haguga

Boredom

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

@Leo Gura I am curious about the topic of boredom that you mentioned in the third video from your solo retreat. 

I was suffering under phases of enormous boredom since my teenage years (now I'm 30). Your description really resonated with me, that's exactly how it felt to me as well.

A while ago I discovered that my boredom was really apathy due to surpressed fear and guilt. Especially interesting was the observation that in the 1-2 weeks after intense psychedelic experiences those feelings would come up with to this point unknown intensity. My strategy in dealing with boredom then was to deal with it completely on the level of sensations (accept, surrender, transfrom etc.) and as little as possible intellectually. So far, I have been quite successful with it – but of course there is always the possibility to have gotten it completely backwards and overlooking something obvious.

What is your take on boredom? Where do you think it comes from? And how do you deal with it? Could it actually be that six 5Meo-Trips within such a short period of time actually triggered very deep and existential fears (of dying?) that you suppressed which threw you into a deep state of apathy/boredom? 

All best!

Edited by haguga
taking out unnecessary explanation

Do you stimulate your mind a lot? Stop doing it.

You mean TV, Phone, etc? Actually no. Why? o.O

@haguga There is no such thing as the experiance of reality. Boredom stems from the illusion of thinking there is..

Only reality is.

The topic of boredom interest me too, because when it comes to other negative feelings, I learned to open up, feel them fully, and let them go. But boredom is another kind of negative feeling. It's kinda passive and sticky and I'm almost always not so sure how to deal with it. It's not like I get bored too often but I'd usually get myself distracted with a low consciousness activity to get rid of it.

13 hours ago, cetus56 said:

@haguga There is no such thing as the experiance of reality. Boredom stems from the illusion of thinking there is..

Only reality is.

The unenlightened looks for a way to deal with things...

Bordem is just something you will have to face down on the journey to enlightenment. The ego is like a shark in water, always moving forward, always looking to the future or past to escape the present moment. Bordem is really just the ego being present and slowly dissolving. It takes a long time to dissolve. Many hundreds of hours.

Eventually, if you can face it for long enough, there should be a breakthrough, and once that happens, Being will become magical and interesting. The ego-mind finds Being boring.

The point of solo retreats is to face the bordem head on. You can't really face it effectively without doing long retreats. Ordinary life has far too many distractions. It takes a few weeks of isolation to really face it.

There's no shortcut. You gotta man up and make the time to face it. It will be very challenging. Especially if you have media addictions.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 hours ago, Isaac Ben said:

(...) But boredom is another kind of negative feeling. It's kinda passive and sticky and I'm almost always not so sure how to deal with it.

I saw a video recently of David R. Hawkins sayin that apathy and depression are symptoms of surpessed emotions. They can't really delt with other than to be willing to look at the underlying fear, guilt, shame, whatever - I mean, even surpressed love ("heartbreak") can lead to depression.

In my case I think this boredom is a form of apathy due to surpressed emotions. So to ask myself what underlies it and be willing to look at that ends the boredom.

Maybe that's worth a try....?

@Leo Gura you mean there is not necessarily anything "under" the boredom that causes it, but it's a symptom of keeping your awareness in the present moment?

That's interesting, I'll try to be more mindful of it in the future. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by haguga
Got it wrong the first time