Stef

Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator

293 posts in this topic

I think it's important to get as close as possible to 50/50 of the first 4 rows (Mind, Energy, Nature, Tactics).
If I interpret this right, does the 5th row mean something like self esteem? If so, the more assertive, the better :)

I also think, there is no good or bad type.
It's like tuning in an old FM radio, where you have to move the slider forwards and backwards until there is a strong signal.
Everyone has his own goals he wants to accomplish.

27 minutes ago, TimStr said:

ENFP-A

I read, that Myers-Briggs Personality types can change over the course of a single month and the last time, I did the assessment, I turned out to be INTJ.

So since these personality types are not fundamentally cast in stone, how can this concept be used for personal growth? Just for observing, where I'm at? Or is there some sort of possibility to actively transform ones personality from one type to another? I highly doubt that. Human personality is way too complex to be categorized with just 16 different types.

I think there is a possibility to transform. But I don't think it will happen in such a short time like a month.

EDIT: I think it's useful for personal growth to have a snapshot of where you are.
Everyone has his/her goals and sometimes some of the currently stronger mindsets are preventing them to do what they want to do.

For example, I am very interested in technology and what the future will bring. So my INTJ-type is fine.
But then, I would like to be more feeling with people around me
My best friend's girlfriend called me "too neutral" some days ago when she asked my for advice :D
And I sometimes realize that I struggle with empathy.
And such a test can show me, yes I am not fantasizing, this is an issue I should tackle.
Maybe some months/years from now I will be an INFJ or something completely else.
As long as I am balanced I think I will be fine :)

Edited by Thomas Taschler

The 'personality type' game is part of the 'dream world' that one can move beyond as one approaches self-realization and beyond.

It has been said that there are no 'real' problems ... the "person" is the problem.   The word "person" is derived from "persona".

The persona was the mask worn by stage actors in early Greek theatre.   The personality is in essence the "mask" through which one 'acts' out a role in life.  It is not the 'real' you.  Self-mastery is concerned with understanding a lot of this acting "person" which is often a "re-acting" due to  conditioning. The road to self-realization and beyond is hindered unless one understands the difference between "person" and "being".

joy :)

12 minutes ago, TimStr said:

ENFP-A

I read, that Myers-Briggs Personality types can change over the course of a single month and the last time, I did the assessment, I turned out to be INTJ.

So since these personality types are not fundamentally cast in stone, how can this concept be used for personal growth? Just for observing, where I'm at? Or is there some sort of possibility to actively transform ones personality from one type to another? I highly doubt that. Human personality is way too complex to be categorized with just 16 different types.

Perhaps.  It takes lots of time and understanding.  And patience!  Patience!  Patience!

Pay attention to the % rankings and perhaps use affirmations after a brief study of the characterizations that are used as binary variables and realize the % is the fuzziness.  As in fuzzy logic (between 0 and 1).  We use affirmations for instance to build habits and to break them, along with determination.  So, why could we not alter our personalities?  Habits are part of personality and we can change them.

Maybe pick a few traits of a direction on that test score that you want to go and try doing something like the Chakral affirmations mentioned somewhere on the main blog site earlier today.  Or just start by repeating it to yourself like a mental exercise for starters.  Then contemplate on the thoughts you begin to have over the day or week.  Always remember that the old you is still known and in many cases assumed by others.  So, you may want to watch Leo's video on backsliding to help with understanding this natural resistance to change.

18 minutes ago, Elemental said:

Maybe pick a few traits of a direction on that test score that you want to go and try doing something like the Chakral affirmations mentioned somewhere on the main blog site earlier today.  Or just start by repeating it to yourself like a mental exercise for starters.  Then contemplate on the thoughts you begin to have over the day or week.  Always remember that the old you is still known and in many cases assumed by others.  So, you may want to watch Leo's video on backsliding to help with understanding this natural resistance to change.

Thanks for the suggestings.
To put it simply, this is following the good old "fake it till you make it" attitude, right? (Chakral affirmations and visualizations are tools, that I have yet to get into a bit more.)

But what I'm concerned with; is it even worth to pursure a change of personality, just for the sake of getting 4 other letters, the next time, I take the assessment? Because non of the personality types are inherently superior or inferior. Wouldn't it be wiser to shape my personality with my goals and purpose in mind an then use the test, to see where I'm at?

Alternatively, one could look for the mbti of some role model one wants to mimik and than try to shape one's persoality towards that indicator. But I think, that the other way is the more direct one.

4 hours ago, Neuroticon said:

You guys have probably heard about this since it exploded in popularity recently.

It's a fun little test that helps you determine your strong personality traits and major weaknesses.

http://www.16personalities.com/

Short introduction

What's your result? I've consistently gotten INTP over the years.

MyersBriggsTypes.png

INTJ

Kind of perhaps.  Brute force in other words.  Like trying to break a password, eventually it will crack.  May take longer than it's worth to see it with today's great encryption algorithms and all.

Guess that's up to you about being worth it.  You have to identify the parts that hold you back from where you want to go and work to change them.  I agree on the test usage.  It's a tool for characterization.  It could prove to be quite powerful for gaining goals.  Though I think gaining purpose is the reverse process.  If you break your flow by manipulating yourself you only hurt yourself but a certain amount of pain is part of some people's lives.  You could make a link between the test and the things that you think are passionate to you and try to make the ride more smooth.  A way to embrace what you want and fully enjoy it for yourself!  When no else sees. 

And people choose and make their own path all the time and use fair amounts of force and personal change to be the best at those things, no doubt.  It keeps the heart doctors in business!

I always get INTJ.

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

Also an INTP. Had a sneaking suspicion Leo was one too! :P

I always kind of wondered why it never seemed to come up in any of the videos, as I found reading about my type to be quite eye-opening and almost reminded me of things that I enjoy, which I had never really given much thought to.

I suppose the danger with it is that you can end up pigeon-holing yourself, which runs kind of counter-productively to many personal development principles, for example believing you are the highly introverted and not making any attempt to be more social or outgoing.

22 hours ago, Amund said:

INFJ. I agree with denselayman that one shouldn't identify too much with a particular personality type. When I first learned about the MB types and my own type a couple of years ago I was so relieved to understand my self better. (....)

Same here Amund! It was like turning on the lights in a dark room! Anyway, and even though I feel MBTI is useful to know us - and in the INFJ case, we are so paradoxal it can be life changing - and it helped me understand better how one situation can be perceived and dealt with in a countless amount of ways. What I found out as that "ok, I now know where I stand, how do I grow from here?" Because, truth to be told: INFJ are fantastic beings in certain situations, but we also can be quite dorky too... So the key, I think, is really see what is in front of us (living in the moment, I feel it's quite difficult for me to do that) and sometimes do what is counter intuitive - being the INFJ way the intuitive one. 

On 7 February 2016 at 5:43 PM, TimStr said:

ENFP-A

Indeed, it varies depending on the mood of the day. I'm generally ENTJ-A or ENTP-A

and since I'm working on feeling and checking-in what my body says, I was this morning: INTP-T

Edited by YM