in2deep

How "to be" when you want "to do" ?

13 posts in this topic

I sometimes struggle in these moments when I feel a strong desire “to do”.  But there’s no specific feeling of what to do. 

I guess the question is….

When you’ve limited the grasp of the ego and its desires.

When you’ve freed yourself from many societal constructs and obligations. 

When there’s nothing that you HAVE to do.  What do you do?

In trying to answer this question, I feel like the answer is “to be”.  And in most cases, “being” is wonderful!  It’s what I might call the essence of Life.  But during these moments of a strong urge “to do”, “being” feels lacking.  Incomplete. Confusing.  And the idea of “being” feels almost absurd.

This strong reaction has to be the ego but this realization doesn't provide much clarity.  Well maybe it does....but this feeling remains.  

Does anyone else wrestle with this?

i'm not that advanced on my self-actualization journey, but also have the feeling you describe sometimes.

Generally I do Medidation as it can be quite challenging to do when you have a strong urge to act. And eventhough it might no feel like it you are still getting some self-improvement-work done. 

Or you could go out an do some sport as afterward you will some sense of accomplishement calming down your urge "to do". Additionally it's also good for you as physical exercice keeps you healthy.

Edit : this might no help you "to be" but i personally find it is a good solution when you can't get yourself "to be" since it also helps in self-devellopement

Edited by A Seeker
i forgot something

Keep doing. See where that get's you and then you'll motives may change. Should statements to do less doing is just more doing. You can't win that game. Be conscious of your desire to keep doing and follow your desires (hell, that's all we do anyways to begin with) and eventually you'll have the motivation change to stop this losing game/battle. 

Understand why you want ‘to do’ 

And watch without the doer/knower 

Awarness becomes action free of disorder, which is order?

Edited by Faceless

Besides there’s nothing wrong with doing. Life is action. But there must be a constant state of being to?

8 minutes ago, Echoes said:

@in2deep there is only being. So doing is being being doing :P

Zang ????

9 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Understand why you want ‘to do’ 

And watch without the doer/knower 

Awarness becomes action free of disorder, which is order?

I need to sit with this: "why do I want to do"? 

Just now, in2deep said:

I need to sit with this: "why do I want to do"? 

Well what I would personally do is understand the nature of the doer. 

Which is volition/thought and psychological becoming. 

When one sees the imminent danger in something ther isn’t a deciding whether to avoid that. There is a complete action in the other direction. So to speak. 

Example, If you see a big truck speeding in your direction do you sit and think about moving or todo you simply act and move... That is a movement of intelligence to act without deliberation. The more you understanding this movement of the doer the more you see the consequences of moving in that direction. And therefore negate that whole movement because you see the disorder in it. 

Edited by Faceless

Explore psychological time. And it’s relationship to will/ego/self. 

And of course watch these movements/patterns in your self and perhaps others in daily living. Self awareness in relationship with another  is the greatest teacher. 

Edited by Faceless

Feels like a type a waiting period.  Or incubation period.  A waiting to act towards something.  But what I don't know.  

So I've been practicing, observing, and waiting.  And getting impatient lol. 

10 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Explore psychological time. And it’s relationship to will/ego/self. 

And thanks for the input.  Will definitely explore this.