Joseph Maynor

Joseph Maynor's Monthly Personal Development Journal No.2: A Philosopher's Dream

227 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I started a new Journal.  It's time for me to start a new leaf.  An end of a chapter has happened.  Refer to my old Journal and use it to benefit your own personal development!  That was part of the reason I created it.  It was for me but for you too.  I'm gonna deconstruct that Journal myself in the coming months.  But it's time for a new Journal now, a blank canvas, a new start, a clean page.

Fragonard,+Jean-Honor%C3%A9+(1732-1806)+

Edited by Joseph Maynor

There's a difference between being a hamster on a wheel satisfying the Egoic-self versus working hard to sustainably solve your own authentic macro-level actual problem situations in your own life.  

Posted (edited)

A NON-ESSENTIALISTIC THEORY OF PROOF THAT DOESN’T COMMIT THE IMPACT FALLACY

Essentialism is the idea that there is one sort of ideal form that something is.  It’s the generality that all the particulars are getting at.  It’s the principle in Physics that can fill countless laboratory experiments.  It’s the general principle behind something that all the particular instances are examples of.  The Impact Fallacy is the assumption that we can wield essentialist statements like swords to resolve issues in new contexts.   What we lack oftentimes is sensitivity to the particular and to the context.  We privilege the general, context-independent statement over the particular, context-dependent statement when it comes to how we think about knowledge.  We are inclined to want to find general principles that hold in all contexts.  We look for the mother principle that holds in all contexts that governs all the particular cases.  This kind of thinking works pretty well in the Empirical Sciences, but not always so good outside the Empirical Sciences.  The issue of Proof is a great example to illustrate this.

It’s tempting to think we can treat the theory of Proof in an essentialist, context-independent way, but that model of Proof has serious limitations.  A better way to think about Proof is in more of a context-sensitive, less essentislistic manner.  In other words, looking for a general theory of Proof that can hold in most contexts like F=MA does in Physics is not gonna work very well.  First of all, realize that Math is a context, Physics is a context.  The way that Proof works in those contexts is gonna be unique to those settings.  Instead of drawing on a generalized theory of Proof in a context-independent manner — start to notice how context-sensitive Proof is.  Proof is an issue that is resolved or not in a particular context pursuant to the requirements of that context.  How is the issue of Proof actually raised and resolved in certain contexts?  The way Proof works in certain contexts is gonna be unique to those settings.  Instead of drawing on a theory of Proof in a context-independent manner — begin to notice how context-sensitive Proof is.  Proof is an issue that is resolved or not in a particular context.  Start to notice the shape of Proof when the issue arises in a particular context and how the issue of Proof is actually resolved in that context.  When does the issue of Proof actually come up in different contexts, and how is the issue put to bed in those differing contexts?   Start to become mindful of this.  You’re gonna develop a more realistic theory of Proof if you do.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

There's a difference between being a hamster on a wheel satisfying the Egoic-self versus working hard to sustainably solve your own authentic macro-level actual problem situations in your own life.  

Posted (edited)

THE OPENING UP A SPACE METHOD OF CHANGE VERSUS THE WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN METHOD

It’s tempting to get fed up in life and think you need to turn the entire table over and start over —as if everything you’re doing is wrong and needs to have a huge overhaul.  Well, this is kinda overly idealistic if you take this approach.  What you’re already doing is a delicate balance that evolved over time of getting your needs met.  You don’t wanna upset that apple cart entirely.  What you wanna do instead is open up a space in your current schedule to work on the change you wanna make.  Open up a bubble within what you’re already doing and work from that bubble outward.  Don’t toss everything you’re already doing.  If you do that you’re not gonna make sustainable change because you’re gonna have too many unmet needs screaming at you at once to be met.  Realize that the routine you have now, however dysfunctional, is there because it is solving your needs.  If you disrupt that too much, you’re gonna shoot a hole in your own boat before you ever set sail.  So, open up a space in your current routines to make the change you want.  That’s a much better way to go about trying to change your life.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

THE CONNECTION BETWEEN DEPRESSION AND THE EGO PARADIGM

Ego is the false sense of identification, control, doing, and conceptual-knowing between unchanging Awareness and the changing Dream.  Ego is a set of beliefs that we can call the Ego Paradigm.  The changing Dream is reality as we commonly Egoically know it.  Unchanging Awareness is the container in which all of reality exists within.  You need to realize you are the container of all of reality, not a little piece acting within reality.  What causes depression is faith in the Ego Paradigm.  This is because you falsely believe you can control reality and act within reality.  

