Ether

How do you handle with a daily 10 hour meditation retreat?

25 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Etagnwo said:

Exactly 

uh?

I have been able to go 1h08mins by myself. I was able to go 1 hour two times by myself.

Multiple times 40 minutes.

Doing 10h sitting meditation a day is not good for your body. In a Viapassana retreat you usually alternate beween 1h sitting, 1h walking.

Going to retreat is really though, but that is kinda the point of doing it.

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

32 minutes ago, Erlend K said:

Doing 10h sitting meditation a day is not good for your body. In a Viapassana retreat you usually alternate beween 1h sitting, 1h walking.

Going to retreat is really though, but that is kinda the point of doing it.

Isnt there smaller time of meditation retreats?

Before answering how do you handle 10 hour meditation retreat, think about how to NOT handle 10 hour meditation retreat. Just sit down for a couple of hours (minimum), ponder this question, develop a theory, test it test it test it , and if the theory doesn't correspond with your (ingenious) experiments.  ,  develop another one and then another one and then another one  and then another one and then  another one and then  another one and then  another one and then  another one and then  another one and then  another one and then until you arrive at a theory (or something which looks like one) which you think MIGHT be correct. Now that you know how to NOT handle 10 hour meditation retreat , you MIGHT (with the infinite grace of God) come up with an (ingenious)  solution to how to handle 10 hour meditation retreat. 

Edited by Ibn Sina

"Whatever you do or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "   - Goethe

My Blog- Writing for Therapy

2 hours ago, Outer said:

no

I should have specified Mahashi Vipassana. It is true tho that walking meditation is discourged by Goenka. I have never attended a Goenka retreat, but I believe this is one of the shortcommings of Goenkas method. It's not for nothing that walking meditation has allways been a central practice of Buddhism. 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

18 minutes ago, Ether said:

@Erlend K So, how do you handle 10 hours?

I'm not sure if I understand your question. 

My first published essay

2 minutes ago, Erlend K said:

I'm not sure if I understand your question. 

How are you able to go through 10 hours of meditation. Not quitting, just straight focus?

I'm not sure I could do it at home, never tried. But if you are at a retreat it's kinda just what you do. You know you are there to meditate. You went through some hussle to plan, mentaly prepare for and travel to the retreat. You probably spend some money and dedicated some of your preciouss vacation days to do this. And now your there. You really don't want to quit at this point. So you use your wilpower to just keep at it. 

My first published essay

1 hour ago, Ether said:

@Erlend K So, how do you handle 10 hours?

It's much easier then you think. When the atmosphere is right, everyone is commited....

It's just much easier then you think that's all :D people with no expererince of meditation handle 10days. But doing the same at home would be a torture.

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

On 06/06/2018 at 9:06 PM, Salvijus said:

It's much easier then you think. When the atmosphere is right, everyone is commited....

It's just much easier then you think that's all :D people with no expererince of meditation handle 10days. But doing the same at home would be a torture.

Everyone meditates in a group?

Everyone together :) it creates a very supportive atmosphere.

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

Imo it's better to do meditation in shorter periods. 

Imo twelve 5 minute meditations are better than one hour long for example.

Meditation the way I use it means being aware of being awareness.

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

@Dodo I rather do it all in one take.

I meditate for 20\30\40 mins in one take.

For an hour, I might meditate one for 40mins than another for 20mins

1 hour strong determination (no movement) 

You are not supposed to handle sittings. You are supposed to learn how to stay with equanimity. 

In a 10 day retreat is one hour sittings with breaks in between. 10 days is optimal to really get the mind quiet and get into the technique of vipassana. 

You are going there to hurt yourself really bad and then see why it was needed.

The goal is to be completly balanced no matter what is happening and in a retreat you are forced to learn that by experiencing yourself. 

5 minutes ago, cirkussmile said:

1 hour strong determination (no movement) 

You are not supposed to handle sittings. You are supposed to learn how to stay with equanimity. 

In a 10 day retreat is one hour sittings with breaks in between. 10 days is optimal to really get the mind quiet and get into the technique of vipassana. 

You are going there to hurt yourself really bad and then see why it was needed.

The goal is to be completly balanced no matter what is happening and in a retreat you are forced to learn that by experiencing yourself. 

After I feel inner peace, do I keep on meditating?

So, you are saying it can make my mind silent? Temporary or permanently?

Get good at sitting for a hour strong determination and it'll tremendously help for a retreat. You don't have to do all 10 hours. In Vipassana, you have the choice to either meditate in your room or in the hall, but at least 3 one hour sits together with everyone. I've laid down or dosed off a good share of my day at a retreat because of the agonizing pain of brain surgery.  

25 minutes ago, Ether said:

After I feel inner peace, do I keep on meditating?

So, you are saying it can make my mind silent? Temporary or permanently?

You have to see this as a way of living. 

The goal with Vipassana is full liberation and a quiet mind. 

Even enlightend masters have to check their ego from time to time. 

Are you interested or do you just want attention and delaying your own progress? When is the time to get going? When are you gonna be serious about this? 

If you want inner peace you have to start prioritizing it and make it number 1. 

Just answer to yourself if you are ready or not. If you’re not ready then you would probably be happier forgetting everything you know about this and enjoy your life like you are used to. 

If you are ready... book a Vipassana retreat and see if it make things more clear. Staying where you are has stopped working for you. 

@cirkussmile Not really. My mind has never been more still xD Well, godamn, people are making a lot of assumptions about me arent they? xD