Peter Zemskov

How to meditate when not getting enough sleep?

30 posts in this topic

In my meditation practice I faced a pretty annoying problem. I noticed that I can't meditate productively after not getting enough sleep the night before. And the problem is that even if I sleep 7 hours I can't meditate without facing sleepiness/drowsiness problems. To properly meditate I need to sleep at least 8 hours but my life conditions don't always permit me to sleep those 8 hours. It's really annoying when I haven't slept 8 hours one night and my meditation session gets ruined. And the fact that I'm a night owl adds on top of that. Give me some advice on how I can meditate better when I hadn't the opportunity to sleep 8 hours.

15 minutes ago, Peter Zemskov said:

In my meditation practice I faced a pretty annoying problem. I noticed that I can't meditate productively after not getting enough sleep the night before. And the problem is that even if I sleep 7 hours I can't meditate without facing sleepiness/drowsiness problems. To properly meditate I need to sleep at least 8 hours but my life conditions don't always permit me to sleep those 8 hours. It's really annoying when I haven't slept 8 hours one night and my meditation session gets ruined. And the fact that I'm a night owl adds on top of that. Give me some advice on how I can meditate better when I hadn't the opportunity to sleep 8 hours.

Meditation doesn’t work for me to be honest. But this might:

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@Peter Zemskov Observe the annoyance and inability to stay focused... ;)

On a serious note though haha, just take a nap and meditate afterwards, or meditate later in the day (or earlier) when you have the most energy. Cheers.

@Peter Zemskov Meditate with your eyes open. Try and keep your back straight.

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@Peter Zemskov  I feel you dude! I'm an 8 hours solid kinda person also. 

I meditate daily even if I've had 3/4 hours sleep. To me personally it's non negotiable. Ways I prevent actually falling asleep... 

Back straight af.

Depending on how tired I am I do it with eyes open.

If your that tired your back starts to bend forward go meditate with your back upright against a wall, that way when you feel your back coming away from the wall you can adjust very very slowly. 

Go to the root issue as to why you aren't getting enough sleep.

I also think "so what if I become sleepy during meditation sometimes, at least I'm still putting in the effort everyday regardless" ?.

Try not to be too harsh on yourself also. 

♥️

@Charlotte Yes exactly, the only bad meditation session is a missed meditation session ;) 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

13 minutes ago, Max_V said:

@Charlotte Yes exactly, the only bad meditation session is a missed meditation session ;) 

?

@Max_V @Charlotte

hahah I'm like that as well when it comes to meditation. xD

do you ever think this could be a trap? like a new neurosis/addiction? (my parents mention that sometimes)

whatever arises, love that

@Peter Zemskov Also, any experience you endure in  meditation, treat it like a guest, you are the host, let the guest come and go and simply 'be' ♥️

@Charlotte not meditation per se. that meditation makes my life a better one, that's one of the only things I'm still sure about these days. but the attitude I have towards it sometimes feels neurotic. I plan my days around these practices and they keep getting more xD 

and sometimes my parents drop phrases like 'jesus, you can't spend a normal day without your yoga and meditation stuff' 

@Peter Zemskov A moderate amount of tea and a cold shower see me through a meditation real good when I'm tired. Really recommend. A cold shower before is great before hand regardless because it helps get you out of your head and thoughts and into your body, I find

@Charlotte if people here are neurotic, then definitively about our sacred spiritual practices xD

@Peter Zemskov maybe try to have some green tea before your meditation sessions? 

7 minutes ago, phoenix666 said:

if people here are neurotic, then definitively about our sacred spiritual practices 

I have absolutely no idea what you mean ?

If I meditate without having had proper sleep I feel like my head is exploding but when I'm fully awake and well rested I see a noticeable difference in the quality of my meditation so no matter how much you try to make it wprk without proper sleep, it just won't be as good as it can get . slove your sleeping problem instead. 

@Peter Zemskov Exercise first. Even just some cardio will wake you up for a more alert meditation. It’ll also improve your health and help you sleep better. You might also find some changes in diet will leave you less tired on less sleep. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

On 4/17/2018 at 1:50 AM, Peter Zemskov said:

how I can meditate better when I hadn't the opportunity to sleep 8 hours

It is very important for a meditator to see to it that he sleeps properly and enough. First take care of your sleep.

@phoenix666 Yes I can understand what you're talking about. 

I'm very committed to meditation so it doesn't even come up as something I have to decide to do every day. I just find myself being moved to the cushion and sitting.

My self-love has gotten a lot better but I think nevertheless, I would really struggle and give myself a hard time when I miss a day

The mix of motivation towards meditation is swinging to the positive side but there is still a part of negative motivation that drives me to do it because I will inevitably suffer if I don't.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus