Dodo

If there is no self, who is happy?

52 posts in this topic

We are looking for happiness. They say happiness is found with Enlightenment. They also say Enlightenment is the dropping of the self.

Simple and obvious question then would be: Who is happy, who is enlightened if there is no self?

Perhaps there is a self after all.

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

@Dodo I was never looking for happiness, I was looking for Truth. Happiness is your default state, but ego blocks it. You are right, no one is happy and enlightened when no self is realised. It is like passing through a gateless gate.

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H

3 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

@Dodo I was never looking for happiness, I was looking for Truth. Happiness is your default state, but ego blocks it. You are right, no one is happy and enlightened when no self is realised. It is like passing through a gateless gate.

You are hinting that there is a self beyond ego.

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

Just now, Saumaya said:

Nope, self is the ego

Then you are lying that happiness is my default state

Happiness is the default state. Happy?

Who knows this? How does a "who" know this, if it's only the experience of a "no-who"?

Edited by Dodo

6 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Who knows this? How does a "who" know this, if it's only the experience of a "no-who"?

Find out for yourself B|

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H

Find out for yourself B|

Who are you sending to find out? 

8 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

Find out for yourself B|

We already established, if you are correct then enlightenment does not bring happiness, because there will be no me to experience it. So basically you are sending me for a wild goose chase in order to satisfy your ego? 

15 minutes ago, DnoReally said:

Yes, awareness is the self beyond ego.

@Dodo

If 1+1=3  what is 2?

Concepts, my friend.

Happiness occurs, actually no one is happy.

Just now, Truth Addict said:

@Dodo

If 1+1=3  what is 2?

Concepts, my friend.

When I am happy, I am happy. Also 1+1 can't be 3. 

11 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

@Dodo

If 1+1=3  what is 2?

Concepts, my friend.

When I am happy, happiness is happening to me, awareness.  When I am sad, sadness is happening to me, awareness. That's my experience. My experience is also happening to me, awareness. 

@Dodo

Actually 1+1 can't be 2. It's just a concept, in reality though, 1+1=1 because the process of combination implies oneness ultimately. You can't combine stuff and get something other than one, if you do get, then you're wrong.

"Happiness occurs, no one is happy" is mere dogma for me, I don't really understand this statement. But I like it, it sounds fancy. ?

Edited by Truth Addict

2 hours ago, Dodo said:

We are looking for happiness. They say happiness is found with Enlightenment. They also say Enlightenment is the dropping of the self.

Simple and obvious question then would be: Who is happy, who is enlightened if there is no self?

Perhaps there is a self after all.

This has been my biggest difficulty with working towards Enlightenment. So far no one here has really answered this. People can have opinions, beliefs or concepts of what is there beyond a Self/Ego. Some say it is impossible, as there can be no human existence, without at least some Ego. To have none is death. One cannot answer this question without having achieved it. Hence the conundrum. Does one spend their life working towards something that they can't understand, or even know is possible, just to basically kill themselves in the end? If true enlightenment, which is death of Self occurs, there is no self to enjoy it. So isn't it better to be a Self and enjoy it, for as long as you're alive? You'll be dead soon enough. Why waste the gift on trying to get there faster? Hopefully @Leo Gura weighs in on this. 

Edited by Jed Vassallo

Can a thought be?
In the absence of thought...what is?

Beingness is joyfulness, with no enjoyer.

17 minutes ago, who chit said:

Beingness is joyfulness, with no enjoyer.

How can you know this, without having experienced Being without Self/Ego? Only a handful of humans in human history have ever experienced this. Even Leo isn't there yet. Without direct experience of Truth, isn't it all just conjecture and theory?