Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZZZZ

Lack of desire to be social with greater levels of mindfulness

7 posts in this topic

(tl;dr at the end)

Hey guys, I have been a long time lurker and watcher of Leo's videos for about a year now. I figured I would finally make an account and ask a question about a reoccuring theme I've noticed every time I start to make mindfulness a priority in my life. Leo's video on lonliness kind of comes to mind as I'm thinking about this, and I will probably rewatch it soon. I'm just curious if anyone else has shared an experience like this, and what exactly it could be attributed to.

I don't have a ton of really good friends, and I generally have to put in some sort of effort (even minimally) to find myself in social settings, especially with larger groups. I guess that's pretty standard, but I find myself wanting to put in that effort less and less every day, which is also a vicious cycle in terms of what social opportunities are available to me. I've always been capable of being alone, and I generally enjoy my own company just fine.  That being said, I haven't necessarily felt "lonely" in a while like I used to in the past. The more I meditate, self inquire, and practice mindfulness, the more I no longer feel the urge to "put myself out there" and wedge my way into social situations. This has deteriorated what would be stronger relationships with those involved in these social situations, however, I just don't feel like I "click" with almost anyone anymore like I used to in the past. I'm not interested in the same filler activities and conversations, and I'm just as content sitting in my room doing those things alone if I really want to.

At first I feel a bit of FOMO whenever I'm making this transition back into mindfulness work, but whenever I really delve deeper into my development, the more I feel like it just doesn't matter to try and maintain these superficial connections with people anymore. I guess I've become somewhat of a recluse, and I still question whether this is something I should be focusing on or worrying about. I've cycled in and out of making this work a priority in my life, and this response has only become stronger, with the lonliness being less and less of a factor each time (which would typically pull me back into my old ways). 

Has anyone experienced something similar? I guess I'm just looking for a way to make sense of all this, because it has been a pretty stark shift in my outlook which I feel is generally frowned upon.

(tl;dr: As I meditate and become more mindful, I find myself wanting to involve myself in social situations less. I no longer feel lonliness or FOMO like I used to when I have experienced this inthe past. What are your thoughts/experiences with this?) 

Edited by ZZZZ

@ZZZZ I am in a very similar situation. I am basically a social recluse, but I am not bothered by this.

I find that once you are able to tap into really deep states of consciousness, you don't really need friends. The whole universe becomes your friend at that point ;)

Edited by onacloudynight

@onacloudynight Hmm, good to hear I'm not alone. I remember having very enjoyable experiences with other people in the past, but I also find it more difficult to stay highly conscious when I'm around other people (which then begins to interefere with the consciousness work). I guess there are just more distractions and tricky trains of thought to wade through. My ultimate goal would be to have any sort of interaction and remain on the same level of consciousness, but it just seems like I might be spending a lot of time alone for a while.

Edited by ZZZZ

@ZZZZ This is increased awareness  / raised consciousness. Your mind / thinking will catch up soon and you’ll be just as social as you were, with a much broader and deeper view of what’s transpiring. Integration / expansion. ?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

19 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@ZZZZ This is increased awareness  / raised consciousness. Your mind / thinking will catch up soon and you’ll be just as social as you were, with a much broader and deeper view of what’s transpiring. Integration / expansion. ?

Could you elaborate on my mind/thinking catching up?

I was thinking this might be the case though, thank you. :)

@ZZZZ If all illusion were instantly stripped away and you were the present Truth...upon recreating the universe and being what Is, your brain would literally rewire it’s self to accommodate the perspective, it would have to. “Your” consciousness would permanently be off the charts. What I believe is happening with you is like that, just not all at once. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I feel you, man. I used to have many friends before and making one is not a problem. I blend into the crowd and fit in easily, that is, everyone perceives me as apart of the group and treat me like a family. We share a lot of commonalities and interest. But as soon I got into straightening myself up and do consciousness work my friends started to lessen. I no longer feel the need to have one. Nothing seems to come as well. There are, but they would play a role in my life. It feels lonely, indeed. It's not too bad. I spend most of my time on consciousness work and every day my life is starting to make sense.