lukej

Life purpose of music and integrating with spirituality

6 posts in this topic

I feel that my life purpose is something to do with music. I want to be a musician. I am currently studying sound design at college and making music on the side. So, it is going to be my career when I graduate. I could get stuck writing pieces for commercials (I would like to avoid that).  

I have had trouble understanding how music could fit in with a spiritual life. I would like to become a Sage (meaning I am bought into the vision of current incarnation of Actualized.org). In Leo's video about becoming a Sage, he really inspired me to use my life purpose as a way to raise people's consciousness. 

So, my questions are as follows. 

• Are there any known Sages that played music?
  • What is conscious music?
  • Should the music inspire consciousness in people or should it be made consciously?
  • How can music be helpful to humanity in a practical sense?
  • Do you know of any music that you feel raises consciousness?
  • What potential traps await for me in the pursuit? 
  • Are there any bios of musicians I should read? 

I realize that this will set me outside of main music industry. So, I might need to have other things going on just to sustain myself.  

If you have any ideas please share. If you any books I should read or videos to watch please leave a link. 

I would like to develop a deeper understanding of where music comes from and how it fits into our humanity. Also, I have been looking at Shamanic music. I find it interesting that it is used for meditative or healing purposes. Maybe there is a way I can create something like that with the instruments I am skilled at. 

I know there is a lot of "Spiritual Music" on youtube but I don't know if that is exactly what I would want to do. I am currently thinking that a way I could raise consciousness through music is by infusing the lyrics with high consciousness ideas. I think of it as planting seeds in people's minds. The music underneath will be there to enhance the message.

My worry would be I would run out of ideas for lyrics. 

Anyway...... 

Thank you for your time I look forward to reading your responses. 

Edited by lukej

I think any music you make from that “space” could be considered conscious music. When spiritual teachers like Eckhart Tolle talk from that space, their words are almost meditative. If you’re enlightened and making music, it’s God making the music, how could that not be conscious music? 

I think music that brings people’s focus to this moment would be better than really emotional music that takes them away into a story. But you could also make music about a story to I guess it just depends on the place it’s coming from. 

Music is helpful to humanity in that it’s artwork, it can be beautiful. 

Calm music and music you hear in a spa might be a good example of what more conscious music sounds like. The music you make will change as you become more conscious and move through the stages of spiral dynamics. Just how Leo’s videos have changed. 

Hope this helps. 

@Slade there is a big overlap between your and mine live purpose and future goals. I also want to become a "musical sage", i want to master many instruments, songwriting, composition, sound design, improvisation and singing. I have the same (unanwered) question as you, hopefully we will discover the answers soon :) I think as long as you pursue your authentic self your music will reflect that, my music should directly reflect my journey and maybe inspire other people to go inward aswell. 

Books i rec: 

Kenny Werner - Effortless Mastery (master improvisation by spirituality), 

Jamie James - The Music of the Spheres; Music, Science, and the Natural Order of the Universe (big picture understanding of music - history - science) mindblowing stuff!

David Tame - The Secret Power of Music / i did not finished that one yet, it's about spirituality, culture and the tranformative power of music

Thank you for the replies. I think I have a better sense of things now. 

Maybe I was confused but relooking at Leo's video on art and your comments put things back into alignment. 

I feel encouraged to proceed. 

Thank you

@lukej Hey man, I myself am an aspiring musician/sage and I have a lot of the same questions as you... But you're questions are a lot better:D

Imma try to answer all your questions to the best of my infinite intelligence.

On 5/15/2018 at 0:51 PM, lukej said:

Are there any known Sages that played music?

Not that I know of. And that's a good thing. The real masters probably need a good amount of research to be found. They would never be in the mainstream or anywhere near a McDonalds. "When the student is ready, the teacher appears"

What is conscious music?

I think it's music that brings you into the present moment. ALL music is in the present but not all makes YOU presnetly question your reality or create feelings of bliss, excitement, joy, and love. But you must have those feelings inside of you to begin with. Music is the expression of who you are. The best musicians know who they are, accept themselves, and try to be a vessel to the muse inside of them. Have you ever wondered how new music is always created? When you think you've heard everything out comes another song to blow your mind. If you want to make conscious music quick, I recommend pyscadelics or a meditation retreat to really get you into BEING.

• How can music be helpful to humanity in a practical sense?

Well instead of listening to trap music that tends to idealize drug use, material gain, and sex, which isn't wrong. You can write music about the truth you feel, personally. Strong opinions attract attention. In a sense you don't want your music to make people feel good while their listnening and right after the song is over they crave more. Music should inspire, it should recharge one's energy for life isntead of robbing creativity.

Do you know of any music that you feel raises consciousness?

Yes. Yes I do. Albums: PINK FLOYD - Dark side of the moon. JOHN LENNON - Plastic Ono Band. 

Songs: PASSENGER - 27, Scare away the dark

What potential traps await for me in the pursuit? 

Well you gotta check your ego. When you start becoming successfull at making consc. music and realizing how much more you could do you might be persuaded to tend to another audience. Mainstream pop stuff. Why? Money, fame, sex, drugs, rock and rolll etc. YOU, the ego, will go nuts for that stuff. So you just have to ground yourself in your values, regularly meditate and chill.

Are there any bios of musicians I should read?

I have read Jim Morrison of The Doors Biography and it really inspired me. Although he was heavily addicted to drugs his whole life and ended up killing himself I still think it was very motivational for me to grab life by the throat live more. That's all i got.
----------
The best part of being a musician is that you are free to do WHATEVER you want with your art. You are god, be a revolutionary, make something s new and mindbending people sob orgasmically when they listen to your stuff. Music is so much more than Top 50 Hits. That's like %0.1. Just dive into it.

My worry would be I would run out of ideas for lyrics. 

HAHAHAHHAHA. First of all. It's not even you whos creating music. Ask yourself where thoughts come from. YOU are an instrument for god/infinite creativity/love. AND THEN you play another instrument to express it. Mastery of an instrument is mastery of expressing god:oThere is nothing to worry about. I think writers block is being stuck in the same "awareness level" for too long. DO SHROOMS, MEDITATE, READ and you'll never run out of music. ;)

Good luck. 

Love Adam.