WildeChilde

What is Your Favorite Word For God?

82 posts in this topic

Ometeotl / Ometeotzin / Teoteotzin

In the Mexican prehispanic tradition (nahua) the belief was there was this one single self-generated thing that included it all. Since it divided itself into a duality, it is called “Ometeotl” for ome = two, and teotl = God.

The “parts that resulted from that division are Ometekuhtli and Omeziwatl (literally “two-man” and “two-woman”, but meaning rather dual man and dual woman). They are the ones who were generated but are able to generate, and they had four children representing the four cardinal points.

F76AC4DE-091A-4A50-A979-446DBCA4C8BE.jpeg

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

ᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠ

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

On 4/21/2018 at 6:34 AM, Mondsee said:

Ometeotl

Mmmmm...

The God of Omelets :D

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Mmmmm...

The God of Omelets :D

Haha! Yummm!!

altough... Ometeotzin and Teoteotzin are the most used forms, which are the diminutives.

In Nahuatl you use the diminutive both for things that you really love, and for things that you respect.

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

The Incas had Viracocha (also Pachacamac) – Created all living things

and

Inti – sun god and patron deity of the holy city of Cusco (home of the sun)

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

The Divine nature of all that is, is God, and if we praise all that is divine and holy, the chance of being shaped by the void/abyss is high, thus illumination of the path, and the build up of the self in its most proper form. 

Our higher self. 

The Void, which affects and is connected to reality itself, a mysterious thing. 

HaShem from Judaism meaning "The Name"

nothing is anything

17 hours ago, kieranperez said:

Harambe

Lol

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

On 21/4/2018 at 9:34 AM, Mondsee said:

Ometeotl / Ometeotzin / Teoteotzin

In the Mexican prehispanic tradition (nahua) the belief was there was this one single self-generated thing that included it all. Since it divided itself into a duality, it is called “Ometeotl” for ome = two, and teotl = God.

The “parts that resulted from that division are Ometekuhtli and Omeziwatl (literally “two-man” and “two-woman”, but meaning rather dual man and dual woman). They are the ones who were generated but are able to generate, and they had four children representing the four cardinal points.

F76AC4DE-091A-4A50-A979-446DBCA4C8BE.jpeg

Hey @Leo Gura! your recent blog post about the Aztecs reminded me of this thread. I first wanted to thank you for sharing, because that explanation is very complete and communicates the point really well.

About it I just wanted to suggest you further study this rather unknown philosophy, cause it gets even better. Spanish historians from the colonial era in Mexico and academics based on those historians have done a great disservice in misinterpreting the original meanings of their philosophy, and presenting them in books and museums as cultural colorful curiosities, but if you dig deeper you'll find that:

1. the original philosophy also includes explanations about duality... it is what is represented by "Ometeotl" or "Ometeotzin" (2nd is the diminutive form, used for things you love and respect) which is Teotl dividing itself in order to be experienced (the teachings say it first divided in female and masculine, and then they had another further 4 children representing the 4 cardinal points, but this is of course just a way of explaining the division of Teotl into everything)
  2. the Aztecs had also a discipline of moving meditation through dances, comparable to yoga asanas or tai-chi in other traditions. Those dances are also still practiced, but sadly many of them have been turned into shows for touristic attraction, losing the original meditative purpose of it.
  3. the Aztecs had also a kind of "solo retreats" called "Quest for vision"... which of course refers to the search of recognizing that you are Teotl. Those are also rare to find in its authentic fashion, but still performed in Mexico. In them people will go to a mountain and fast there sitting and doing nothing inside a circle delimited by tobacco during 4 days.
Edited by Mondsee

Changes depending on context. I usually say the universe or reality to most people. You don't really redefine God as nondual until you experience it so most people won't understand what I mean if I say God.

The Void. Infinity. Since reading Leo's blog post on Aztec nonduality, I like Teotl.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:55 PM, kieranperez said:

Harambe

xDxDxD

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

I like God as well. Western folks need to retake this word and update it to what it actually means, cause now it´s like a dirty world all messed up with meanings of what it is not.
Kinda like Gay used to be a bad condescending word but now it´s "retaken" cause we know better and it´s a "clean word" again. (at least here in sweden the swedish word for gay is like this, dont know if its transferrable to the american word)

If we take a new name we discard the history behind the first name, which can be good if its something completely different but in this case it´s not. God is non dual infinity and reality, but people have misunderstood. It´s time we give praise to everyone in our history who got it right and correct those who was wrong by retaking, reusing and updating the world God :) Otherwise churches might keep on doing the horrible things they do and teach in "god´s" name.