Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,121 posts in this topic

@sleep ketchari mudra gives a slight natural high. I can do it partially. I don't know of any dangers to it. I don't think the frenelum serves any big function. Maybe it just make the tongue more intuitive and user friendly. I could also imagine it's to make toddlers not choke on their tongues.

You don't have to do it tho, it's up to you.

The road to God is paved with bliss.

@martins name thats pretty cool, hopefully i can get something like that from it too

I've been practicing talabya kriya and stretching my tongue to get khechari, but my gag reflex keeps getting in the way. Anyone have any tips to deal with it? 

38 minutes ago, sleep said:

my gag reflex keeps getting in the way. Anyone have any tips to deal with it?

Try out desensitization:

You can reduce or eliminate your gag reflex by gradually getting your soft palate accustomed to being touched. One technique is to use a toothbrush on your tongue:

1. Using a soft toothbrush to brush your tongue until you reach the area that makes you feel like you might gag. If you gag, you have brushed too far.
  2. For about 15 seconds, brush that area.
  3. Repeat the process once a day until you no longer feel the urge to gag begin. That area has been desensitized.
  4. Then move the brush slightly further back ¼ to ½ inch and repeat the process, moving the brush further and further back until you come to your tongue’s farthest visual point.

Desensitization, which usually takes about a month, is a longer-term solution that’s helpful for people with gagging issues. It can help you become accustomed to gagging triggers such as new dentures that extend into the palate, medical throat swabbing, dentistry, or oral sex.

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-gag-reflex#desensitizing

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

I do a practice called Shambhavi Mahamudra Krya. It helps me to be at easy in any situation nothing spiritual so far though. It also made me very sensitive to food clothes ppl everything. Trees look nicer and feels good to breath. The moment I stop the practice and start eating junk food though all benefits fade away. It's needs constant practice, it's fairly simple. Another one called Isha Krya it's very powerful. I also shake like crazy sometimes when I do too much meditation. So Kryas might be dangerous if misused.

Do you guys visualize stuff like energy going up and down the spine or chakras? I try to feel the third eye chakra, for example, but I can't really feel anything, like a blank spot or something. I'm not sure if this is something that will get better with practice, or if I'm misunderstanding something of the practice. 

Edited by sleep

As far as books on Kriya Yoga go,I think this one is among the best out there, including the one by Stevens. It does away with all the unneeded fluff usually associated with Kriya and deals with the essentials only, primarily with it's focus on the pravastha state or "after practice awareness/just being state". This state is essential for inquiry/contemplation or  the"jnana (self knowledge) stage of yoga".

There is also an excellent Kriya Yogi with a YT channel explaining the finer points in an understandable/uncomplicated language. He also offers an easy to do Kechari alternative by simply relaxing the jaw and the tongue. In the video he shows it with the mouth slightly open,but the idea is to relax the jaw and tongue with the lips closed.. This can be done by simply bringing the tongue up (without curling it backward) and resting it on the upper palate, about 3 inches behind the front teeth. The jaw will be relaxed, without the teeth touching, and the tongue will also be relaxed/rested without moving. Be sure to watch his vid , and this one , on HRV breathing also, as getting the breath under 7 breaths per minute is ideal for absorption (i.e. samadhi). It's easier than it sounds. Just make the exhalation longer than the inhalation. So if the inhale is for say, a 4 count, the exhale will be 6-8. Sticking to that format will activate the parasympathetic nervous system, specifically the dorsal vagal nerve , leading to deeper states of meditation.
Combining the HRV format that he advises, along with the book mentioned above, and you are sure to get "results" fairly quickly. Set aside time and make it a daily routine/habit, preferably twice per day, even if it's only ten minutes or so. Otherwise, "only every once in a while" won't cut it.

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

@sleep Visualization is a misunderstood concept.

What you are seeking is the feeling of energy going up and down your spine.
You will feel the chakras in time. The ajna chakra, which the 3rd eye is an access point to, is probably the hardest chakra to feel. Start by getting to know your heart chakra. The energy of that chakra is expressed as the emotion of love. Every time you are feeling love you are feeling the heart chakra. Then notice how that emotion feels in your body. You will feel it in your chest, radiating outwards. All emotions also have an energy to them, that is difference in intensity. The difference between sight love and love that is bursting out of your chest is the amount of energy the emotion has. Feel this difference and you will understand energy. You will feel this energy the strongest the closer to the chakra center you get. Now see if you can feel or create the same sensation of energy in your third eye. 

@itachi uchiha I've practised SantataGamana's Kriya yoga but switched his pranayama for Sri Mukherjee's. I've never belonged to any organization, nor had contact with any guru. 

10 hours ago, sleep said:

Do you guys visualize stuff like energy going up and down the spine or chakras? I try to feel the third eye chakra, for example, but I can't really feel anything, like a blank spot or something. I'm not sure if this is something that will get better with practice, or if I'm misunderstanding something of the practice. 

Focus on the ususal sensation like warmth, tingling and blood circulation. Even if you don't feel anything, just listen to the absence of sensation like if you'd listen to silence.

5 hours ago, martins name said:

The ajna chakra, which the 3rd eye is an access point to, is probably the hardest chakra to feel.

That's curious. It was the first one I felt and there wasn't even an intention to get to feel it.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

@Loving Radiance I say that because it's the least distinct one apart from sahasrara. You have always felt comfort, pleasure, joy and love which are expressions of the first 4 chakras. They are more tangable.

@itachi uchiha ksf is alsmoast too intence for me. It has me shaking and losing control. How I understand it, it's not about pleasure but rather to increase your prana to then use in more gentle practices to create bliss, comfort, pleasure, joy, love and/or awareness. How long it lasts depends on a lot of factors, a day maybe? 

The amount of wellbeing you get from a chakra can be calculated by prana amount*chakra openness. If you have a lot of prana but a closed chakra it can actually create intense suffering. If you have an open chakra but little prana then it will feel nice but not overwhelmingly so. But also prana helps you open your chakras, and allows you to go into depths that are normally unavailable. Open chakra + lots of prana = bliss bomb

Nothing that I've experienced through energy work compares to 5-meo, but if you have a full-blown kundalini awakening then maybe you could get to that level. Energetic practices has changed how psychedelics work on me, it's more energetic now.

@martins name Yeah, I didn't mean literally seeing them, I meant feeling them. Thanks for the clarification though, now I have a hint of what I'm supposed to feel. 

1 hour ago, Loving Radiance said:

Focus on the ususal sensation like warmth, tingling and blood circulation. Even if you don't feel anything, just listen to the absence of sensation like if you'd listen to silence.

That's curious. It was the first one I felt and there wasn't even an intention to get to feel it.

That's helpful, thanks