WildeChilde

Does Jed McKenna Hate Enlightenment?

3 posts in this topic

I finished reading Jed McKenna's Theory of Everything: The Enlightened Perspective, and while I enjoyed his humor and learned a great deal from his metaphysics, I felt there was an undercurrent of sadness throughout.  I haven't yet read his earlier books on awakening, but in this one he writes as though he's a victim of enlightenment.  He apparently wasn't seeking it and wishes it never happened to him.  Am I reading him correctly?  It seems to me he might have a case of something called depersonalization-derealization disorder.  Anyways, thanks guys!

"You will soon be going about like the converted, and the revivalist, warning people against all the sins of which you have grown tired."- Oscar Wilde

@WildeChilde

McKenna is a bit of an enigma. On the one hand, he seems like a very caring man who has had some deep existential insights and is passionate about his work. On the other hand, he seems likes a grumpy old man that wants to sit on his porch and yell at the kids for playing on his lawn.

Is it marketing? It is a genius enlightened master's trick? Is he so far beyond us that we can't even understand him?

I don't know and I don't really care to know. Speculation beyond a limit is pointless. What really matters is your own journey and how you choose to live your life.

@WildeChilde All you can do is read the books, and take what is useful to you. Don't take him as an authority (in fact he addresses this). Learn to deal with his contradictions (on fact he addresses this). Ultimately McKenna paints an incomplete, unsatisfactory, contradictory and confusing picture. The future I go, the more I think that is the point

Edited by Telepresent