Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chives99

The ego in lucid dreams

6 posts in this topic

When you lucid dream it really feels like you can control things and decide what to do, because your ego is still intact unlike normal dreaming where you aren't conscious of anything and are like holy fuck that was a dream when you wake up.

When you lucid dream you know its not real, but the biggest joke of all is thinking that you are real, this feeling that you are your body and that you're deciding to do stuff. You don't even think any of the thoughts that are arising, because you do not exist.

Reality is an infinite hallucination, no different from the dream you had last night

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston

What is also fascinating is the levels of lucidity you can achieve, with the lower levels having limited access to waking memory, still can get false memories, make weird choices that you may not have if your waking ego were in charge.... you are "you", but not the complete you, and once you wake up, you completely realize it. 

At what do you become "you"? (whoever that is) 

Of course not everyone experiences low levels of lucidity like that, as it may depend on experience, talent, brain power, etc. 

Edited by the_end_of_me

Is reality a hallucination, or just you?

It's easy to say reality is hallucination, but here's the thing... We label our experience as "reality". Notice the problem? We use our ego/thoughts to describe reality. When we say reality is a hallucination, that's an identity. That is your knowledge and that is used to strength your ego by gaining something from that concept/thought.

Here's a thought, when you're actually lucid dreaming, can you tell if it isn't real or not? Not after the dream but during it? I've never done it myself, would be cool to get some insight on that because I know normal dreams can actually be perceived as "real", to me at least. It just shows that it's possible that what we "see" is not in actuality.

Whenever we say "yes, reality is this", what we say isn't in actuality, because it's our own construction. It's what you "THINK" it is.

Silence what you think/know, and really open up to the truth.

Great insight

Edited by B_Naz

You're not human, you're the universe

@B_Naz yes, when lucid you know it's not "real".  There's an aha moment. Sometimes for me it's like, "oh ok, duh..." Even in the low levels of lucidity with limited ego memory, you know it's a dream, otherwise you are just dreaming of being lucid (yes that's unfortunately possible!) 

It is like playing a virtual reality game with perfect graphics but a ton of bugs lol.... 

And yes, it's a great (free) example that teaches one that reality is tangible. 

Edited by the_end_of_me

6 minutes ago, the_end_of_me said:

@B_Naz yes, when lucid you know it's not "real".  There's an aha moment. Sometimes for me it's like, "oh ok, duh..." Even in the low levels of lucidity with limited ego memory, you know it's a dream 

Ahh I see, I've never really experimented with it. But the goal would be to see everything for the first time, without input from the memory.

It's why I find dreams to feel real, since during the moment, there is no memory but then I actually have a memory of the dream "feeling" real after I've waken up. It's quite insane how memory changes EVERYTHING. Takes a lot of work to realize this, something I probably came across accidentally. But who knows shrugs...

You're not human, you're the universe

@B_Naz  no past, no you, no you no future 

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston