Applejuice

Will I become schizophrenic if I take LSD?

21 posts in this topic

So I've had some weird ego bending experiences on weed, and i've been looking into psychedelics for a couple of years now, not from the perspective of wanting to get as fucked up as possible and seeing cool shit but to find out the true nature of reality and experience ego death. Also to notice how I am really without my beliefs getting in the way. But I am 16 and I know that's young but I have been thinking about it for a really really long time and I think this is something I want to do. Also my mum is schizophrenic so I don't know if it will be safe? I heard that lsd can make latent schizophrenia ( there is a high chance of having it if I have a parent that is schizophrenic) come on sooner. My brother took acid at 21 and he was fine. The tabs I'm getting I will test so I know it's lsd and not a nbmoe compound which I know can be deadly in small doses. The tab is 120 ug. I want to take 60mg just to get a taste. Is this a smart idea? Or is there real risk of me breaking my brain forever? I was thinking that maybe being lost in ego leads to schizophrenia and if I meditate and I just go with the flow and I don't fight the trip and let it run its course through me I should be fine right? What do you guys think? My mum wasn't diagnosed but she has psychosis and delusions so I don't know what psychological diseases she has, but I know there is something there. Any thoughts?

Edited by Applejuice
I repeated myself

Just for the fact that you are 16, I would 100% recommend waiting. Your brain is still developing and so is your perception of the world. I think the most helpful thing you can do if you are serious about the spiritual path is to lay down a strong foundation with daily meditation. In addition, focus on your studies, learn about the world through the various subjects: science, English, mathematics, art, nutrition, physical health, etc. I would not recommend any sort of drug use till university years because thats when I tried them. When I was sixteen, all I cared about was video games, but I sure wished I put more time into my studies and reading books. 

If schizophrenia runs in your immediate family, I would definitely recommend against taking LSD. You have a higher chance of becoming schizophrenic than the general population. Instead of schizophrenia, your mother may have a Schizotypal personality https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizotypal_personality_disorder . There are genetics and environmental components to both of them.

I am not sure if something like schizophrenic can be ignored, it is a serious thing that effects the brain. You can find revealing MRI images showing the effects of schizophrenia on the brain on google.

Brian Wilson and Syd Barret, while they made awesome music inspired from LSD, had Schizophrenia c-spectrum symptoms after dosing numerous times.

Edited by SgtPepper
grammar

7 hours ago, Applejuice said:

But I am 16 and I know that's young but I have been thinking about it for a really really long time and I think this is something I want to do. Also my mum is schizophrenic so I don't know if it will be safe? 

I know you don't want to hear this, but its the truth. You are 16 do not take acid, wait until you are at lest 21

Yes, as you are quite young. Psychedelics are nothing to mess with, that I can tell from first hand experience. Especially acid, I find that if you have deep rooted pet beliefs and theories, acid might actually reinforce them instead of deconstruct, and that's trouble because if your experience of the world is this, but your theory of it (which is entirely in your mind) is that, and they do not match and you don't have enough awareness to see it early enough and that is a potential downward spiral from there.

Ofc that's just my experience but yeah, an advice.

@Applejuice Don't. Both due to your age and the genetic risk. I'll give you a third reason: psychedelic use can give you experiences of ego death, this and that, and make you think you reach some deeper understanding when the trips are over, but, nobody has ever reached abiding enlightenment through psychedelics. Debatably, some people have reached a basic state of non-dual awareness, but that is very far from truly being liberated. 

Edited by Markus

@herghly Martin Ball is a very weird case. His heart is very open but his energies are quite fucked up. The state probably doesn't feel too bad but astral energies are operating in his body, hence his supposed god voice and barking and other weird things he does. If you read his autobiography you can get a sense of the weirdness. His state really doesn't correspond to anyone else's description of enlightenment, I'd say it's an anomaly, a quasi-enlightened state he is stuck in. And there is definitely karma, blockages, issues left. Doesn't seem like a good idea to end up being like him.

Even if the risk of schizophrenia is low, it's still a BAD idea because of your age. The stats are clear that kids who use cannabis before the age of 18 are substantially (several times) more likely to develop schizophrenia. Anecdotally the kids I knew who started taking drugs when in their early to mid teens were generally mentally unstable. I know LSD and cannabis aren't the same thing but the point remains that you should at least allow your brain and your reality to properly form around you before you go and decide that you want to shatter it. 

