TruthSeeker47

Would a buddha swat a mosquito?

44 posts in this topic

Where I live mosquitos are everywhere and I find that nearly everyday one is on my arm sucking my blood, because mosquitos have kind of attacked me by sticking their proboscis into my veins, I feel like it's acceptable to swat them otherwise I would be giving them too much power and putting my life and potentially my family's life in danger if I were to contract malaria from it.

But do you guys think that a buddha would feel the same? And if not, why?

Well, I read that the original Buddha (Siddharta) would meditate in the forest and mosquitos would come there and he just stayed still meditating.

The Buddha was in complete control of his reality. Once you understand how it all works. It becomes the most simple and natural thing. The key is Vibration.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@Ether Thats alot of discipline but I guess it makes more sense than the original buddha going around swatting mosquitos lol

@pluto I hope one day I too, take control of mine

Let say you mosquito lands on your testicles and you use the violence to solve the problem.

You smack the mosquito hard, kill it and then what is the aftermath? It could last for a long time :D

That actually makes sense, because if I will be reincarnated as the mosquito I feel also feel the pain, but I still don't see another way to get rid of it.

Either way,

images.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

I often see people swat mosquitos against their arm or leg. What they don't realize is they are actually injecting themselves with the contents of the mosquito's stomach. 

@cetus56 Thats pretty gross but wouldn't that just be their own blood? What else do mosquitos consume?

Just now, TruthSeeker47 said:

@cetus56 Thats pretty gross but wouldn't that just be their own blood? What else do mosquitos consume?

@TruthSeeker47 The blood from a stranger or even an animal. They go from one host to another.

@cetus56 Darn thats true O.o, I need to be more cautious then cause that could be even more dangerous than letting stay there and bite me

3 minutes ago, TruthSeeker47 said:

@cetus56 Darn thats true O.o, I need to be more cautious then cause that could be even more dangerous than letting stay there and bite me

Probably best to just shoo them away. Go half Buddha on them!

I think nonviolence is a cardinal tenant of buddhism. Don't think he would have killed the mosquito.

Your profile says you're from Australia. If that's the case then your hypothetical isn't actually based on reason. A household dog is probably statistically far more of a threat to your family's life than mosquitos are. 

If ya lived in Africa it might be a different story.

Edited by Arman

@Arman Thats true I guess, not many people actually die of mosquito Bourne diseases here because it's a pretty wealthy country. It just seems like i'm choosing to suffer on the behalf of the mosquito by letting it bite me and at my current state of consciousness that seems pretty ridiculous

i'm choosing to suffer on the behalf of the mosquito by letting it bite me and at my current state of consciousness that seems pretty ridiculous

I mean it itches for a while, yeah. Not the most intense form of suffering. Is that worth ending an animals life? 

For the record I kill roaches when I find em in the kitchen.

This topic reminds me of a chapter from Autobiography of a Yogi regarding mosquitos. I'll paste it below for anyone who may enjoy reading it. The bolded part is the most relevant. 

My early months with Sri Yukteswar culminated in a useful lesson”How to Outwit a Mosquito.” At home my family always used protective curtains at night. I was dismayed to discover that in the Serampore hermitage this prudent custom was honored in the breach. Yet the insects were in full residency; I was bitten from head to foot. My guru took pity on me.

“Buy yourself a curtain, and also one for me.” He laughed and added, “If you buy only one, for yourself, all mosquitoes will concentrate on me!”

I was more than thankful to comply. Every night that I spent in Serampore, my guru would ask me to arrange the bedtime curtains.

The mosquitoes one evening were especially virulent. But Master failed to issue his usual instructions. I listened nervously to the anticipatory hum of the insects. Getting into bed, I threw a propitiatory prayer in their general direction. A half hour later, I coughed pretentiously to attract my guru’s attention. I thought I would go mad with the bites and especially the singing drone as the mosquitoes celebrated bloodthirsty rites.

No responsive stir from Master; I approached him cautiously. He was not breathing. This was my first observation of him in the yogic trance; it filled me with fright.

“His heart must have failed!” I placed a mirror under his nose; no breath-vapor appeared. To make doubly certain, for minutes I closed his mouth and nostrils with my fingers. His body was cold and motionless. In a daze, I turned toward the door to summon help.

“So! A budding experimentalist! My poor nose!” Master’s voice was shaky with laughter. “Why don’t you go to bed? Is the whole world going to change for you? Change yourself: be rid of the mosquito consciousness.”

Meekly I returned to my bed. Not one insect ventured near. I realized that my guru had previously agreed to the curtains only to please me; he had no fear of mosquitoes. His yogic power was such that he either could will them not to bite, or could escape to an inner invulnerability.

“He was giving me a demonstration,” I thought. “That is the yogic state I must strive to attain.” A yogi must be able to pass into, and continue in, the superconsciousness, regardless of multitudinous distractions never absent from this earth. Whether in the buzz of insects or the pervasive glare of daylight, the testimony of the senses must be barred. Sound and sight come then indeed, but to worlds fairer than the banished Eden.7

The instructive mosquitoes served for another early lesson at the ashram. It was the gentle hour of dusk. My guru was matchlessly interpreting the ancient texts. At his feet, I was in perfect peace. A rude mosquito entered the idyl and competed for my attention. As it dug a poisonous hypodermic needle into my thigh, I automatically raised an avenging hand. Reprieve from impending execution! An opportune memory came to me of one of Patanjali’s yoga aphorismsthat on ahimsa (harmlessness).

“Why didn’t you finish the job?”

“Master! Do you advocate taking life?”

“No; but the deathblow already had been struck in your mind.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Patanjali’s meaning was the removal of desire to kill.” Sri Yukteswar had found my mental processes an open book. “This world is inconveniently arranged for a literal practice ofahimsa. Man may be compelled to exterminate harmful creatures. He is not under similar compulsion to feel anger or animosity. All forms of life have equal right to the air of maya.The saint who uncovers the secret of creation will be in harmony with its countless bewildering expressions. All men may approach that understanding who curb the inner passion for destruction.”

“Guruji, should one offer himself a sacrifice rather than kill a wild beast?”

“No; man’s body is precious. It has the highest evolutionary value because of unique brain and spinal centers. These enable the advanced devotee to fully grasp and express the loftiest aspects of divinity. No lower form is so equipped. It is true that one incurs the debt of a minor sin if he is forced to kill an animal or any living thing. But the Vedas teach that wanton loss of a human body is a serious transgression against the karmic law.”

I sighed in relief; scriptural reinforcement of one’s natural instincts is not always forthcoming.

@Arman Thanks for sharing that, it seems really supernatural that the master is able to will the mosquitos away from him. I guess relieving the itch isn't worth the value of life but my rationale was that it's life was nothing but constantly sucking the blood of others.

but my rationale was that it's life was nothing but constantly sucking the blood of others.

sounds like my mate talking about his ex