Mirror of Confusion

Heavy cramping/spasm pain while rebirthing and holotropic breathing sessions

12 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I just wanted to ask you if here is anyone who is experienced with rebirthing (Leonard Orr) and holotropic breathing (Stanislav Grof)?

I attended in two hb sessions in December and both times my arms began to cramp intently. I was breathing like mad for 2-3 hours and my guide encouraged me to go on while I was waiting for a release of pain. Sometimes I was shaking and energy was flooding my body, but the relaxation just slowly came after 3.5 hours.

My second experience was 2 days ago where I attended in a rebirting session. It's a similar procedure with a slightly different breathing technique. Again my arms began to cramp and I was in pain. I tried to relax but it was not possible. Again my body felt like shaking and I was very aware of my shakras (flooding with energy). My guide told me that this was his longest session (like 2.5 hours of breathing) and one hour relexation while my arms were still cramped after 4-5 hours. I was totally exhausted and felt emotionally instable afterwards.

Both times were a bit scary and were mainly operating on the physical level. There was no emotional release and no blockages that opened up. Or at least I feel like that.

So now I'm asking myself if I should continue the breathwork or if it's to dangerous for me. Perhaps there are really some deep blockages and emotional stuff that are hiding under the surface?

Anyone with experience here?

What's the difference between a duck?

@Mirror of Confusion Hi. Just wondering why your not asking your "guide" about this if they are the experts?

I know nothing at all about this but it sounds like a good recipe for hyper ventilating. When we change our breathing drastically it causes chemical changes in the body. You may want to look into that.

Hey @cetus56

Yeah I asked him and he told me that it can happen sometimes like in my case. As you said hyper ventilation can cause these effect. His argumentation was that there are hidden blockages in my body that are causing the cramps and I should go on with other sessions. In his opinion the cramps will go away and I will learn to relax if I go on.

It's just that I wanted get a second opinion here.

@Mirror of Confusion Just my guess but I think you where supposed to experience a release during the session. From the amount of time you put into it, it sounds like that wasn't happening.

Yes there should have been a release sooner or later. But it wasn't happening.

Of course I was frustrated after the session and I thought something was wrong with me.

Hi @Mirror of Confusion,

I came across your query on this forum while searching for something related to rebirthing myself. I have had a few rebirthing sessions myself so I think I'll be able to give you some insight.

• As For "So now I'm asking myself if I should continue the breathwork or if it's to dangerous for me"
    • There's nothing dangerous about Rebirthing. Just stick to dry rebirthing ( with breath ) until you know what your are doing. I have found it ( and other similar therapies i,e HB ) to be most effective and fastest tools to overcome emotional blocks / psychic impressions from our subconscious. 
  • As for your cramps, from what I have read its called tetany ( or tettany ) and its a good sign. Read more about it here - http://www.rebirthingbreathwork.co.uk/articles/breathing_and_healing

• Regarding, no emotional release or no blockages opening up, here are a few plausible explanations / solutions

• Explanation : Just stick with it, keep on doing more sessions. Initially when we start off with these powerful therapies or meditation, most of us have gross consciousness and cannot recognize the subtle things or emotions. This means that although the emotional release might be happening but we are not able to recognize it. This was the case with me as well. Didn't had much experiences or only had physical experiences like you during my first few sessions ( Around 10 maybe ). But don't give up. Never give up. 

• Solution As for having more profound experiences, have faith and surrender to whosoever god or goddess or masters you believe in. Don't be too logical. Just surrender while doing rebirthing sessions.

• As For "Perhaps there are really some deep blockages and emotional stuff that are hiding under the surface?

• Don't worry about what's there or what's not there. There were times when i used to think that i have released a lot and only a little bit more is left only to soon realize that I have just started. Just focus on what's troubling you the most in the present moment and focus / attack on that. 

I hope I have answered your queries. Take care. Let me know if you have any further queries.

Edited by bwad

if your hands start to spasm try to open them up with force, that's what I did.

first time i experienced it i didnt do anything and they hurt after.

the second time i thought i'd force them open, it was hard, but it didnt hurt later. i also noticed for me the forcing is only at the beginning if i try to keep the palms open. as the reversing goes on they just keep being open.

When one opens up, be prepared for hell on earth, literally ;) Only after bliss arises. 

@bwad Hey! I just saw that you replied to this thread.

Your answers were really helpfull. To be honest I just quitted the practice and didn't think about it anymore. But now I'm motivated to start again.

I will let you know whats happening :-)

@Toon Thank you Toon. I already saw that advice from JP.

Do you have any experience with his online courses?