Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spinoza

Do you run?

17 posts in this topic

I really enjoy running, i used to run everyday for a period of more than 5 years

For me it's a sort of meditation, it give me a lot of focus and it calme down my mind,  i encourage everybody to try running at least 3 times a week, you will see how it's magical

I can't believe how i lost this very constructive and powerful habit, no matter how you progress you may fall and comback to bad habits, it's true that the challenge is never ending

now i'm struggling with it, i don't run since many years, it require me a lot of physic and mental effort than before, i'm trying to comback again and rebuild this habit

If you have any practical advice, i would really appreciate it

@Spinoza Finding a partner and signing up for marathon would be a the best practical advice.

It'll force you to run everyday, even the days you feel like giving up your partner will help reinforcing your commitment.

Also i highly suggest having a meditation habit in place, its easier to do and it makes you more aware of your mind when it starts making excuses to not go for a run or any productive activity in general.

Finally, you gotta keep in mind that you're there for the pleasure of the running itself.

Good luck buddy ^_^

No I don't but fuck I should. Thanks for reminding me. 

Biking is a good one too, one of my personal favorites compared to any types of cardio work because its enjoyable. Its good on the quads as well. But all types of cardio is good.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

Yeah I need to install running as a habit, we should use our magical legs for more than strolling for sure! 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

- I found running without music is better, because it blur your inner tempo (listenning to your body steps, rather than music).

- Chia seeds, quite awesome for energy.

Been running for 23 years straight.

I dont do any marathons although i could.

Jogging, soccer, tennis, sprints

If you are just starting out running again I would recommend (if you are in somewhat decent shape) short but efficient sessions. Sprint up a short hill then walk or lighty jog down to the bottom again. At first you will only manage a few upps and downs but you progress really fast (for most people) then after some time start mixing it up a bit. You can for example do a normal jogging with light tempo for 20, 30, 40 min, or jog a long distances 10, 20, 30 km or, sprint up a realy long hill a couple of times, or jog off-road etc. What is most important is to not begin with long exhausting session, it will only make it mentaly hard for you to keep at it and be unmotivating . Atleast in my experience and also witnessing other peoples progress. Efficient intervalls can be done in 15 minutes or even less! Start light, build your way up, persistence is key  :-) Oh and don’t forget good shoes and plenty of water

Good luck to you! ?

@MellowEd Yea the challenge is mental than physic, yesterday i tried 30 min it was so hard especially the latest minutes, i will start for only 15 min and continue if i can, most of the time it work, i used to plane 30 min jogging and finish doing 45min and 1 hour, it's all in the mind

@Soulbass I definitely think jogging without music is better, it make us more stronger mentally, music is an other illusion that can help too (it trick the mental)

When i'm on treadmill i put a random Leo episode and run lol  

@Spinoza Yes very true, it is a mental challange. But biting of more then you can chew often leads to injuries wich sucks..

Just running as sports 2h a day is a waste of time and a waste of joints. 

Better is to go in the forest and sprint 5-10min bursts and walk, climb, etc. 

8 minutes ago, Quanty said:

Just running as sports 2h a day is a waste of time and a waste of joints. 

Better is to go in the forest and sprint 5-10min bursts and walk, climb, etc. 

:D that's good, don't underestimate running, everybody has his own way,

4 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

:D that's good, don't underestimate running, everybody has his own way,

I speak from the perspective of whom is not awakened yet, hardcore sports can destroy one's health. I speak by experience, being a veteran runner/cyclist/rickshaw and powerlifter. After awakening, there is no problem. 

I’ve always sucked at running but recently began waking up at 6:00 and jogging every day for 30 mins. as a beginner my advice might not be valid but whatever, here it is.

• run on some hiking trails, 100x more challenging and fun for me.

•run at night, maybe go with a headlamp on and do a trail at night in nature. theres a giant soccerfield by my house, at night its pitch black but huge enough to run in without seeing anything, feels like youre floating through space

• sometimes when I run I will put music on and “channel” the music into my running and get a really crazy runners high. 

• run/ jog every day but make sure to keep changing shit up whenever you get even a little tired of it. get a friend to join you, sign up for a marathon, find a sick trail to challenge yourself on, run on the beach, as long as I dont stagnate I dont get bored, might not be the same for you though idk.

@Spinoza lol...I totally thought you meant internally...like from my inner-self....or in life...like from difficult challenges...that type of running, I'm a champion with gold medals, lol.... but physical running....only for a bus, closing door, or if someone or thing is chasing me...maybe briefly for joy in a field of flowers or something....but it's hard on the knees, you have to wear a sports bra.... this is why Kirkpatrick macmillian invented the bike! still my fav invention of all time....so far....