Everyday

How to Learn a New Language ?

17 posts in this topic

I just started learning Dutch. i am currently using Anki and fluent forever pronunciation flashcards.

Why do i want to learn it in the first place? Because i want  to understand the Dutch culture and people at a deeper level,for uni and also professionally later on.

Get a Dutch girlfriend 

Where are you from? 

I am Dutch. Dutch is a hard language. The sounds. And also the grammar. 

Edited by SFRL

@zoey101 Thank you very much, I`ll look into it 

@SFRL Interesting idea 

Off topic: I always thought that you were American

Edited by Everyday

Hmm I'm not trying to discourage you, but that'll be challenging to pull off in a place where you can get around really well just speaking in English. You will really have to force yourself to use Dutch even if someone is trying to be polite by switching to English to help you understand better. When you go to the university, don't hang around with the international students, go and make your best friends be locals who will speak in Dutch with each other and with you. If you don't get to use it daily literally for everything, you'll remain stuck in a basic classroom-level forever.

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

Cool you are learning my language,

Veel succes!

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@Everyday I moved to the US 10 years ago. 

I have Americanized a lot. I am pretty much 50/50 now. 

On 6/10/2018 at 7:46 AM, Mondsee said:

don't hang around with the international students, go and make your best friends be locals who will speak in Dutch with each other and with you

@Mondsee  Thank you a lot! I never thought about this!

@Joseph Maynor Thank you and i will buy it in a few days.

@Max_V  Can you teach me how to swear in Dutch?B|

@SFRL This makes sense now with your other posts that i read previously.

Edited by Everyday

@Everyday get yourself in a context in which you have no choice other than speaking the language you want to learn.

for instance, i use this forum as a means to improve my english

unborn Truth

use total immersion/Do everything in that language. That's what scott h young did.

@BjarkeT i will try to and think in Dutch. Thanks

@ajasatya  This forum helped me to improve my English too. And I`ll be in a situation like this as soon as I`ll start uni (especially at the market stores and at restaurants)

22 hours ago, ajasatya said:

you have no choice other than speaking the language you want to learn.

Thank you all, and I am working on a plan to implement all your advice step-by-step

Edited by Everyday

@Everyday Each brain is wired differently. For my brain, direct translations did more harm than good. Pimsler's translation style did not work for me. I needed to learn new words and phrases with images and sentiment - not direct translations. 

Also, I got too attached with proper grammar which was a hindrance when trying to speak with natives. For me, I spend 80% of my time on listening comprehension and 20% on grammar.

Lastly, I would prioritize my goals. Are you primarily interested in conversations with Dutch people? Or reading / writing in Dutch? Speaking, listening, reading and writing are different skills and brain processes. 

There is some nice apps where u can connect with natives and speak with them over phone calls or texts, try hellotalk for instance, it's what I used to use to improve my french

33 minutes ago, Pernani said:

There is some nice apps where u can connect with natives and speak with them over phone calls or texts, try hellotalk for instance, it's what I used to use to improve my french

iTalki.com is a great place to meet natives and chat over skype

@Everyday im Flemish (Belgian Dutch (it's the same))) asother tongue. If you wanna chat in Dutch hit me up (if it helps you)

Edited by Tistepiste

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.