iyfe

Is Holotropic Breathing Necessary for Healing Trauma?

13 posts in this topic

I just watched Leo's new video on holotropic breathing, and was deeply fascinated by it. Yet I feel so dissapointed because I know it must be extremely powerful but I cant do it. Not only do I have a personal history of depersonalization and panic attacks, but also a family history of schizophrenia, so I am extremely fearful of doing it, and dont think it would be a good idea. Are there other, non (possibly) hallucinogenic ways to heal?

Yes, there are a myriad of ways! Don't be disheartened. 

If you want the very gentle but extraordinarily effective technique, try the book Letting Go by David R Hawkins. 

If you stick to shorter sessions I think you will be fine. I have at least a family history of schizophrenia too and it hasn't been a problem for tripping or this exercise. Obviously that might not hold true for you, but the breathing is not as intense as psychedelics and you can stop practing whenever you like if you get worried.

You will be okay, start at 10 minutes. Then do 20, then do 30. If you are comfortable with 30, then go longer and be extra careful around the hour + mark like Leo mentioned. 

The breathing is a controllable technique, unlike psychedelics, I think it will be good for you.

I'm sure thousands upon thousands of people have ditched emotional trauma without doing this particular exercise, so no, I sure wouldn't waste time worrying about it if you can't do it. It's one tool.

Yoga, kundalini work or SER, probably many other techniques

There are a variety of ways to release trapped emotions: acupuncture, journaling, talk therapy or even exercise. But the most reliable method I know of is SomatoEmotional Release (SER), an approach I developed along with biophysicist Zvi Karni at MSU. SER was designed specifically to release trapped emotions and allow the physical ailments that often accompany them to resolve naturally. The powerful results often include improved body functioning, loss of pain, greater mobility and more enjoyment of life.

Understanding the Full Range of Responses

The release of painful or hurtful emotions can cause clients to react in many different ways. They might burst into tears, curl into a fetal position, curse, shake, laugh uncontrollably or even strike the massage table.

Any sort of solid sadhana practice should help you.

@iyfe Yes, there are other ways to heal. You can find different methods that may suit you better if you search for them. Yoga practices (bhakti, kriya, even jnana) can definitely help you. Sadhguru has kriya techniques available, which I'm quite positive are less turbulent than holotropic breathing and psychedelics. I'd imagine self-inquiry the way Ramana teaches it also works. It's not just for getting some basic experience of void but slowly uprooting the I-thought and thus also problems, which all are related to it. Good luck.

@Arman I’ve been thinking about buying this book. Could you tell me a little bit about it and if it helped you? 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

The best way to heal traumas is to practice feeling your emotions. All memories linked to that emotion including traumas will be healed. It's simple, and it works well if you have the discipline to feel.

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

Alexander Lowen's bioenergotheraphy might be useful for you.

... or Teal Swans "completion process"...

yeah, holotropic breathing def. not necessary

52 minutes ago, Max_V said:

@Arman I’ve been thinking about buying this book. Could you tell me a little bit about it and if it helped you? 

The book details a method by which to surrender emotions that arise. Hawkins main body of work was about detailing the various levels of consciousness and the pathway through various levels of enlightenment. In his final book Letting Go, he has packaged the technique for surrender/release in a way to be used for personal growth and transformation.

@Solace pretty much nails the premise in his post above mine. 

The 'surrendered state' becomes somewhat akin to a mudra or receptive yin state rather than a doing of anything. 

Most of the book discusses the nature of emotions, thoughts, energies, the various barriers and what to expect as one goes up the 'scale', as well as various testimonials. It is far from a technical text, more inspirational than anything. 

For me it has definitely improved the different areas of my life. When I first encountered the technique, I had been practicing shadow work (taking time out specifically do dive into and release traumas) for maybe a few years. I found that to be a very enduring and obtuse process, but not without its gains. I've found the application of this technique to be much more effective at creating rapid changes. When I first read the book, despite having a background in meditation and spiritual practice, I was still emotionally a man-baby. I could say now that I have graduated to becoming a man-toddler. My general life experience is far more comfortable, with much of the background anxiety and discomfort dissolved. I am generally much more at ease, capable and confident, and several areas of longstanding stuckness have opened up. One example is going from feeling very apathetic on the subject of life purpose and money, to that area opening up in a very clear and satisfying way. What I want to do and how I want to achieve it is laid out and enjoyable to pursue. Relationships and socializing have also gotten much easier. These are some typical gains of anyone who is relinquishing the blockages to happiness through the letting go technique, or similar techniques. 

If you have a background in interest/research of consciousness, then I highly suggest first reading the book 'Power Vs. Force' which provides the foundation of consciousness research upon which most of Hawkins derived implications are based. The book and its premise, to put it lightly, is fucking insane. 

Edited by Arman

Healing entails going backwards. You open up the and in your body/mind will feel the same as the day you had the trauma, including re-living the moments with images, sound and everything.