Joseph Maynor

How do we take the Forum to the next level? Any ideas

47 posts in this topic

It would be cool if there was a section dedicated to different practices in Action and not theoretical concepts. I'd love to see people talking about their routine throughout the day, reviewing how different approaches worked for them and what strenghts and weaknesses they experienced in an approach over the course of let's say 6 months to a year. Arguing and discussion would not be allowed and especially not if the person didn't have a direct experience of what they are talking about.

I have to say this is the best forum I’ve seen, I very rarely see arguments and the fun-level is very high, you restore my faith in humanity boys and girls:x

But we can always improve:P

Dont look at me! Look inside!

How do we take the Forum to the next level? Any ideas

I just came up with an incredible idea!
Forum should sit still for 30 days.
If anybody says anything, somebody else should silence him.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

Bring back rep points, used to have much more mind-fucking content before imo 

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

11 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Bring back rep points, used to have much more mind-fucking content before imo 

Lol, agree! 

It could be a time limit to rep points. Like 7 days expire date. 

Then we have a dynamic setting. Before Leo had tons of points and newbies almost no points. 

With 7days expire of rep points, we will have a fair and interesting race where anyone can aim for a brief lead in terms of points, would be interesting. 

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

Video cam to cam for everyone :D HAHAHAHAA! Right!!!????   We can stay up all night like that.. so we see each other.. we see what your day looks like.. what are you doing.. to see everything haha.. to see if you are tripping right now, anything haha

2 minutes ago, moon777light said:

@Dodo what are rep points?

Reputation points - Used to be able to show appreciation for someone's post by clicking the rep button (similar to likes on facebook) 

Taken off because it was deemed as ego gratification and/or groupthink.

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

I still remember the good old days. After Leo , I had highest number of reputation points. Now, nobody even notices my posts. >:(

4 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

I still remember the good old days. After Leo , I had highest number of reputation points. Now, nobody even notices my posts. >:(

I remember! It took a while for you to get 1000 points, but once there you move on quickly to 2k, and 3k points. Only shy of Leo's points. :) 

But I notice your post these days anyway, I always feel at ease when reading your post. Wise, sharp and funny. 

But your not perfect, you were highly attached to those rep points, how egotistical. ;) 

That's how we like it. No sun without dark spots.  

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

Btw, Isn't it a sign of ego to REMOVE reputation points? 

After all, if you remove them, thats a sign that we are attached to them. 

But if we are free of ego, we might handle it like a funny(and silly) thing that add some happiness and a feeling that the forum is "alive" 

As @Prabhaker once put it: Osho collected Rolles Royces, I collect rep points, it shouldn't be much of a deal. 

I agree. :) 

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

i think its better there's no rep points..definitely can lead to egoic tendencies. Heck, i think they should even take off the number of views on each topic too :D 

5 minutes ago, moon777light said:

i think its better there's no rep points..definitely can lead to egoic tendencies. Heck, i think they should even take off the number of views on each topic too :D 

Let's take the body away if we don't want egoic tendencies!

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

2 hours ago, moon777light said:

@Aimblack this is what the journal section is for :)

It's so full of mental masturbation it's nauseating. I mean look at Joseph's journal. From the history of the pyramids, how salt is made, such a interesting process, best albums of the last 15 centuries, Abstract ideas about more abstract ideas and even more abstract ideas from this or that perspective ! With abstract quotes !

I mean if people would realize everything you have no direct experience of IS a conceptualization and it's a intellectual defense the whole forum would crumble :P

Abstraction is killing us.

The only thing I will say about rep points is that it helps if someone likes and agrees with a post, they can just hit "like" instead of having to come up with something to say which may further derail a thread. 

I also think there should be more sub-forums, like a chat lounge for goofing off instead of spamming the more serious forums like enlightenment and self actualization ones. Also, I think self improvement should be in it's own sub-forum, because that is a subject that interests a lot of people, and most of those type of threads get lost in the rest of the SA forum. 

Edited by starsofclay

The rep point system has its advantages and disadvantages - it's not black and white, it's non-dual :D

Alot of its positive and negative sides you have already mentioned. A big problem with it is that alot of people - including me - looked at reputation points as a way to see who is a credible source and trying to get more of it. Both of these are very limiting.

I would suggest reforming the system. I have talked about one option in the thread about deleting rep points and I still think it's a good system:

I have a suggestion to resolve the "but rep points don't show quality" issue: find the common reasons people upvote certain posts/topics (because they agree, think it's insightful or funny...) and have separate buttons for these. With this, you can enforce the values of this forum because anything that can't be rewarded with these buttons and therefore won't get much attention. But with this, joke and non-insightful threads (Enlightenment Jokes, Enlightenment One-Liners, Share With Us Your Art, etc.) will die and the forum will get hyper-serious. [comment: we could add a "funny" and "beautiful" buttons to solve this] So even this option has its pros and cons and self-defeating from a certain perspective. #MuchNonDual.

I suggest adding agree, insightful, funny and beautiful buttons. You can suggest other ones too.

With this system, you could add the 1-4 reaction(s) a person gets below their profile picture but this could also cause people to assume things about other forum members.

I also support adding more subforums and creating chat rooms (maybe with audio as well). The latter will make people less likely to use other platforms to talk which is a huge interest of moderators and Leo.

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.