zenjen

The fatal blow to the ego

28 posts in this topic

And yes the initial post sounds a little silly because I have a giant ego. Sorry, everyone. Lol.

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

This thread gave me a thought. Most people think that people who commit suicide are cowards. But, it takes (in most cases I'd imagine) the strongest will possible to actually end your life. It takes that exact same strongest of will to purposely kill the totality of your Ego/Self. 

It's a shame for all those that have committed suicide. They were looking for a way out of the suffering. If only they knew that they could kill themselves, without having to end their life. I bet once this knowledge spreads, the suicide rate will drop drastically. 

2 hours ago, Jed Vassallo said:

This thread gave me a thought. Most people think that people who commit suicide are cowards. But, it takes (in most cases I'd imagine) the strongest will possible to actually end your life. It takes that exact same strongest of will to purposely kill the totality of your Ego/Self. 

It's a shame for all those that have committed suicide. They were looking for a way out of the suffering. If only they knew that they could kill themselves, without having to end their life. I bet once this knowledge spreads, the suicide rate will drop drastically. 

@Jed Vassallo exactly!

– Zen Proverb

@Jed Vassallo

Here’s something I wrote down today that I think relates: 

“When you’re dreaming, do you think you’re the one who’s controlling it? Doesn’t everything seem so real when you’re in the dream? But then you wake up and say ‘that was a crazy dream, it felt so real!’ And go on with your day. When we have bad nightmares, the subconscious urge to wake up becomes stronger. Doesn’t it always seem in our nightmares we wake up abruptly when we are in danger or about to die? Life is a dream within a dream, just wake up!” Life looks literally like an absolute nightmare to those who commit suicide.

After my first experience with enlightenment, I fell into psychosis and thought that I would actually physically die if I fell asleep. My ego backlashed HARD. I was so desperate I went to the hospital and I made them give me drugs just to make me fall asleep because I hadn’t slept in days, and of course I awoke in a psychiatric unit. I guess this is the weird metaphor, things are finally seem to be coming full circle for me.

Edited by zenjen

– Zen Proverb

5 hours ago, zenjen said:

@Jed Vassallo

Here’s something I wrote down today that I think relates: 

“When you’re dreaming, do you think you’re the one who’s controlling it? Doesn’t everything seem so real when you’re in the dream? But then you wake up and say ‘that was a crazy dream, it felt so real!’ And go on with your day. When we have bad nightmares, the subconscious urge to wake up becomes stronger. Doesn’t it always seem in our nightmares we wake up abruptly when we are in danger or about to die? Life is a dream within a dream, just wake up!” Life looks literally like an absolute nightmare to those who commit suicide.

After my first experience with enlightenment, I fell into psychosis and thought that I would actually physically die if I fell asleep. My ego backlashed HARD. I was so desperate I went to the hospital and I made them give me drugs just to make me fall asleep because I hadn’t slept in days, and of course I awoke in a psychiatric unit. I guess this is the weird metaphor, things are finally seem to be coming full circle for me.

I actually never feel like a dream is real

22 hours ago, zenjen said:

The hardest pill for me to swallow: I have no control over my suffering or other people’s suffering. Even deeper, I will create it with my every action whether I like it or not. I feel the sadness of other people deeply because I’m very sensitive, and therefore I create it in myself and become very serious about the world. It’s something I still need to work through.

Oh how much I can relate. But you know what? If you would have control what would that then give you? It would bore you to death. There would be no point. If you had control of your happiness or sadness there would be no surprise left. We want control because we imagine it would give us peace or happiness but that is simply not true. The best things in life are the ones with an element of surprise. Expecting things to happen ruins them quite a lot of the time.

Yes, we feel the sadness of others, but why is that a sad thing? Isn't that the most beautiful evidence of us being the same? It is only your mind trying to tell you a sad story about sadness. Surely you can listen to the story if you like, but perhaps it is not necessary. Perhaps you can take the story for what it is, a story. :)

11 hours ago, zenjen said:

Something very similar happened to me! I had an epiphany or awakening, and I got into religion like crazy. Because of wrong understanding and I ended in a psychiatric hospital too. The interaction with other people in the same situation as me helped me to understand reality. Then I found this website that it helped me to focus more on what is real and not so much on my thoughts.

^_^

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

There are infinite ego deaths my padawans. Not only 1, the first one is what people are scared the most haha. As you grow, you let go of the mind matrix you are creating constantly, each day.