You can only be depressed if you believe things should be otherwise.  Think about it, what causes your depressed thoughts?  The belief you have that you aren’t causing your life to be more what you want it to be, right?  The sense in which you are a failure, a no good person who can’t manage your life well.  Why would you be depressed at all if you could fix your problems, right?  So — what causes your depression is the belief that you are defective, incapable of manning up and grabbing the bull by the horns and cleaning up all your problems.  You might even compare yourself to someone you believe is successful in the way you want to be and mutter to yourself — look at how much of a loser I am compared to that guy or gal, etc.  Depression is caused by your perceived inability to act, to exercise proper control over reality.

But let’s go back to the definition of Ego I began with.  What were the elements?  false sense of Identification, false sense of control, false sense of doing, false sense of conceptual-knowing.  Let’s reserve the last element of “conceptual-knowing” for another time and deal with the first three elements.  As the unchanging container, you identify with the little you running around in the changing Dream don’t you?  You also believe that you can control the changing Dream and that you are doing things within the Dream. The problem with all of these beliefs is that they are false.  The container is only aware of the changing Dream in the present moment.  Any Egoic attachment to that flux by unchanging Awareness is a false belief, a false clinging done within the Dream.  When you let go of The Ego Paradigm and become the atmosphere not the clouds — you can accept whatever the changing Dream delivers without letting it affect you personally.  You have no control over the changing Dream.  The belief that you do is what causes your depression.  Nothing that happens in the changing Dream can or does affect unchanging Awareness.  So, just practice acceptance of the changing Dream.   Rest as unchanging Awareness.  Let the changing Dream do what it wants to and don’t cling to any of it.  Depression is a creature of and side-effect of the Ego Paradigm.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

CAN THE PREOCCUPATION WITH PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT WORK FUNCTION LIKE A VIDEO GAME ADDICTION?

The image that comes to mind is of someone watching hours and hours of personal development videos planted like a tree in front of their computer.  Is this person fooling themselves into thinking they are helping themselves by watching so many videos?  "Where's the action?" one might think.  How is this personal development video watcher similar to  the video gamer sitting for hours in front of their computer playing video games?  It's an interesting question.  

I think there is a similarity, and that is avoidance of reality.  That's the problem.  Video games are not the problem, self help videos are not the problem.  The problem is that they can both function like diversions from dealing with the pressing and often mundane concerns that you're been putting off in reality.  I can sit and watch personal development videos all day long.  I realize I'm kind of an odd duck in that way, and they have benefited me.  My level of knowledge of Personal Development and Philosophy are keen as a result of how many videos I do watch.  But I also realize that this behavior, this hiding away in the mind, is a way for me to avoid the pressing issues of mundane reality that I want to be working on.  I wanna be working on mundane things!  I know you do too.

Video games and personal development videos are great.  Let's not blame those for the problem we have.  The problem we have with addictions and distractions is for some reason we don't want to deal with the mundane things in reality that need dealing with.  We've become too much engrossed in our hobbies.  We're like the guy who spent a month traveling through Europe coming back to the daily grind of work and such.  He's probably not gonna be able to jump right back into that routine.  Why?  Because he's too much into what he wants to do rather than what he needs to do.  He's too spoiled in a sense.  So, how do we fix this?   Set daily time limits for how much you spend watching videos or playing video games.  Enjoy those things, they're the fruit of life, just don't become too overly-consumed by them.  You'll keep the outer world from closing in on you too, which will reduce your inclination to hide-out so much in those fun activities in the first place.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

IS THE FOCUS ON PHILOSOPHY A TRAP IN PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT WORK?

