shapeshifter

Should I Quit Instagram?

12 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! I quit Facebook about 2 years ago and I feel really good that I quit it because I didn't liked it that much. Although I love Instagram and love to post my pictures on Instagram about my travel adventures and stuff. But lately I am feeling that it's becoming a hindrance in my studies. To be honest it is really posing as a distraction and really distracting me from my studies and I am an engineering student and very passionate about my career. And I have no other social media except Instagram and people in my college really make fun of me that I don't have social media but I don't care for their opinions to be honest. So what do you guys think should I quit Instagram or use it maybe once in a month?

You dont need to quit it overall. But when you are studying focus on studying, not on IG

Couple days ago I deleted my account because I was addicted.  The problem is with you not the instagram. 

You do not have to delete it - just block it for couple weeks so you can focus on what's important. Its about control. If after couple of weeks you will come back to your bad habits (and you probably will because they design the app that way) I think you should delete it. 

Cal Newport have some great thoughts about it. 

http://calnewport.com/blog/2017/10/02/are-you-using-social-media-or-being-used-by-it/

Look, let me tell you this about the addiction of certain social web pages. 

Usually many popular web pages even banks, in the code of the page, so to speak behind what you see in the first layer with the naked eye, you got in there subliminal messages and images to impress your senses. Don't believe me? Just download a webpage and see the code and the images ;) 

1 hour ago, Quanty said:

Usually many popular web pages even banks, in the code of the page, so to speak behind what you see in the first layer with the naked eye, you got in there subliminal messages and images to impress your senses. Don't believe me? Just download a webpage and see the code and the images ;) 

What do you mean by the code of the page? 

4 hours ago, Quanty said:

Wow, give me an example

@shapeshifter

This may not apply to you because you're in engineering, but I'd say anyone who cares about professional success in the modern age needs to be on IG.

It's not uncommon when I'm networking that people don't even ask for a business card anymore. They just ask for my IG. If you're an employee looking to get hired, you can guarantee that your employer is googling your social media before they decide to call you in for an interview or hire you.

It's such a fantastic opportunity.

Let's say you wanted to get hired by some engineering firm when you graduate. You have two options:

1) Go around submitting your boring resume, just like everyone else. Get lost in the noise.

2) Create an amazing IG page called I<3Engineering  with you doing 60 second videos talking about engineering or maybe building some shit. Post pictures of your accomplishments and your personal life, which humanizes you.

Option 2 is so much better. A resume only existed because we didn't yet live a world with social media. It's going to die fast.

And that's only for professional success. Don't even get me started on all the benefits it can have on your dating life. It's seriously changing the game and I love it.

Leaving the social network just because you are distracted by it while studying is stupid. Damn, just do not look at your phone when you're studying. If you can not restrain yourself, leaving the instagram will not help you focus on your studies, you'll just be distracted by something else. My advice. Establish yourself a service for instagram followers boost. You can include this service while you are studying and you will not have a reason to be distracted.

On 5/22/2018 at 0:04 AM, aurum said:

@shapeshifter

This may not apply to you because you're in engineering, but I'd say anyone who cares about professional success in the modern age needs to be on IG.

It's not uncommon when I'm networking that people don't even ask for a business card anymore. They just ask for my IG. If you're an employee looking to get hired, you can guarantee that your employer is googling your social media before they decide to call you in for an interview or hire you.

I don't think this applies for corporate either. Many of my friends in corporate have been applying for jobs without social media.

That's my exact situation. I quit facebook because too many dumb people were tagging me everywhere but instagram i ok. There's no status updates, no bullshit, you control what you want to follow and also hide stories etc. Just dont use it for about 1 week and see if you're addicted or not

@shapeshifter Why are you asking a bunch of strangers about something which you SHOULD think for yourself?

Social media is not bad, but can become a huge distraction. I see people that scroll through social media while eating their lunch. That’s a stupid way of using social media. It’s a WASTE of time. 

You can use it CONSCIOUSLY . 

Sit and think. 

26AEF6C7-7464-4C34-A5A9-C7AB11F0D194.png

As you can see you can use technology as an aid.

In my case I’m knee-deep in reading, learning and studying self-help. I use these apps to grow myself so to speak.

And in your case maybe IG can help you, maybe not. 

Edited by Donald
Extra pic

I sometimes remove the app from my phone when I know I have a particularly busy week ahead of me just so I won't waste time on it. Then I just re-download it when life slows back down a little. Maybe that's an option for you.

Edited by ChimpBrain