mohdanas

What is your meaning and purpose Of Learning?

6 posts in this topic

Q. What do learning means to you?

- It is the most meaningful thing as it has the potential to transform world and people.

Q. What do you think is the purpose of learning? or should be?

- To make sense of the world including physical and metaphysical. 

We are born with no understanding of everything around us. So we naturally tend to seek and learn about our world and life. 

- Collecting knowledge to overcome my problems in life or reaching goals.

We face difficulty and challenges in life so we seek to find solutions that in turn help us grow bigger than the problems. 

- For Personal Growth

Sometimes, we might not even face a problem but yet we learn and embody new thing for our personal growth. 

Is there anything else you guys can think of? I am seriously considering dedicating my life to develop a new model of education which would be more practical to improve quality of life of people in different domain of life. 

For me my main motivation is that I find the process of learning very pleasureable. I have spent enormous amount of time reading books and essays on topics that have no utillity for me. I just suddnly get curious about something and feel driven to research it. Sometimes the drive last houres, other times months. 

In adition to this recreational research I also make sure to set of some time for more pragmatic research ob lifestyle/personality/spiritual growth, and on topics related to my career. 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

4 hours ago, Erlend K said:

For me my main motivation is that I find the process of learning very pleasureable. I have spent enormous amount of time reading books and essays on topics that have no utillity for me. I just suddnly get curious about something and feel driven to research it. Sometimes the drive last houres, other times months. 

In adition to this recreational research I also make sure to set of some time for more pragmatic research ob lifestyle/personality/spiritual growth, and on topics related to my career. 

Thank You, I guess there is where I started, just feeding my child like curiosity just for the purpose of finding the answers. 

Now, I understand that this is one of the strength that I have and would like to turn it into something meaningful. :)

Learning boosts my creativity, sometimes even in IT development

"I thought if you are a Buddhist you gonna be nice"

"Nope"

@mohdanas It is often the case that people (myself included) undergoing education (teenagers, adults etc) think that once they land their dream job of becoming a lawyer, or a doctor, or engineer or whatever that they will become happy. 

The truth is, achieving success is unlikely to make you happy in of in itself. Despite this, we have people from the time they are children constantly climbing up social/monetary hierarchies in the pursuit of success, being told that this is all they need to care about to have a fulfilling life.

I'm not  saying success isn't important, it's just that people delude themselves with what success will do for them. 

I have exams in like 10 days now, but would it not be for them, I generally learn for the sake of enjoying the process of learning. I thinks that's generally the direction people should go. They should focus on enjoying the process of learning/discovering. I personally like to read maths and figure out proofs in my spare time. 

People are often undergoing education with a mind that is not focused on the present moment. This is because education in our society is purely looked upon as something boring people need to go through for the sole purpose of landing of job. Getting a job is important, but enjoy the process of learning as it happens. Look at children in schools for example. They're bored out of their minds and develop a negative relationship with learning, and I'd argue that this is partially because schools are overly focused on educating children only for the sake of getting children to pass exams. 

Alan Watts gives a good analogy I like. When people are listening to music, they do not listen to music for the sake of "getting somewhere". If this were the case, music pieces which last 1 millisecond would be the most popular.  People listen to music because they enjoy the process of it as it happens. Likewise when it comes to life (and also learning in particular) , you get fulfillment from enjoying life as it happens in the present moment, you don't get fulfillment if you have your mind constantly distracted about the future. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.