Absolutely not.  This is one pet peeve I have regarding personal development people, this idea that Philosophy and the study thereof is some kind of mental-masturbation.  Now -- I know where this attitude comes from, and in the appropriate contexts it does make sense to be cautious of theory.  The fallacy, however, is to assume the caution against using theory for specific practices in Personal Development applies globally to the practice of Personal Development as a whole.  Nothing could be further from the truth!  If you wanna become Enlightened, become a student of Philosophy.  

What are we dealing with in Personal Development?  We're dealing with beliefs, world-views, theories, opinions, awareness, finding awareness, self-inquiry, contemplation, Neti Neti, strategies for how to best live your life.  This is all Philosophy!  Philosophy in the East and in the West has been dealing with these questions for thousands of years.  Wouldn't you like to know what was said by these people?  In a sense there's nothing new under the Sun regarding these questions. 

The Ancient Greek was just as interested as we are about how to have a meaningful life.  The Ancient Indian was wondering if everything was Non-Dual a couple of thousand years ago.  The Ancient Chinese was dealing with problems that the Post Modern Philosopher Derrida was dealing with a couple of thousand years ago.  Philosophy is like a long conversation that stretches back a few thousand years on all these issues that we deal with in Personal Development.  So, next time someone tells you to avoid Philosophy, you tell them to stick it!  Personal Development is Philosophy and you are a philosopher.  Own it!

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

IS MORE SUBTLE THINKING A SIGNAL OF GROWTH?

I think it is.  The more theory you become exposed to and the more experience you have in life, the less likely you are to get trapped in the model.  What do I mean by this?  You're gonna be less inclined to think there has to be one right answer to things.  You're gonna be less inclined to get trapped in either-or oppositions and black-and-white thinking.  When you first start studying Philosophy you have this over-simplified view of the subject.  It's the Empiricists versus the Rationalists right?  It's the Scientists versus the Religious people.  It's the Intellectuals versus the Jocks.  It's all these binary, hard and fast distinctions that seem to apply across the board!  Well, the more exposure you get to life, the more shades of grey and subtlety you get in your thinking.  If you don't have a wide shore-of-reference and somebody teaches you a theory, you're gonna apply it in a kind of mathematical, rigid way.  How could you know otherwise?  It's like the difference between the way a student of physics practices physics versus the way that an experimental physicist practices physics.  What's the difference?  Well, the student's job is to learn the theory and then apply the rules he has learned to the highly-contrived problem-sets in the textbook.  So, we have textbook theory plus practice problem-sets that constitute a kind of shore-of-reference for the physics student.  Now, the way that that the physics student is gonna apply the theory is going to be conditioned by his experience with the textbook and problem-sets. 

Lets contrast the physics student with a physicist who is working in the field trying to either discover new laws of physics or testing old laws of physics.  Now, his theory is gonna be broader that what is taught in the student's textbook.  And he's not gonna be given the benefit of a highly-contrived problem to solve that has only one right answer -- like the back of a Physics textbook does.  The experimental physicist has to define the problem himself that he's trying to solve as a hypothesis, right?  And it's not at all clear that there is a single right answer that can be definitively reached.  In fact, the experimental physicist has to explain his result, and defend his result!  The physics student just checks the back of the textbook.  So, my point here in comparing the physics student with the practicing physicist is to show that as you progress in life thinking does become more subtle and the idea that there is an easy application of theory to reality is kind of broken-down as more and more experience is attained.  It depends on the context, but I think in general the more shore-of-reference you have, the less likely you are to make these overly-broad, context-independent theoretical judgments about things.  Your thinking becomes more context-dependent, more subtle, more tentative, less bought into the idea that there needs to be one right answer to everything.  And also you're more likely to not get caught in the trap of over-simplifed questions and judgments.  You'll be more inclined to demur to those in the first instance.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

