Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sage_Elias

Why do monks shave their heads ?

9 posts in this topic

Sadhguru, as well Yogananda spoke about the importance of the hair on our head... Yogananda said that the human being is like an upturned tree with the hair being our roots and our hair is an extension of our nervous system.

Zen monks on the other hand make it a regular practice to shave their head bald.

There seems to be disagreements in the spiritual community regarding hair on our head...what do you guys and gals think ?

@Sage_Elias Zen monks have a rule called 'Decision that eliminates all other decisions'. In this case, shaving one's head would eliminate many other things like owning and using a hair brush, hair care, buying/making hair products (shampoos, etc). They strive for simplicity and not having hair makes life more simple. Just my 2 cents.

@Sage_Elias , my 2 cents...hair or the lack of hair does not matter.  No spiritual significance.

But as Natasha said, it does simplify things to shave your head.

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

My question is do they only shave their head?

I think it's because they live in communities so especially from back in the days it prevented lice and flees. 

Now it's probably more tradition and uniformity. 

Edited by SFRL

Just now, voxun said:

My question is do they only shave their head?

Never heard of anyone grooming their pubes so I don't think keeping some hair would be a problem hahahha

On 6/6/2018 at 8:25 AM, Sage_Elias said:

Sadhguru, as well Yogananda spoke about the importance of the hair on our head... Yogananda said that the human being is like an upturned tree with the hair being our roots and our hair is an extension of our nervous system.

Zen monks on the other hand make it a regular practice to shave their head bald.

There seems to be disagreements in the spiritual community regarding hair on our head...what do you guys and gals think ?

maybe? Their Degrees of consciousness makes them see what is the importance of having a hair? .. 

My examples.

Monks shave to disconnect from physically/attachments ect.., more focused on spirit.

Others like Native Americans grow hair to connect to nature/physically ect.., more focused on the experience of the whole.

Sometimes i grow long hair, other times i keep it short. Short is easier to maintain but long is more of a challenge to overcome.

Other times when i have been through a dark path, i shave everything off to release old energy and disconnect/start fresh. Play with it how you wish.

Play the game of life, there are no rules, this is your life :)

B R E A T H E