Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SaltyMeatballs

[Long Term Goals] How to accomplish them?

8 posts in this topic

INSPIRATION > MOTIVATION TO TAKE ACTION > TAKING ACTION > MAKING PROGRESS > GIVE UP > REPEAT

The above sums up the game I've played for as long as I can remember. 

This reminds me of the principle of "negative vs positive motivation" that Leo mentions in the LPC... I usually start projects to improve my life situation. Once I see a little bit of progress, I sabotage myself and give up entirely.

I'm very good at starting but terrible at finishing.

Who else here can relate to this? Are you the kind of person who mentally masturbates over self-help materials but never takes action? If you do take action, do you eventually give up even though you have made good progress? 

Contemplate why do you sabotage yourself.

Is it because you think you dont deserve it? Because other people will hate you for it? That you will lose it? That something really bad will happen if you achieve it? Na na na na...

haven't give up yet

i think it helps to have a strong why and self-discipline or grit and create habits so productivity becomes automatic and then only focus on one thing at a time likely with a deadline and in a form of a project 

or plan then action. 

https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2018/04/17/commit-long-term-goals/

scott h young have some good information on this in my opinion 

Edited by BjarkeT

That’s the fundamental question of personal development: I got a handful of nice goals but I can’t bring myself to do them.  That’s what you’re here to learn.  The answer is not simple.  The answer is you gotta understand the system you are trying to change before you can sustainably change it.  And the system doesn’t work like we think it does.  The system is a very odd animal indeed.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

A long term goal is usually a vision, right?

I'll tell you this: You don't know how to accomplish it, and you shouldn't know. How can you know? You're so far from it so how would you be able to? 

Now, if you've already accomplished it before then of course you would know how, and you've already created that belief in your subconscious mind that it is possible. But if you've never done it then you don't have that potential belief in your mind yet. So what you'll have to do is to find that potential.

How do you find the "potential" to keep motivation?

1. Ask someone else who's done it: How did they do it?

This is a pretty simple task, but it's not always that you can find someone. If you can, then great! They will plant the belief for you that it's possible and you can just copy what they did. You can learn a lot from them, even though we're all on different paths in life.

2. Visualisation: Imagine that you already have it

This is the most effective since it will, through repetition and affirmation, create the belief that you already have it and it's possible –> So your subconscious will figure out the necessary action steps for you to reach it . You create the belief through: An idea, a belief, repetition.

3. Strategy: A necessary action step

This is when you break down your goal into smaller pieces. So you have your "long term goal" right, your vision. But it might be so vague that you don't know how to make it practical yet. So you do this: 

You break the vision (C-goal, for example: Become a popular public speaker) into smaller pieces – > B-goals (practical achievements you can reach, for example "Hold my first seminar"), you break this goal down into smaller pieces –> A-goals (daily routines you set out for yourself, for example "Spend 1 hour every day practicing public speaking" or "Figure out way to hold a seminar" or "doing research"). Doing this on a daily basis leads up to the B-type goals. 

Now you might wonder: Well how does it all connect? Well there are some things called "Micro Components" which are basically things you CANNOT see yet. Opportunities arising from you taking practical action. When you take the practical action ideas will pop up and opportunities will arise for you. It is your job to become very aware of these and to catch them right away. 

And speaking of motivation: You don't "find" motivation, you create it for yourself. You develop a web of motivators no matter how you feel. I have a video on this you can check out. Also, set a goal for yourself (A-goal) to research motivation every day. And also set smaller goals for yourself doing the task even when you're not motivated.

Success isn't so fancy. There are no shortcuts, what it all basically boils down to are the routines you set out for yourself and how much you engage your mind to one idea.

Good luck :)

Edited by QandC

- Enter your fear and you are free -

Set your long term goals, then set short term goals that you think will help you advance to your long term goal...you can even set shorter term goals to reach your short term goals.

Completing these short term goals gives you that sense of accomplishment which keeps the motivation going for reaching your long term goal.

@QandC Excelent post. Thank you for writing this!

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay