Omario

Thoughts on Jordan peterson

46 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura

@Dinesh Karki

Suppose we were able to share meanings freely without a compulsive urge to impose our view or conform to those of others and without distortion and self-deception. Would this not constitute a real revolution in culture.

David Bohm

@Dinesh Karki I find him worth to listen to if u interested in psychology and maps of meanings in extraordinary stories that reflect ordinary life. he also has great understanding of Old Testament but not yet of New Testament. JBP is expert on so called lower plane of truth or dark side of life and how to handle it, that's why he likes Dostoyevsky, Nietzsche and other ppl who investigated ugly side of humanity. This is Old Testament (God is strict judge). Truth seeking starts with realisation of suffering that were caused by ignorant actions, and ways how to start doing right thing in terms of behaviour that is more with alignment with reality so you don't need to live in chaos, and through that process you meet with judge or karmic aspect of god (Old Testament). That's JBP s area of expertise

But he doesn't talk about higher plane of truth or bright side of humanity (Jesus and New Testament, God is love). But on the other hand, we have plenty of people who talks about bright side of truth through direct experience like Mooji etc. And not so much of dark side, so JBP is ending up to be on the right place, doing something which we also need in order to see bigger picture.

10 hours ago, Monkey-man said:

Best thing JBP does is cartoons.

I want JBP to make archetypical analysis of every Disney cartoon.

Are there any good books, websites, videos about archetypes and meanings in Disney cartoons, and in movies in general?

Check out Jonathan Pageau

WARNING: these videos have some political, archetypal and egoic charge, be meta about it, don't let it distract you. but instead use as a guide to understand yourself and other people.

Edited by Akim

2 hours ago, Monkey-man said:

I find him worth to listen to if u interested in psychology and maps of meanings in extraordinary stories that reflect ordinary life. he also has great understanding of Old Testament but not yet of New Testament. JBP is expert on so called lower plane of truth or dark side of life and how to handle it, that's why he likes Dostoyevsky, Nietzsche and other ppl who investigated ugly side of humanity. This is Old Testament (God is strict judge). Truth seeking starts with realisation of suffering that were caused by ignorant actions, and ways how to start doing right thing in terms of behaviour that is more with alignment with reality so you don't need to live in chaos, and through that process you meet with judge or karmic aspect of god (Old Testament). That's JBP s area of expertise

But he doesn't talk about higher plane of truth or bright side of humanity (Jesus and New Testament, God is love). But on the other hand, we have plenty of people who talks about bright side of truth through direct experience like Mooji etc. And not so much of dark side, so JBP is ending up to be on the right place, doing something which we also need in order to see bigger picture.

That as an interesting way to look at it. Come to think of it looks like he does focus on the negative more. Even his Easter message is somewhat sobering and a little bit tragic not joyful and happy as in traditional Christianity.

But may be the current culture needs and craves it.

Reminded me of:

Campbell began sharing this idea with students during his lectures in the 1970s. By the time that The Power of Myth was aired in 1988, six months following Campbell's death, "Follow your bliss" was a philosophy that resonated deeply with the American public—both religious and secular.[61]

During his later years, when some students took him to be encouraging hedonism, Campbell is reported to have grumbled, "I should have said, 'Follow your blisters.'"

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell, who is another great researcher of myths.

Edited by Akim

On 4/8/2018 at 8:11 PM, Leo Gura said:

@Omario Be careful. Ideology is not consciousness.

All ideology is going to limit your growth.

People such as Peterson and Sam Harris are actually ideologues. Which is why they develop sorts of cult followings. It's a modernized form of religion.

People with strong opinions betray their lack of consciousness and understanding of reality.

The more conscious you become, the less opinions and enemies you will have.

Constant criticism, debating, and self-justifying are sure signs of low consciousness.

If an ideology or worldview appeals to you, you should be extra wary of it.

I just listened to Sam Harris today and his recent interview with Russell Brand. I had to stop listening to it because Harris kept on interrupting Brand non-stop in order to insert his ideologies into what valuable information Russell Brand had to say. His ego was getting really fired up and he was disagreeing with basically everything Brand said. 

The only thing I fear, well not really but what I think might be happening, is that quite a few people take Leo's information as an ideology because they've never experienced it themselves. I haven't experienced my true nature yet, and I'm just beginning to delve into the workings of the conceptual self with Peter Ralston's contemplation habit, but I'm trying my hardest to develop strong epistemic guiding principles such as always having a healthy dose of skepticism when I hear something for the first time. 

"That which the world calls day is the night of ignorance to the wise." - Bhagavad Gita

Becoming Conscious