eskwire

Is Shamanic Breathing Safe? ---Research Results Enclosed

16 posts in this topic

Alright, guys, here is the research I promised @Source_Mystic on the safety of Holotropic Breathwork/Shamanic Breathing.

It's a video because I figured the massive wall of text would be waaaaay unpalatable.

It's long and I am talking somewhat slowly at times, so feel free to speed it up!

///see (some) resources attached\\\

cerebral blood flow before and after hv.pdf

Holotropic Breathwork paper.pdf

hyperventilation and cbf.pdf

hypocapnia and diseases of civilization.pdf

Voluntary Hyperventilation in Panic Disorder Treatment.pdf

Edited by eskwire

nothing is anything

@eskwire Cant thank you enough for this! Beautifully presented and narrated. Can see a lot of hard work has gone into this and it's massively appreciated by myself hun ♥️

This is great! Thanks for putting in all the time and effort to create it! So I am an athlete and really would like to avoid the potential slowing of reaction time effect. Do you think there is a way i can incorporate shamanic breathing and still get the positive effects from it WITHOUT the negative effect on reaction time? Like possibly shorter duration sessions(10-20 mins) as well as less frequently(every 2 weeks or month)?

Edited by BestSelf

@d0ornokey @Charlotte @Shroomdoctor Thank you for the sweetness and support! ?

I forgot to talk about oxygen off-loading to tissue, which helps clarify the whole, "Wtf is with the oxygen saturation?" issue. I will update the video and reload it tonight for future watchers. 

nothing is anything

50 minutes ago, BestSelf said:

This is great! Thanks for putting in all the time and effort to create it! So I am an athlete and really would like to avoid the potential slowing of reaction time effect. Do you think there is a way i can incorporate shamanic breathing and still get the positive effects from it WITHOUT the negative effect on reaction time? Like possibly shorter duration sessions(10-20 mins) as well as less frequently(every 2 weeks or month)?

Great question! That was a very important finding - what was most useful to know.

I cannot say with any certainty how many minutes doing shamanic breathing would equate to fewer days/less time spent with delayed reaction time and psychomotor dysfunction.

My personal solution will be to do this infrequently and not do it if I have to drive the next 2 or 3 days. 

nothing is anything

Just updated to include information on gas exchange, off loading of oxygen into tissues. 

nothing is anything

This was incredible! Thank you for putting so much time into this!:)

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Is it possible to give a short synopsis? Is it safe or not?

9 hours ago, Yonkon said:

Is it possible to give a short synopsis? Is it safe or not?

Lazy.

nothing is anything

@eskwire This is unspeakable true. I am too lazy to watch a 50 minute Video on an important topic. But is it safe or not?

2 hours ago, Yonkon said:

@eskwire This is unspeakable true. I am too lazy to watch a 50 minute Video on an important topic. But is it safe or not?

Is it safe to drive a car? It depends, right? It's rather hard to say. 

The point of the video: I cannot quantify shamanic breathing's risk level re: long-term brain damage, despite trying. The research done on hyperventilation is mixed with other factors, such as prior brain injury and anesthesia. That means it's your call - a call you might want to make with some more information on the topic. 

It does cause delayed reaction time and psychomotor dysfunction, so if you choose to take on the unknown level of risk, I would at least wait a couple days to drive a car. 

Edited by eskwire

nothing is anything