Marinus

Caffeïne and anxiety

7 posts in this topic

So I drank a lot of coffee sinds summer and since I stopped drinking my anxiety, depression and paranoia have all been reduced since I stopped drinking. Before I drank it I was relaxed, but when I was under it's spell. My consciousness was more limited then and I wasn't aware about my original awareness. So I wonder if there are people with similar experiences.

Caffeine 100% has an affect on anxiety. Usually you dont notice this in everyday life because it is so mild. I suffered from a panic attack once and the days after I was hyper sensitive to everything and anxious. I swear to god I just drank a cup of green tea (which has such a low caffeine content that people usually feel nothing at all) and I felt my anxiety coming back immediately and was on the edge to another panic attack. It took a while and now Im able to drink coffee normaly again but man I was afraid to drink even a red bull for weeks after that.

Its also really bad for meditation in my opinion, because for me it doesnt give me a clean focused stimulation (which would be a good thing for mediation) but a very "shaky" one. On days where I drank too much coffee my meditation sessions are usually shallow and hard to get through.

Edited by MM1988

Coffee is a tool like a double edge sword. It can be used to fuel the ego/mind for the most people or it can help you awaken by grounding you. 

@Marinus yeah coffee does a have a negative impact on anxiety, but I find it extremely helpful for focusing when studying. My concentration and reading speed improve on caffeine. On the downside though I can feel very jittery with racing thoughts

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

I noticed the same after reading books about social anxiety and caffeine seems to increase anxiety levels as it triggers the fight flight response. I notice my body being a lot more calm without it!!