FRANCIS BACON IS AN INTERERESTING WESTERN THINKER

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Bacon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumentalism

francis-bacon_2.jpg

If you need to review Medieval Philosophy prior to Bacon, watch this video:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_universals

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

“MODERN PHILOSOPHY” DOES NOT MEAN “CONTEMPORARY PHILOSOPHY” IN THE WESTERN PHILOSOPHICAL TRADITION 

There are 4 basic periods of Western Philosophy:

1.  Ancient Philosophy (6th Century BC to 4th Century AD)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_philosophy

2.  Medieval Philosophy (5th Century AD to 16th Century AD)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_philosophy

3.  Modern Philosophy (17th Century AD through 19th Century AD)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_philosophy

4.  Contemporary Philosophy (20th Century AD to the Present)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_philosophy

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

I’M GONNA DO A 100-DAY NEWS AND INFOTAINMENT MEDIA FAST

I’m going to fast from News and other Infotainment sources for 100 days.  I want to do this little experiment just to see how I feel about all this News stuff for and against.  Before I comment on things, I like to know what I’m talking about.  It’s easy for me to spout my mouth off about how harmful the Media is while still consuming it.  I don’t wanna fall into that trap.  So, I’m gonna find out by exploring this issue.  And then after 100 days of being off of it, I’ll comment on it.  I’ll still be on here, don’t worry.  I don’t consider good media to be the same as News and Infotainment.  I will block all News sites and Infotainment sites from my PC and iPhone.  The 100 days starts today. Do it with me if you want!  Whaddya have to lose?  Again, I’ll still be on here.  This is good media for me.  Just doing the writing alone is very therapeutic for me.  I think Journal writing is the most effective growth tool I’ve discovered so far.  Thinking through the material, and then commenting on it in writing solidifies it in my life in a deep way.    It becomes a part of me, not just some idea or theory.  Writing helps me integrate things that I’m being exposed to on the Path.  It’s very healthy for me to continue to write, so long as I’m doing it genuinely.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

TWO KEYS TO TACKLING PROJECTS — (1) GET STARTED WITHOUT DELAY, AND (2) TRY TO FALL IN LOVE WITH THE PROCESS

These are my two best tips for getting your projects done.  Let’s deal with the first element first: Getting started without delay.  This is a mindset and habit you need to nurture in your life.  It’s also a momentum that has to be gradually built up by living this principle.  You need to develop the kind of attitude that just jumps on things right away rather than letting them sit and fester.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve put things off only because of resistance to begin a project.  And then when I finally do start the project, I realize that that resistance was totally stupid.  So, don’t let resistance fester by putting things off.  Try to develop the habit of jumping on things right away instead of letting the fear to start fester due to waiting a long time to begin the project after realizing it needs to be done.  This is a mindset and habit you can cultivate and practice throughout your day, especially your workday.

Now let’s deal with the second element: Try to fall in love with the process.  This is something that I just became conscious of recently after watching the way I motivate myself to get projects done.  I like to sit down before a project and plan out the execution of it.  I might use index cards to break down the various sub-tasks that need to be done to complete the project.  I might make a list of the sub-tasks on a legal pad.  However I do it, I try to get myself bought into the process of completing the project.  I’ll line up the index cards on a table in a sequence and then throw each card away once each sub-task is completed.  This also gives me great sense of where I am in the completion of the project.  So, invest a little time up front getting bought into the process of completing your projects.  It will make getting your projects done so much easier.  Oftentimes all we want to do is get the damn project done!  That’s all well and good: but the way to bring yourself to do that is to get bought-in to the process of completing the project.  So, this is a mindset and habit you can cultivate and practice throughout your day, especially your workday.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT ALBUM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violator_(album)

Depeche+Mode.jpg

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

TOPICS I'M STILL INTERESTED IN LEARNING SOMETHING ABOUT 

• World Culture in all of its Manifestations
  • The History of World Civilizations/ World Civilizations
  • Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems
  • Mathematics/ The History of Mathematics/ Philosophy of Mathematics
  • Physics/ The History of Physics/ Mathematical Physics/ Conceptual Physics/ Philosophy of Physics
  • DNA, Cellular Biology, Genetics
  • Evolution of the Earth plus the Organisms on the Earth
  • Astronomy, General Relativity, Cosmology
  • Quantum Mechanics
  • Experimental Method/ Statistics/ Philosophy of Science
  • Neuroscience
  • World History
  • The History of World Ideas/ World Philosophy
  • The History of World Religion/ World Religions
  • The History of World Mysticism/ World Mysticisms
  • World Travel
  • Psychedelics
  • The History of World Art/ Appreciation of World Art
  • The History of Psychology/ Psychology/ Freud/ Jung/ Evolutionary Psychology
  • Linguistics/ Dabbling in Foreign Languages
  • Writing/ Writing as a Career/ Blogging
  • Practicing Jazz Trumpet
  • History of Music, Appreciating Music of all Genres
  • Practicing Personal Development/ Helping others with Personal Development
Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

SOME PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT TIPS TO HELP YOU IMPROVE YOUR LIFE

Have a good routine that you execute daily.  Very little drug or alcohol use, if any.   No News, no Infotainment.  Watch the Internet and Phone use.  Stay offline except during specified times.  Make a goal list.  Keep a task list that gets updated every day.  Keep your daily routine list, goal list, and task list in a separate manila folder from all your other papers.  Start to keep a personal development journal on here.  Do some exercise in the morning.  Do sets of pushups and situps during your day.  Give yourself a nice morning routine.  Jump on projects right away, don't give procrastination a chance to set in.  Try to fall in love with the process when you do projects.   If you can fall in love with the process, your projects will complete themselves.  Keep a clean diet.  Get plenty of sleep.  Don't shortchange your sleep, that's gotta be solid.  If your energy is screwed up, your performance is gonna suck during the day and you’ll feel like crap too.  You wanna avoid that trap by prioritizing your sleep.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

Posted (edited)

DESCARTES IS AN INTERESTING WESTERN THINKER

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/René_Descartes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceptualism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_representation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundationalism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_(truth)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-evidence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_(philosophy)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certainty

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind–body_problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_doubt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essence

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passions_(philosophy)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_priori_and_a_posteriori

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysical_necessity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_identity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substance_theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_event

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_truth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivity_(philosophy)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mind

rene_descartes_by_dantejohn96-d92bep3.jp

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

STUDYING PHILOSOPHY GOES MUCH DEEPER THAN WHO IS RIGHT AND WHO IS WRONG

Studying Philosophy requires a very open-minded attitude.  We all have beliefs that resonate with us more so than others.  But when you study Philosophy, you can’t let that bias get in the way of your exploration.  The Philosopher is like an entomologist, a scientist of insects.  Each philosophy he studies gets put in a case with all the other philosophies to be analyzed and compared.  Sure, he has beliefs that resonate with him more so than others, just as an entomologist has his favorite looking bugs.  But the entomologist is just as interested in the leg of a flea as he is in the most beautiful butterfly in his case.  He is interested in the overall contour and interrelationship between different kinds of insects.  He’s interested in their comparison and evolution.  Same goes for the philosopher with philosophies. 

The Philosopher is not simply interested in who is right or wrong.  In fact, he has become skeptical of that attitude to knowledge.  When you study Philosophy, you’ll realize as Will Durant famously put it, that — “All science begins as philosophy and ends as art”.  Philosophy is littered with people who thought they found the truth of their generation!  That’s what’s so cool about studying Philosophy.  It’s the meat and drink of truth in its most condensed form.  It’s the proposals for truth.  It’s the best ideas humans beings have been able to come up with for truth.  

