Eudaimonia

I've been robbed

9 posts in this topic

Yes, as the title says someone just took away from me the money I earn with sacrifice, the thing is that I didn't felt angry, sad, or powerless, it just happened. Do you think this attitude will let people take advantage of me? Or is ok let the things go just like that?

Hi @Eudaimonia , I Hope You are doing Well ,

23 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

Yes, as the title says someone just took away from me the money I earn with sacrifice, the thing is that I didn't felt angry, sad, or powerless, it just happened. Do you think this attitude will let people take advantage of me? Or is ok let the things go just like that?

- I think the reason that You did not feel angry because There is a big amount of sadness deep inside of You that You have to work on ( I am not sure ).

-of course this attitued will let people take advantage of You and You will see many people steal everything from You Money, Time ......etc

-Work on getting Your money back ( very important ).

Best wishes

It won't let people take advantage of you if you take appropriate action even in that detached state. Appropriate action only matters in this case, not internal state, in my opinion anyway.

@Eudaimonia

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost.

@Eudaimonia

If the reason you don't care is because you're numb, apathetic or secretly don't think you deserve the money anyway, that's bad. But if you're truly this zen monk that can just let that shit go than congratulations.

My guess is it's somewhere closer to the first option. Did you make any attempt to get the money back?

I had my truck broken into and a bunch of shit stolen last year and had a similar reaction.  I noticed being surprised in real time by my lack of concern.  I was mainly annoyed that I'd have to go to the DMV and get a new license.  In my case it was only about $500 worth of money and possessions.  Had I been literally robbed, like had my bank accounts drained somehow, I would not have been nearly as cool about it.

Sympathise with the person who did it. This was an act of desperation, a desperate struggle for a little piece of happiness. If someone is willing to go as low as to break into trucks, their life is so miserable that they deserve nothing but love and compassion. In the long term, you will not miss any of those things....to them perhaps they get to fight another day , feed their children or just make themselves happy at least for a while with another dose of heroine....

I don't defend the crime they did but seeing it from the other person's perspective will make things easier to absorb : ) 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569  That's how I try to look at it whenever someone does something that would otherwise tick me off. I've said mean things to people before, I've accidentally pulled right out in front of people in traffic, I've stolen from people in my life, I've used people to get what I want before. Any human action that hurts another person is something that I either have done or am capable of doing. I try to keep that sort of compassion/empathy in my mind as much as possible, and understand that it most likely wasn't done with the intent of hurting me. Even if I feel it's personal and malicious, I can (try to) look at it as my karma playing out.