Enquirer

Is No-self just another delusion?

43 posts in this topic

I'm quite serious in asking this question and it isn't just to be cheeky. I've listened to many people online who claim to be enlightened and to have achieved the goal of no-self. From an objective viewpoint it doesn't seem to have much of an effect on personality or behaviour, though I accept that their subjective perceptions may be vastly different. Then again people on drugs or with brain injury can have a vastly different perception of the world and themselves. Having practised hypnosis I am also aware that the mind is very powerful and able to create absolutely convincing illusions. So a person can be induced to, for example, be no-armed. Would their absolute conviction of no-arm be real? Is it a delusion? So likewise could a devoted seeker after enlightenment also simply enter a state of  self induced delusion of no self?

The question is important for several reasons. The current understanding of no-self as an absolute rather than a relative state of mind puts it on a ladder of goodness that puts it right near the top. So it automatically takes a sort of moral high ground. It also, by doing so, may exclude other states of mind that may in fact be of greater benefit to people and humanity.

If you’re completely present in the moment you won’t find a self in your direct experience. The only time the notion of a “self” exists is within thought. Thought is temporary, the “self” changes throughout your life, your self is not the same now as it was when you were a child. What you are is not temporary, and is not a story. 

Edited by DMM710

Yes. Sleepwalking, hypnotism, talking in sleep & answering questions.

No Ego is not necessarily a delusion, Nor is MAXIMUM EGO!!! MAXIMUS MAXIMUS MAXIMUS!!!!!

You are absolute in every moment and enlightened in every moment but not concious of it

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

Is No-self just another delusion?

Well, you can't really put it like that. 

Existence happens in two reality planes simultaneously, there is no link or bridge between them other then that consciousness intersect with both of them. 

One plane corresponds to God- Love, beauty, peace, no separate self, absence of time. 

The other plane corresponds to Power, logic, ego, time, competition, thoughs, manipulation(not referring to lies specifically, even the most nobel planning is manipulation to some degree) 

What ever "you" experience you have a blind spot. That't the constraint for life, you must be half blind at any given moment 

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

You only know your experience, for all you know we could just be smart robots.

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

Tell me what your self actually is, then go find it. Then youll see its just a mist, the more you put your hand through it the more it evades ”you”.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

What is the Self and how do you find it, and how do you know it is the Self when you find it? That's the question. I assume this is beyond the sense of self aka the ego.

@Highest You  dont find it its who you are who will find it another self?

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

"Self" is a concept. Both to say "there is a self" and "there is not a self" is not quite right.

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

The self is an illusion but a fact as well. To say oh it’s an illusion and think we are free of it in most cases remains an illusion. 

If we escape the fact “belief/fear” that it is an illusion, and we remain in illusion.

We have to deal with the fact. Not evade into idea. Thought/self will deceive itself every chance it gets. 

Edited by Faceless

@Enquirer A good indicator of realisation of No Self is..

If you ask yourself, Where am I? Who am I?

You are experientially nowhere to be found.

Its like living existence without a 'you'.

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H

Concepts = Sleep :P  

Just Stop and do it ;) 

I define spiritual progress as how more blissful are you in your everyday life, like sadhguru. i dont care what i realize or not, i only care about the intensity of my life.

2 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

I think that's common. "As long as it serves me".

I dont see anything wrong with that. that's life. life is meant to be enjoyed, i dont see any other reason to live.

Illusions, illuisons, illusions, they will get you in the end. 

29 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Illusions, illuisons, illusions, they will get you in the end. 

Everything you see, hear, smell, taste, touch, think and feel is an illusion. Negate it all. You can only truly know what you are, by knowing what your not. You can only be it, that's it, but you will not get out of the illusion. Trying to get out is madness.

Edited by Anna1

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

9 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Everything you see, hear, smell, taste, touch, think and feel is an illusion. Negate it all. You can only truly know what you are, by knowing what your not. You can only be it, that's it, but you will not get out of the illusion. Trying to get out is madness.

Do you see the contradiction and paving the way toward illusion in this??

We can go much deeper here. 

Edited by Faceless

11 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Making the dream real is illusion, seeing through illusion means getting out of illusion a.k.a waking up from the dream

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H