So, instead of looking at Philosophy only through the lens of who is right and who is wrong, when you approach a philosopher or philosophy ask — who or what influenced this and who or what was influenced by it?  Start to see the shape of the larger narrative of Philosophy.  Start to see Philosophy as an ongoing human conversation about what is true, what is real, what is right and wrong, what is knowable.  Instead of merely concluding so and so is wrong — ask yourself — “What influenced this thinker to come to the conclusions that they did?”  

Start to see how Philosophy is an extension of human culture.  This means all your beliefs have a cultural component to them.  I know you wanna believe your best beliefs are reality, think again!  All beliefs are culture.  You are a philosopher too, own it!  This should give you a better orientation for studying Philosophy  now rather than simply judging who is right or who is wrong.  Any bum on the street can do that!  Your job as an amateur philosopher is to see the larger cultural narrative of belief at work, and to participate in that conversation yourself.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

PHYSICAL DOING IS A HABIT AND A PARADIGM — YOU NEED TO NURTURE AND TEND TO YOUR HORIZONTAL MOMENTUM 

We tend to stress the health benefits of physical movement, but we don’t always appreciate the personal development benefits of physical movement.  I call the personal development implications of physical movement horizontal momentum.  To be productive in life and to get your projects done, you need to cultivate horizontal momentum.  To get all your mundane needs met, you need to cultivate horizontal momentum.  So, what is horizontal momentum?

Horizontal momentum is your ability to get things done in the world outside of the mind.  It’s the actions you take in the world.  It’s cultivating that.  It’s physical movement.  You don’t get good at taking a bunch of action without practicing taking a bunch of action! So, you need to nurture your horizontal momentum.  It doesn’t happen automatically.  The way you do this is by being more physical in general and by being more task-oriented, active, and action-oriented in your life.  You can work on that, and you should be working on that!  Horizontal momentum is not a given, it’s a mindset, something you have to work on and maintain daily, a habit.  So, what are some tips for increasing your horizontal momentum?

First, become more physically active in general.  Move around more physically.  Increase your physical movement.  Develop a morning exercise routine.  Do sets of pushups and sit-ups throughout your day.  Become more task-oriented.  Walk instead of drive.  Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.  When you see something that needs to be done, jump on it right away.  Start to relish crossing things off your to do list.  Make sure you are creating a to do list every morning.  Stay away from alcohol when you’re working. Get bought into the process of your projects as I’ve mentioned before.  

Horizontal momentum is not built overnight, but over a course of time.  You have to nurture it.  What I wanted to do here is give you the theory needed to nurture it.  Now get that body moving!  Physical movement has huge personal development implications not just health considerations.  You wanna to feel strong, powerful, and capable in your life.  That is done by building up your horizontal momentum.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

NEGATIVE EMOTIONS ARE GOOD IF YOU ACT IN RESPONSE TO THEM — THEY ARE THE ANTI-ENABLERS IN YOUR LIFE

This is the reason why alcohol can be so harmful to your life.  It shuts off your negative emotions.  Your negative emotions are a sign that something is off in your life.  They give you useful information.  Why is the bum on the street on the street?  Because instead of listening to these negative emotions and taking them seriously, he muted them with alcohol.  And he does that for years and years.  And look where that leads him?  He stopped even listening to his negative emotions.  So you wanna listen acutely to your negative emotions and try to figure out what they are telling you.  They are giving you personal development advice if you listen to them carefully.  Don’t mute your negative emotions by taking drugs or drinking alcohol.  Design your personal development goals in light of what your negative emotions are telling you.  Your negative emotions are trying to help you see where your life is out of balance and needs to be course-corrected.  Think of negative emotions like a very blunt friend telling you that you’re fu*king up in some way in managing your life.  Take it as positive feedback for change!  Negative emotions are good, not bad.  I hope I have convinced you of that here.  Negative emotions are a reality-check for you if you have the ears to hear them.  Heed what they’re telling you to do and do it!  Learn how to appreciate negative emotions rather than attempting to escape them.  They’re there for a reason.  They’re telling you that you need to change.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor