if it comes down to what kind of person you are and if you're relatively stable. There are some people that shouldn't do psychedelics at all, let alone in high doses alone. 

Also, define high dose? Do you need to a high dose anyway? There's a whole lot to be experienced between just 2 to 3.5g

I did the Terrence McKenna 5 dried grams on silent darkness thing 2 summers ago. Locked myself in the master closet for about 5hrs. Nothing impressive or especially interesting happen Tbh. I prefer tripping alone during the day out in nature. The only caveat being that I need to be where there are zero people. The local park ain't gonna cut it lol. 

Definitely research your specific anti-anxiety drug to see if there are any possible reactions. 

Everyone's different, but if you're doing say a 5g+ dose of mushrooms and you're inexperienced, you should have a tripsitter. They shouldn't be hovering over you, though. Just in the same house in case you call out for them. That's it.

As far as dose, if we're talking mushrooms, I think a 4g+ dose would be considered high for a relative newbie. 

And I was just talking to a friend about this, but make sure you dose on a day that has gone relatively well for you. You can halfway induce a good day by paying attention to small, beautiful details of things you encounter that day. Get down on your knees and look at flowers, talk to a child, give thanks for the sun on your skin, call a friend you haven't touched base with in a while, things like that. Be at peace. You're still allowed to have anxiety about the trip, so don't worry about that ruining anything. 

Setting: an intimately familiar room is best. A place that means SAFETY to you. Clean the house the day before. Sounds silly, but the act of straightening the house has an effect of also straightening your mind. Be hydrated all day, but stop eating ~6 hours before the launch time. That'll keep any nausea at bay. 

You can do this. It will be like nothing you remember seeing in your life.

@Arman Thanks for your thoughtful response. I shall definitely do some research with regards to my specific meds in that case. Why the high dose? I've been doing some research and the general consensus has seemed to have been that a high dose is was really pushes you to a full ego death and lifts the veil entirely. That's the only reason I suggested a high dose. Although, in hindsight, I think your (and others' suggestions) to build up in dosage is very wise. I certainly don't want to take any silly risks. What sort of person would you say would fall into the category of 'shouldn't do psychedelics' in your opinion? 

@ChimpBrain That's very interesting that your 5 dried grams + darkness and silence didn't do much! I'm taking it that it wasn't your first experience with psychedelics? Nature 'sounds' wonderful, but I have some quite heavily ingrained phobias about certain bitey/stingy insects that I suspect might make my experience hellish! OR perhaps it could cure the phobias?! Am I willing to take the risk? Hmmm lol 

@PsiloPutty Thank you very much for all that great advice! I absolutely love a clean environment, so the house cleaning will certainly make me feel extra happy! Good tip re curbing the nausea too. Your last sentence made me very excited! Haha. I shall continue with my research and refine my intentions and very much look forward to this experience! 

@Sparkist If you didn't watch Leo's video on the subject that you should start from there.

Other than that, Psychedelics are harmless and not physically addictive. You can definitely do them solo but start with a low dose to see how your body reacts.

High dose is subjective.Of course you can take alone a high dose.Before taking the high dose, experiment with less heavy doses to understand how exactly it feels

@Nahm Haha you remembered! What cologne is it? (Lovely smells are my weakness, I'm afraid!)