Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Salvijus

Other ways to self-actualize

13 posts in this topic

Sing, dance, play an instrument

Do something good for others. Maybe clean the kitchen or smth, feed some birds. You know, volunteering ;) As you do something for others without expecting anything in return you will be doing karma yoga. I hope you won't discard what I just said like some nonsence :D It takes a lot of brain to understand the significence and benefit for you to do selfless activity ;)

Have you noticed when you try to do something for others there's that little voice in back of your head that says "what is it for Me?"  Removing this is something you can work towords. It contributes strongly to your spirituality. Your life slowly becomes not about you but about serving god :) Living just for yourself is the poorest way to exist:)

I suggest to be awere now of that immediat reaction "no way am I doing that" kind of thing :D:D 

Haha. Have a nice day ;)

Edited by Salvijus

Well, if all is one, then doesn’t that make you part of what you’re serving? People are supposed to be equal, and that might mean not putting yourself at a higher priority to some, but it could also mean not putting yourself at a lower priority to many.

Take care.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

6 hours ago, Salvijus said:

Have you noticed when you try to do something for others there's that little voice in back of your head that says "what is it for Me?"  Removing this is something you can work towords. It contributes strongly to your spirituality. Your life slowly becomes not about you but about serving god :) Living just for yourself is the poorest way to exist:)

Good point. Thanks

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H

7 hours ago, Salvijus said:

Do something good for others. Maybe clean the kitchen or smth, feed some birds. You know, volunteering ;) As you do something for others without expecting anything in return you will be doing karma yoga.

A doing with a doer, in which one thinks himself as a doer, is action. As long as I remain a doer, whatever I do is action. Even if I become a monk, it is an act, an action. Even renunciation becomes an action if a doer is present in the act. You do something good, and you think it is done by you, you are the doer, then ego is there. 

For a karma yogi every action is egoless, and therefore it is inaction. Even when he is doing something, he is really in inaction. Karma Yoga is the effort to go directly from doing to witnessing. 

3 hours ago, WaterfallMachine said:

Well, if all is one, then doesn’t that make you part of what you’re serving? 

In theory yes, in practice no.

In theory you are already enlightened and infinite and omnipresent. In practice you are just a person :D that's why we do all this meditation and everything.

3 hours ago, WaterfallMachine said:

People are supposed to be equal, and that might mean not putting yourself at a higher priority to some, but it could also mean not putting yourself at a lower priority to many.

Take care.

Well actually that's the whole point of selfless activity :D to put everything higher then yourself. To kill your proudness and arroganve.

Sages like mooji and sadhguru or smth like Jesus always say. I'm only serving you. My life is in response to human needs. I have no personal agenda to achieve. This is the quality that makes them divine beings.

I can tell you my experience when I was in Mooji's ashram doing volunteering. First day as I was doing it, it felt like torture :D "why am doing this? Is this some kind of free labour? Am I being exploited? What is it for Me?" But I knew this is my ego burning, all my pride and arrogance is washing away. In the end, when I did some considarable amount of volunteering I started to experience love and joy for no reason. The more opportunity I had to do something good for others the heppier I was :D

There's even an advanced level of practice in sadhguru's Isha Yoga center. To go in your underwear and beg for some charity. I have a friend who went through that and he says. "You can say goodbye to all your proudness and arrogance forever." :D

So yeah. You don't necessarily have to do to such extremes but just cleaning dishes or making somebody some breakfast for no reason :D there're many opportunities throughout the day where you can serve somebody, make use of that :)

9 hours ago, Salvijus said:

Have you noticed when you try to do something for others there's that little voice in back of your head that says "what is it for Me?"  

Sometimes I don't realise that I am doing this lol. Ego can get ya without you even realising. I try to force out this internal monologue.

You're not human, you're the universe

3 hours ago, Salvijus said:

There's even an advanced level of practice in sadhguru's Isha Yoga center. To go in your underwear and beg for some charity. I have a friend who went through that and he says. "You can say goodbye to all your proudness and arrogance forever." :D

So yeah. You don't necessarily have to do to such extremes but just cleaning dishes or making somebody some breakfast for no reason :D there're many opportunities throughout the day where you can serve somebody, make use of that :)

In my experience with volunteering with talking to those with trauma though, I had a different experience. My childhood baggage made me think I was unimportant, and deserved no rest and care for myself. So at the start of volunteering, I just grew more and more depressed, more in need of being selfish.

When I allowed myself to gain help for depression, only then could I feel open to giving to others and feel happy doing it. You misunderstand in that in everyone's experience, they are too selfish. Some are too selfless or full of guilt that they forget taking care of themselves at all.

The whole idea of forgetting yourself and putting everyone above you is what leads people to be codependent in abusive relationships. This is the importance of equality.

Edited by WaterfallMachine

― Socrates

29 minutes ago, WaterfallMachine said:

Some are too selfless that they forget taking care of themselves at all.

That's the whole purpose of volunteering. To forget yourself. To kill your ego pride and arrogance. To become a vessal for god to reside.

One who is empty of himself is full of god and grace.

2 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

That's the whole purpose of volunteering. To forget yourself. To kill your ego pride and arrogance. To become a vessal for god to reside.

One who is empty of himself is full of god and grace.

But for some people, volunteering will not allow them the growth they need. For some people, it's not the ego and arrogance they kill during it. It's the love and self respect they need for themselves. Healing for that lies elsewhere.

Self love is as important as love to others, and to forget yourself entirely is to forget that message.

― Socrates

@WaterfallMachine sorry I don't see how doing good for others can turn out to bad for you. You're making things top complicated :D just stop this philosophy and do something good for others. You will see you will feel wanderful :)

I'm just encouraging people to do some simple things like maybe pick up some litter and throw it away or smth like that. I'm not talking about saving all the disabled people. Not yet anyways :D

Edited by Salvijus

11 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

@WaterfallMachine sorry I don't see how doing good for others can turn out to bad for you. You're making things top complicated :D just stop this philosophy and do something good for others. You will see you will feel wanderful :)

I didn't say doing good for others will turn out bad. I'm saying too much of doing good for others can turn out bad.

Well, aren't I doing something good for others by giving insights to others? Kindness does not always come in the form of charity or well wishes, but can also come from debate and philosophy.

And I agree. It feels wonderful.

Edited by WaterfallMachine

― Socrates

Awesome! Singing did wonders for me.