Frylock

Seeing older people go through little to no spiritual growth...

21 posts in this topic

The older people in my family, and my friends who are older (when I say older, I generally think 50+ years old) have pretty much been the same for most of their lives. Still going through the same life worries, still closed-minded, still spiritually "poor" i.e. not very high on the conscious scale.

This worries me in a way. I can't imagine going another 20, 30 years with very little actualization growth in my life. And yet most of the people that I know, from my perspective, remain in the same rut for the rest of their lives. To me, that seems like hell. I don't want to be stuck in neutral. I know it's not my place to judge others and where they're at in life. But still... I feel bad about how stunted and closed minded people are for very long periods of time.

I get that same feeling as well. I try to remind myself that I don't know what the person has experienced in life, or what their current mental, emotional, or spiritual state might be. It's difficult to come to terms with the feeling, especially when you have found something that has improved your life in a great way. I'm still floored by the direction my life could have gone if I hadn't become involved with meditation and other spiritual practices. 

Part of the process is reconciling what is with what you can do about it. I've found that it's best to try to guide people, but never expect them to change in any particular way. Just be there for them if that's what you feel is right. It's difficult to let go of a measure of control your mind wants to have in the matter. After a while it begins to become a bit more peaceful. 

As saddening as it feels sometimes, I try to remind myself how nice it is to have a different perspective on the matter. I feel privileged to not be stuck in certain low-consciousness behaviour any more (or at least more aware of it when I do engage in LC behaviour).

I agree, and see it with my family, too.  My parents are pretty closed-off, but I realise they can only act according to what they know and feel.  They also grew up in a completely different era to me.  Depression/anxiety, self-awareness etc was never discussed in their day so they carry that belief forward to the present day.  They're also emotionally shutdown to a huge degree, which again is a byproduct of their upbringing.  They're conditioned this way.  My Dad especially gets uncomfortable if any spiritual talk is said, but I usually avoid it at all costs as it's not something I like to preach about.

My parents hardly ever open up about their childhood, but on the rare occasion they do, I realise how emotionally shattered they are to this day and how they have continually repressed any emotional suffering they have endured.  I also realise how their way of life has deeply impacted me to this day and the amount of healing I am having to do.  Still, I don't blame them - as I said, they know no different and brought me up as best as they could.

@Frylock Sounds like a life purpose opportunity ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

@Frylock Don’t worry about it, when you become enlightened, everyone else does too. ❤️

Dude, when i felt more calm (which im still under the effect), literally, my presence made my dad and grandma calmer

@Nahm Why am I not invited to the party ?

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it 

- A Course in Miracles

He-he, I love reading you guys.

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

7 hours ago, Nahm said:

@Ether That’s awesome, and man, it runs so much deeper too. 

just imagine when im actually

WOKE

Growth isn't a given. People can even go backwards. Should it be a surprise that people develop very little when they simply don't know how? Most people don't even know they can grow at all. It's a vague idea on the periphery at best. 

Why should that concern you though? As long as you have placed your intention towards growth then you'll move towards it. 

If you're fat, then you need to exercise and eat healthy to shed the pounds.

If you don't know that, you'll stay fat.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:32 PM, Ether said:

just imagine when im actually

WOKE

Why wait? lol 

Because they've never been told otherwise. When they grew up, this information was more difficult to come by and now many of them have become so trapped in their petty worries that they would not consider self actualisation even if you paid them do do so. When people are caught up in worry cycle, self growth goes aside. 

You were once the same before you started awakening but you had help from others, they didn't.

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

12 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Because they've never been told otherwise. When they grew up, this information was more difficult to come by and now many of them have become so trapped in their petty worries that they would not consider self actualisation even if you paid them do do so. When people are caught up in worry cycle, self growth goes aside. 

You were once the same before you started awakening but you had help from others, they didn't.

Buddha didnt get help from anybody...in the beginning.

We all know what happened... B|

On 4/4/2018 at 3:03 PM, Nahm said:

@Frylock Don’t worry about it, when you become enlightened, everyone else does too. ❤️

Perhaps they have been around the block long enough to know that what you are talking about is really just BS. 

@Frylock Sounds like judging and assigning value.

They are being, just like you are being and adyashanti is being