Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dharm4

If you only listen to one thing this year, listen to this

9 posts in this topic

Sam Harris just posted this on his twitter account. It's a podcast from "After on" with Don Hoffman( university of california quantative psychologist).

He describes perception, reality in the most clear, rational way possible. If you don't get all of it, dont worry. You eventually will!

https://after-on.com/episodes/026

Edited by dharm4

Love Hoffman's take on reality. Brief summary:

We have evolved to see reality in such a way that we survive, not in such a way to see truth. (As we all know, if we saw reality as it really is, it would kill us / Mu).

We have representations for external objects that are not what they intrinsically look like, but instead the way we've evolved to perceive them in order to survive. Just like a recycle bin on your desktop isn't really a trash can, a car doesn't really look like how we perceive it to (really it's pure Nothingness I mean Mu). Yet still, if you get run over by a car or drag an important file to the recycle bin... you're gonna have a bad time (but not really).

Reality is made up solely of "conscious agents". The way they interact determines our shared perceptions of reality, and indeed all of our physical laws.

Theory is still a work in progress but I think there's a lot of truth to it.

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

8 minutes ago, InfinitePotential said:

Theory is still a work in progress but I think there's a lot of truth to it.

Only we don’t need theory to see this truth do we... ? 

When that reality/consciousness-thought/self ends, truth is.

Edited by Faceless

@InfinitePotentialIt seems to me the most non-esoteric, non-magical, but rational way of explaining the truth of what is. I hope more intellectual people will see the truth in it.

10 minutes ago, dharm4 said:

I hope more intellectual people will see the truth in it.

The intellectual is unable to suspend its own conditioned content/movement. The intellectual is limited by that very intellect. 

The knower/conditioned mind must end 

Without the ending of time the intellect is incapable of being rational. 

Edited by Faceless

@Faceless Dude, I wish there were me more people like you in my environment ;) Yes I agree, the perciever must come to an end, but it makes me optimistic about the community of scientists and rationalists. I'm still partially in that world.  I love science, and listen to many of the ideas!

4 minutes ago, dharm4 said:

but it makes me optimistic about the community of scientists and rationalists.

Yeah I agree. It’s important. :)

Ideas do have there place?

Edited by Faceless

Thank you, @dharm4 for sharing this. I listened and benefited from it.

The most eye-opening take away for me, is how the Left Brain dominates speech communication while Right Brain can't express its wisdom in language or words. That makes a lot of sense now why most sages recommend silence as the best means to Enlightenment, because once the Left Brain can finally shut up, the Right Brain can take over. That makes me feel like we have all the answer all along, but the hypnosis of the linear logical linguistic system actually imprison us in confusion or Maya.

I'm digging through his other Podcasts now, what a fascinating scientist he is, Dr. Don Hoffman. 

the audio isnt working and the download says "network error"

edit: its ok

Edited by Viking
nevermind