You don’t need anything. Because you are it. Haha shhh 

I would say just meditate and study non-duality, find a good teacher.

Maybe after a few years of meditation do psychedelics if you are sure, if you feel like taking it, because doing this from a young age is powerful as it is.

But schizophrenia is just higher weirder degrees of believing in thoughts/ego.

And sometimes unresolved trauma/suppressed emotions, manifesting out of the subconscious, as hallucinations, and sometimes mixed with psychic senses opening up.

I will agree that age is the major obstacle there. You don't really need psychedelics now, they are a red-herring, because you have still a lot of other important work to do at that age. I am only 20, but a difference those 4 years of growing and self-actualization made in me is HUGE. Stick to practices, like Yoga, which rocks or finding life purpose or pick up, whatever you like. 

If you take psychedelics now, you will end up worrying if you have fucked up your body and mind or not. It's not worth it. There's no need to rush that thing. Life is a long-term game. 

I did mushrooms when I was 14/15 and it was amazing, my mind wasn't ramped with loads of shit so the experience was really pure. My mum also had schizophrenia and her mother and I'm fine (I'm 27).

Don't take this as a reason to do them though, just throwing in a difference of opinion through experience. 

Just to add I took them with a completely open mind, totally open to all experience, no objective. 

Do not smoke weed either.I was smoking weed in your age and i had brain problems in my later years.Maybe the psychotic behaviour is caused beacause your brain is still in development wait at least till 18 if you want to smoke.It is not a good habit it will destroy you if you abuse it like me.It may even create a psychotic episode.You are too young man you have to understand how many years are waiting you... be patient you have tons of years experiencing new experiences don't waste them all before 20 years old.I took first time lsd before some months i am 23 and i understand that i am very young.Just meditate man and try to stay away from weed because with weed you can not have clear and sharp mind!!!Brain is the most precious organ in your body.It can fix everything alse, don't destroy it with drugs.Everything will happen in the right time.Be careful i love you <3

If you want to pick a beginners psychedelic i would recommend low dose 2c-b. Its the most gentle or maybe low dose mushrooms.

Other's have given better advice already but thought i'd throw in that there just in case.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

If you smoke too much cannabis you will have a psychotic episode.If you chose to smoke after 18 stay always away from the skunk strains.If you will be a regular user you would not be able to meditate don't get traped in the delusion you are doing meditation...I was so much in love with this plant i tried everything...I just cant continue smoke this fucking shit....If you stay away from cannabis in your later years after a lot of real meditation you will be able to handle a lsd trip.Don't forget that everyone can have a psychotic episode with psychedelics furthermore i want to advice you not seeking the ego death...i am advanced in my development and i am not sure if i can handle it.If everythink goes right and you are lucky you will experience the paradise but the bigger possibility is that you will not be able to handle it and you will freak out because you will experience death in other words you will experience hell.So i advice you to stay away from weed at least for two more years(if you can remove it from your life you can smoke every 3 months for example and not in your house)as for lsd it will appear in your life when it is the right time.Make sure you do not smoke weed the previous 10 days.People here claim you have to be 21 so i cannot give you another advice i have no experience.For sure i do not suggest taking psychedelics before your brain is fully developed.But you know...in the end you will do whatever you like.

@SgtPepper Yeah you're right I should probably wait and it could trigger schizophrenia. What about 5meo dmt?

@Charlotte Okay great. I will wait until 21 until I try psychedelics. That's good to hear  phew. Weren't you scared of triggering schizophrenia?

@Applejuice

That's great to hear ?

No, I honestly don't/didn't believe just because my Mum has/had it that I will inherit it, I see myself as a blank page. I think if you believe something hard enough it will happen e.g. "Oh my mum/dad have depression so I will have it", you could literally be waiting around your whole life watching and waiting for schizophrenia, over analysing everything, possibly even trigger it because you've thought about it that much. Yes there's the scientific approach to genetically inheriting a condition or whatever but I (personally) believe you can make your own choices with the right mindset. I see myself as a completely separate being from my parents. 

Hope this helps and well done for approaching with caution, shows maturity ^_^