Joseph Maynor

Are people having their egos triggered over the new video on Intelligence?

61 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Outer said:

How can you measure distance with a ruler?

The measurement IS the points.

that's very easy if you build something the ruler is just something with what you compare proportion in relation to each other. it's also important to transfer proportions on to paper.

Edited by now is forever

27 minutes ago, Outer said:

And IQ is compared with other measurements to see which predict for example scholarly achievements, better, which was what it was originally designed for. IQ is the best predictor for a bunch of things.

like your competency in getting layed?

sorry, but what is a bunch of things? does that have anything to do with how you are? or with life, or even with the quality of you or your work?

it can't say anything, if you would compare two people with the same iq, someone without education (analphabetic) and one with good education to each other do you think the iq would say anything about them?

Edited by now is forever

@Outer You and Leo probably have different definitions for intelligent. Intelligence, as you define it and conceive it, is linked very strongly to IQ. I'm guessing that for Leo, the intelligence that IQ tests measure is only a (facet) /(possible expression) of intelligence. 

Groundbreaking innovation in mathematics and science comes from creativity and out of the box thinking, and that's not something IQ can grasp. That's not to say that IQ doesn't mean anything.

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@Outer i didn't want to say there is no intelligence if it's not adequately measurable, and i think it's amazing if people have some kind of speciality, it's what makes the world rich in variety.

Edited by now is forever

1 hour ago, Outer said:

How can you measure distance with a ruler?

The measurement IS the points.

Dunno but I just measured something using a ruler and it was just shy of 6 inches.

Feels bad man :|

@blazed Always measure in centimeters. Better for the ego. :) 

@Outer What’s your “and then” for IQ? Like, if IQ is high... then... someone will make more money, be happier, be more compassionate, invent something helpful to those suffering, have more freedom, function better socially, build their dream life, etc. What’s the “and then” for you? Or is there no “and then”? Like is it just for the sake of knowing or being able to tell someone? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

What use is IQ other than to be pidgeonholed (by others) or to pidgeonhole others? Isn't it just a system for control (by the ego)? After all, whether I know my IQ or not am I not the same intelligent person?

All stories and explanations are false.

@Outer that was smart, but just copy paste.

i mean the act of copy pasting was smart. because it's copy paste i didn't read it.

Edited by now is forever

4 hours ago, Outer said:

like how a ruler is

A ruler is also an invention.

Einstein taught you this 100 years ago. The length of a ruler changes depending on its velocity relative to the observer.

There is no such thing as "a ruler" in any objective sense.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, LastThursday said:

What use is IQ other than to be pidgeonholed (by others) or to pidgeonhole others? Isn't it just a system for control (by the ego)? After all, whether I know my IQ or not am I not the same intelligent person?

It can be used that way, but it can also be used for many other purposes. This is especially useful for figuring out specific treatments for the intellectually disabled community, or recommending accelerations for people in the gifted community. This can also be useful for people in the twice exceptional community (Delayed in some areas and gifted in others).

In these scenarios, those who are knowledgable in this field make sure that it isn’t used for some ego rising use on judging whether people are better or worse — IQ tests don’t predict success and happiness in life, but it helps adapt classes to their needs.

It’s simply treated as a difference — to give respect to the different communites who really require it. People are treated as they can improve or worsen in progress as they go on — and aren’t defined by their IQ test, but it helps to have a starting point on where they can work on their abilities.

For most average people outside these groups though, yes, it is often used for egotistical purposes. And those who are just trying to take it “Just for the kicks”, or out of a bet to gain some comfirmation for their ego shouldn’t take it. 

I’m twice exceptional myself after all, though my delays have found treatments so well that most people don’t notice that side of me. 

You know. . . most of . . . most of the time.

Edited by WaterfallMachine

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

3 hours ago, Outer said:

Creativity is linked with what IQ measures.

@Outerdepends on what you mean by "linked" there. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao I can agree with that. Hearing and being part of the gifted community myself, IQ mostly tests memory, speed, verbal and analytical abilities. Many I’ve seen aren’t actually creative, and actually those with higher IQ can be less likely to be creative. For many, creativity is a learned skill brought from hard work and development — as it was for me as well. 

People don’t seem to be aware of how giftedness can be associated with many cons. Most people just imagine people who are smart and perfect at everything — but this is a far picture of what many are. When the brain is more powerful, it isn’t just the intellectual abilities that are more powerful, but also what tends to be the emotional and the sensory.

Giftedness also can lead to being overly sensitive senses — possibly resulting in sensory processing disorder — that can make very loud noises or bright lights literally painful. It can also lead to higher emotional sensitivity — as most of the gifted were introduced to IQ tests through their parents wondering why they cry so much. IQ is natural, but EQ is still learned.

Just wanted to put this misunderstanding in place. Thanks for listening.

Edited by WaterfallMachine

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

“We did some research just as the government was shutting us down, and we’d had senior scientists taking what we call low doses of LSD. That would be 100 micrograms, a hundred millionth of a gram, and we basically gave them a safe, supportive setting. We gave them a couple of hours of free ranging inside their mind, and we then asked them at the peak of the experience to work on their own chosen problem—an important technical problem—and I mean very technical: theory of the photon, chip design, engineering problems, architecture problems, and so forth. Things that they had hitherto worked on and not been successful. That was our criteria during the psychedelic trip, because we wanted them to care a lot about problem solving.

There’s been a lot of stuff on every level about Steve Jobs, and my favorite headline is “Steve Jobs Had LSD. We Have the iPhone.”* From what he reported, it was one of the most important experiences of his life. And to me that meant that he did it well—did it carefully. He was looking at the material world as well as his inner world”

https://www.consciouslifestylemag.com/psychedelic-trip-safely-explore/

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Outer You are out of your depth friend. You speak of things of which you have not yet become conscious.

Don't bring JP into discussions of nonduality please. He's no clue what nonduality really entails, nor does anyone who takes him seriously.

Rather than pushing your ideology, why not sit down and become conscious of what meaning really is?

Look closely. You have no idea what it is yet.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

7 hours ago, blazed said:

Dunno but I just measured something using a ruler and it was just shy of 6 inches.

Feels bad man :|

6 hours ago, Nahm said:

@blazed Always measure in centimeters. Better for the ego. :) 

even in measuring your "ego" also always go for proportion. can be part of the success of your relation. what fits, fits together.

Edited by now is forever

3 hours ago, now is forever said:

even in measuring your "ego" also always go for proportion. can be part of the success of your relation. what fits, fits together.

@Nahm

I was measuring my cell phone, the disapointment was in the screen space, what you guys on about ego n sutff ;)