Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Preety_India

What's the difference between Hope and Faith?

8 posts in this topic

It's unusual sort of a question but needed to look deeper into it. Those words appear synonymous to me in some ways. Is faith same as trust? And how is hope different than having faith in something. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I understand hope as expectaction or desire for particular thing to happen in future.

Faith - blindly trust in something or a strong belief without self-reflection. Sounds kind of negative, but this is my understanding.

However it's only words, I would rather suggest to contemplate a lot inwardly what it means for you and all inner associations. I am not sure if other people definitions would help you. 

You are addicted to alcohol? Yhym... Try quitting coffee.

1 hour ago, Amilaer--- said:

I understand hope as expectaction or desire for particular thing to happen in future.

Faith - blindly trust in something or a strong belief without self-reflection. Sounds kind of negative, but this is my understanding.

However it's only words, I would rather suggest to contemplate a lot inwardly what it means for you and all inner associations. I am not sure if other people definitions would help you. 

That's about the long and short of it, I think.

The best example I can think to describe it is that Hope implies joyful expectations. 

Ex. "I hope I make it out of this hardship"

While Faith, as Amilaer said, is just purely believing in it.

Ex. "I have faith that I will make it out of this hardship"

Do you hear the difference when you say it? The second one sounds more sure of their ability to make it through, while the first is really wanting it, but doesn't sound sure it will actually happen, if that makes sense.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, being convinced of what we do not see.

haha~ my value-judgement of the words are opposite of zoey's… but in neither case do I advocate the implications of the subtleties of doing.

Practically the only time people conceive of these words is when they know they don't have something they need.

Hope seems to express a slightly more selfish (helpless) connotation~ not that it matters, because faith can and will be abused by the usual suspects before they stoop to relying on sheer hope to feel like they are doing something to get whatever they consider themselves lacking.

If I seem cynical— don't fall for it. It's just that if one really knows what one needs, what one really needs (in terms of factual lack), then one knows what one is waiting for and one waits for it as simple as that. What is the point of hope or faith in terms of Reality?

True faith already knows that what is, isn't always necessarily apparent— that's the power of faith; it already knows. In this context, personalistic hope is an embarrassingly selfish act. If any action is required in terms of spiritual adaption to situational potential, then one needs to wait for the proper conditions conducive to meeting situational change~ it does not involve deliberation. Helping the Way can only be regarded as arbitrary, karmically bound and binding. Rectitude, in terms of correct action is not attributable to the psychological momentum of the times. The Tao te Ching states "the master carpenter does no cutting."

I suppose the above is most akin to Preety's sense of the word, trust:

Is faith same as trust?

But what is being trusted? Enlightening being's activity is attributable to nothing whatsoever, therefore trust must not be a reflection of the self that thinks right or wrong, good or bad. What is it then? Potential alone is to be trusted, which is the very epicenter of inconceivability in terms of the world and one's ever-clarifying enlightening efflorescence.

Otherwise, evolution is not only dependent on conditions, they are one in the same. All created cycles are the same in this regard. One refines the self by virtue of simply awaiting the proper conditions with single-minded intent and acting according to the time.

As is common, the usual suspects are emotionally attached to their hope or faith or whatever the politically correct term du jour is, if not even more attached to arbitrary outcomes (a certain election result comes to mind) and consequently (when caught in extremity), have already lost their innocence; the direct connection to an innate open intent consisting of non-resistance, which is one's selfless direct connection to will. So these people then have no recourse but to rely on the power of irrational rationalism (mere words or thoughts consisting of habit-energy), prayers, in the grossest sense, if you will— because of the "selfish" aspect— which only really amounts to a bit of short-sightedness, which in all truth can be remedied by a modicum of sheer objectivity.

But people don't want to go there~ they'd muuuch rather cling to activist emotionalism,  hide their virgin ideals in another round of bumper-sticker rhetorics and "talking-points" and, in a word, blindly recite their prayers.

This is a polemic existence utterly void of the basis of non-psychological unity.

In terms of craving enlightenment, as some are wont to do in the quest for spiritual materialism, it would seem obvious that such emotional or even intellectual attachment to an inconceivability is an anathema to the conscious basis of which enlightening potential is the pervasive element. —Ain't ever gonna happen in terms of the person.

Yet who else has ever relied on such a thing as hope? Enlightening being has no use for hope or faith; it just responds.

I'm guessing that Preety_India's OP is simply focused on the semantic connotation of these terms, but I thought it would be advantageous to address an aspect of the underlying issue(s) which commonly prompt one's attention to consider the power of the word in the first place.

ed note: add first line; typo, 4th; add Preety_India's quote; add penultimate paragraph

Edited by deci belle

Nana i ke kumu  Ka imi loa

hope is when you for example look at the rainbow and the rainbow looks back at you etc 

but faith is when you look at the rainbow and the rainbow looks at you and blinks

Edited by Raymondo

Hope is like wishing but faith is believing and belief is all thats needed to change the world.

B R E A T H E

22 hours ago, Preety_India said:

how is hope different than having faith in something.

Faith means hoping for that which seems almost impossible. Faith means hoping against all hope. 

22 hours ago, Preety_India said:

Is faith same as trust?

Faith is that which is given; trust is that which is found. Faith is given by your parents; trust has to be found by you. Faith is given by the society; trust you have to search and seek and inquire Trust is personal, intimate.

I like to look at it like follows: Hope is when you wishing for a specific outcome. Like, "I hope I win the lottery tomorrow." Faith is when you trust that you fundamentally will be okay regardless of what happens. Like, you have faith in the unfolding of life.