littleBIG

Need help with my views about money

10 posts in this topic

Leo says money is a negative value. I do have some negative motivations (I don't want to be broke or work a lot of hours, can't afford things, etc), I also have some positive motivations (money gives me freedom and time to do things I want, I can take care of my family, etc.) I don't want to lie to myself, I want to be rich. What's wrong with that? One thing I heard is I shouldn't think about getting rich, instead think about providing value to others. But in the end, I do that for money. For example, I could be running a successful business selling cheese. I don't really care about cheese, I'm just running it for the money, if there was no money, I wouldn't do it. There are also things that I would like to provide to others but I won't get much return from, for example making good tutorials on something I love on YouTube. Is there anything wrong with my thinking? I want master entrepreneurship and money but Leo is making money seem like some evil entity to not chase after. 

Money isn’t evil. It’s a tool which can be used for good or evil. 

I think what Leo is trying to get across is that the pursuit of wealth is hallow and unfulfilling. I can affirm this as I chased money in real estate for about a year until I realized that It wasn’t going to fulfill me. I also heard a man say once that he spent ten years of his life chasing money, and looking back now he said he wasted that ten years. 

Theres nothing wrong with wanting money but it should be a bi product of wanting something greater. Find the impact you want to have on the world, the work you love to do the most. Not because it makes you money but because you actually love and enjoy the work you’re doing. Find the way you can provide value to others using your greatest gift. Find that, master it, and wealth will flow to you. 

1 minute ago, Slade said:

I think what Leo is trying to get across is that the pursuit of wealth is hallow and unfulfilling. I can affirm this as I chased money in real estate for about a year until I realized that It wasn’t going to fulfill me. I also heard a man say once that he spent ten years of his life chasing money, and looking back now he said he wasted that ten years. 

Theres nothing wrong with wanting money but it should be a bi product of wanting something greater. Find the impact you want to have on the world, the work you love to do the most. Not because it makes you money but because you actually love and enjoy the work you’re doing. Find the way you can provide value to others using your greatest gift. Find that, master it, and wealth will flow to you. 

I couldn't agree more! Just thought to add that once you find those higher consciousness values that you're passionate from, you'll be in the best position to gain wealth anyways while at the same time hitting those sweet spots of inner fulfillment that chasing money alone won't get you. 

2 hours ago, Slade said:

What then if the impact you want to have doesn't make you money in return? Is the pursuit of wealth itself hallow? Personally I see as a tool to help with pursuing something that's fulfilling. 

Edited by littleBIG

3 hours ago, littleBIG said:

What then if the impact you want to have doesn't make you money in return? Is the pursuit of wealth itself hallow? Personally I see as a tool to help with pursuing something that's fulfilling. 

If you set it up right, you will be paid for having the impact that you want to have on the world. That money may not come right away, but it will eventually if you’re providing enough value. Find your greatest gift and give it to the world, they will think it’s valuable and will pay you in return. 

I do think the pursuit of wealth is hallow. Having a lot of money can be useful, however you only have so much time on this planet. Do you really want to spend years of your life working to get rich and then possibly die before you can do what you really want to do? 

You have to be strategic but I’d much rather start doing what I want to do today, enjoy every moment of it, and find a way to make money doing what I love. If you can make a lot of money as a side hustle while you’re working on your passion then do it of course, but don’t make that your main course of action. 

What do you really want? Happiness? A passionate life? The quickest path between two points is a straight line. Whatever makes you happy and excited, go do that. 

Money is God DAMNN good  , but there is bigger fish  to fry  ! Remember the journey is the destination!  

Think non dual  ...What are you saying is a duality  !  

12 hours ago, Slade said:

If you set it up right, you will be paid for having the impact that you want to have on the world. That money may not come right away, but it will eventually if you’re providing enough value. Find your greatest gift and give it to the world, they will think it’s valuable and will pay you in return. 

I do think the pursuit of wealth is hallow. Having a lot of money can be useful, however you only have so much time on this planet. Do you really want to spend years of your life working to get rich and then possibly die before you can do what you really want to do? 

You have to be strategic but I’d much rather start doing what I want to do today, enjoy every moment of it, and find a way to make money doing what I love. If you can make a lot of money as a side hustle while you’re working on your passion then do it of course, but don’t make that your main course of action. 

What do you really want? Happiness? A passionate life? The quickest path between two points is a straight line. Whatever makes you happy and excited, go do that. 

I hope I don't come off as hostile, I'm just genuinely curious about your point.

You seem to believe that living is free and you can just do whatever you want without money. The roof over your head costs money, food costs money. In fact, a lot of money. If you make minimum wage, you'll need a full time job to be able to afford living at all. Speaking about limited time on this planet, 40 hours a week (plus traffic) is A LOT of time to be wasted. If you go to college, that's another 4 years (of youthful time) wasted plus possible debt but you make more salary. If you have a job, it's the exact same as pursuing money.

As you said, if I pursue what I love I might not get paid at first. So then how am I going to stay alive at all? If you don't spend years to get rich, you'll end up spending even more time at a regular job. Or did you have an alternative? 

All hail king Julien!  

Watch the first few minutes of this episode. Money doesn't bring happiness when there's no value. But can become a value when culture accepts it.

Alan Watts tells in the first few minutes a great story about money.

Saying money doesn't bring happiness is like saying eating and drinking doesn't bring happiness. Sure maybe it doesn't directly bring happiness, but if you don't eat and drink you will literally DIE! You can't pursue your passion when you're DEAD!

48 minutes ago, littleBIG said:

I hope I don't come off as hostile, I'm just genuinely curious about your point.

You seem to believe that living is free and you can just do whatever you want without money. The roof over your head costs money, food costs money. In fact, a lot of money. If you make minimum wage, you'll need a full time job to be able to afford living at all. Speaking about limited time on this planet, 40 hours a week (plus traffic) is A LOT of time to be wasted. If you go to college, that's another 4 years (of youthful time) wasted plus possible debt but you make more salary. If you have a job, it's the exact same as pursuing money.

As you said, if I pursue what I love I might not get paid at first. So then how am I going to stay alive at all? If you don't spend years to get rich, you'll end up spending even more time at a regular job. Or did you have an alternative? 

I agree. If you want to reap the benefits of our society, you need money to support yourself. If you can leverage yourself to make good money then do it, but don’t expect to be fulfilled by getting rich. Sure, it will bring some level of satisfaction but at a certain point it stops.

I remember a study done to show the levels of happiness people have based on their income. The difference in happiness of those who made 50k a year and those who made 2k a year was very significant. However, the difference in happiness between 50k a year and a millionaire and above was minimal. 

There is nothing wrong with working 40hour weeks if you’re doing something you love. Hell if I love my work I’ll do 60hour weeks or more. The problem comes when you’re selling yourself to a full time job just for money, which may be necessary in order for you to get to the next point in your life but by no means am I saying that you should be okay with working a crummy job everyday for the rest of your life. 

Bottom line is that yes you need money, and yes it can bring a certain level of satisfaction and freedom. So by all means, if you feel like you need to get rich then go for it. However, beware of making that your end goal. Chances are, you can start doing what you love to do right now and eventually make money doing it.