Ruth

Giving up bad foods

15 posts in this topic

Has anyone got any advise for cutting out the unhealthy food that Leo recommends not eating like wheat, dairy ect. Obviously the best way to think about it is to just do it. However, I only manage to go for a few days before I end up breaking the rules and eating something because of cravings. Leo's video about overcoming addiction is helpful for this but I wondered if anyone has any more tips for getting through the first few weeks of adapting and managing to feel satisfied while eating healthy food? Should I just keep trying until it sticks? I really want to clean up my diet for so many reasons so I'm not lacking a good reason for changing but sometimes that isn't enough. 

Don't stress it, it takes months to change habits.
Start with the easiest things.

This worked for me : having a chocolate bar somewhere (hidden) in case, you know it's there.
If you really need it it's here, so you can feel more comfortable.
You have the choice : ignoring the chocolate bar, watching it, or eating it.
Backsliding is OK, as long as you're doing you're best to change you're habits.

Gradually you will shift the center of gravity of you're habits (homeostasis).

What would you like to cut off ?

Both (modern) wheat and dairy (casein protein) can actually have opioid like effects in some which can cause mild dependency. So it can be a bit more difficult than to "just do it". So realize when the cravings come that this is a withdrawal symptom and is an opportunity for you to become free from this addiction. The cravings will become less frequent and intense over time. In fact, your taste buds / gut flora / digestive enzymes can change to adapt to your new diet, and foods you once enjoyed can become uninteresting to you, and even sound a bit gross (as is the case with me and bread products). 

Try to make healthy food taste better, and have some healthy, tasty snacks around that you enjoy to help curb cravings. Do not have any food you are trying to avoid around. And commit and be okay with the fact that you're gonna go without something you like for a while, but that it will definitely get easier over time, and eventually become a non issue.

Additionally, many have claimed that supplementing L Glutamine (an amino acid) helps immensely with sugar cravings, if that's a problem for you. Not sure if it would help with other cravings but it may.  

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

@Soulbass Thanks that's a good idea. I eventually want to cut out wheat, dairy, sugar, and processed foods (like Leo suggested in his videos). I think at the moment wheat is my priority because I react pretty badly to it.

@InfinitePotential Thanks for your advice that's a really helpful way to look at it. I think sugar is probably my biggest problem so I might try the supplement and see if it helps. 

@Ruth As Soulbass said, it takes a while to change your eating habits. In some cases you can make changes over night, but for the most part its a gradual process. The easiest way to go about it, in my opinion, is to just focus on one thing at a time. Don't try to stop eating sugar, dairy, wheat and processed foods all at once. 

Next time you crave some sugary food, be mindful of the craving, observe the sensations and thoughts and then let it pass. As Leo says, Awareness is curative. If you crave sugary foods after a meal, try going for some fruit. Also, learn easy recipes with few ingredients. Few ingredients is the key to making cooking easy. And cooking/preparing meals yourself it the easiest way to stay healthy.

If it's dairy you want to cut out, try testing out various nut milks and using them every now and then so that you gradually get used to them. That's what I did. Took a while to completely swap cows milk out, but it worked. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

On 4/11/2018 at 3:09 PM, Ruth said:

Has anyone got any advise for cutting out the unhealthy food that Leo recommends not eating like wheat, dairy ect. Obviously the best way to think about it is to just do it. However, I only manage to go for a few days before I end up breaking the rules and eating something because of cravings. Leo's video about overcoming addiction is helpful for this but I wondered if anyone has any more tips for getting through the first few weeks of adapting and managing to feel satisfied while eating healthy food? Should I just keep trying until it sticks? I really want to clean up my diet for so many reasons so I'm not lacking a good reason for changing but sometimes that isn't enough. 

You need to reach a point where you fully realize the importance of eating healthy. The reason you go back to unhealthy foods is because your body doesn’t know what your mind knows. Logically, you know what generally healthy food is. However, it may not be fully implemented into your subconscious and so you get pulled back to your old ways of eating. 

I suggest doing more research into health and diet. The more you learn, the more you’ll program your body with that new information and it will naturally be easier for you to eat healthy. You have to convince yourself basically. 

@Ruth It’s impossible to stop eating poorly, because the thinking is still focused on eating poorly. Instead, start realizing more deeply that you want to eat healthy.Write down all the “why’s” you want this for on the wall so you see it everyday. There’s an ocean of consciousness right under your nose just waiting for that alignment. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Cool, thanks for all the advice ! I succeeded from almost 1 year now to quit almost all unhealthy food except sugar, I have some difficulty with that and sometime I overeat too. I tried some of the advice like hiding it, having dark chocolate to enjoy a meal that I like and now I am trying to slow down and to be more aware of my craving

. I think I am in a phase where I am little by little being aware with my body and sensation of why I want to quit all thoses unhealthy food. As you mentions guys, knowing is not enough.

I still feel addicted to overeating and sugar sometimes and I'll do my best to change it, Good luck to you and let persist and give ourself the time we need to gradualy make this shift... ;)

@Ruth  Sugar and fatthings are very addicting. I compare it to drugs.

I spent several years trying/on my way to clean up. It is insanely difficult to avoid garbage food. It is a learning process.

So litle by litle is my method.

I saw that you lived in England, so you have like Sweden a lot of rain and darkseasons. I figured that that makes everything way more difficult.

When I go away to warm countries, my weight drops drasticly and my mood skyrocket.

....upon returning...so does the blubber and bad health.

have you thought about getting these special light bulbs ? Broad Spectrum is the name and getting Vit D tested , there is this depression that is triggered by lack of sun. 

If you focus on bad food you will eat it :)

I would say educate yourself and go vegan. Many people think that eating vegan is a limitation but one learns after a while that all the inner conflicts about food disappears. 

Whole food plant based is the best we can eat and when we do, we feel it!

Opening the 5th chakra will do the trick the fastest way to ge in touch with reality and good food tastes. Remember that the 5th is connected to the sacral the 2nd chakra. Use the sacral to direct it into the muladhara 1st, etc.