Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,121 posts in this topic

Hatha yoga before kriya yoga?

sadhguru says one should do hatha yoga before we practice kriya yoga to prepare our body for the intesne states of energy:

"If we want to do Kriya Yoga, we always prepare people with Hatha yoga because without the body being prepared, it will not be able to take higher dimensions of energy. It will break. It is just like if your pipe is not ready and you pump in too much force, something is bound to burst. Hatha yoga, so to speak, could be understood as preparation of the pipe." 

This may have been covered somewhere in this thread but posting the query here nonetheless: 

Is there a website which explains a basic Kriay yoga technique? I am referring to the Kriya Yoga techniques from the lineage of Babaji and Yogananda.

Edited by astrokeen

@astrokeen Get the books on the book list.

Hows everyone practice going?

Has anyone experienced siddhis?

@astrokeen You can buy the book list on the actualized.org website.

I have recommended these YouTube channels before, but I will do it again.

One is ManojTheYogi. Very practical. He has an entire course up online where he shows you how to do all the different asanas, pranayama and meditation techniques. I found this to be a great start.

The second one is Ryan Kurczak. He has 20+ years of experience and has a lot of practical videos where he is showing you how to practise different techniques, and he also goes into great depth to explain the theory behind Kriya Yoga.

The third is The Satsang Foundation / Sri M. He is an accomplished master who teaches Kriya Yoga all over the world.

Hope this helps. I still recommend getting the books as well, though.

All the best

@astrokeen He's probably talking about the one from the booklist. I dont want to disclose it out of intregrity for Leo, just buy the list, it's well worth the investment.

Also check out http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/. There should be a link to download Ennio Nimis's book for free.

There has been discussion in this thread on how to keep count of no of kriya breaths etc. Traditionally, the way to keep count has been to use a mala or rosary - the Indian mala (rosary) usually made of sandalwood beads has 108 beads, which is the number used in Kriya Yoga. 

Just checked why the number 108 is significant:

"Renowned mathematicians of Vedic culture viewed 108 as a number of the wholeness of existence. This number also connects the Sun, Moon, and Earth: The average distance of the Sun and the Moon to Earth is 108 times their respective diameters. Such phenomena have given rise to many examples of ritual significance.

According to yogic tradition, there are 108 pithas, or sacred sites, throughout India. And there are also 108 Upanishads and 108 marma points, or sacred places of the body."

So now we know.

@Milan  Here is Shambhavi Mudra, good luck!

On 6/2/2020 at 7:53 PM, Milan said:

@YogiLogan @ShanmugamHello, could you give me the instructions for shambavi mudra. I have a lot of social anxiety and I heard this would be ideal for helping me, I cannot wait until October. If you can help me contact me at milantroude@outlook.fr thanks

Hello. A question I have about spinal breathing and ujjayi breathing. Whenever I'm done doing first kriya pranayama, 12 cycles in a row, I find myself having hyperventilated a bit. What I mean is that I'm forcing myself to breathe more than I normally would, and so my body is depleted of carbon dioxide to a degree. Its nothing extreme but you get the point. Is this normal? 

Carbon dioxide gets depleted more extremely when doing holotropic breathing, for example 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Does anyone have any tips for what exercises to do? I've tried yoga before, but all the exercises I've found are boring to me, and don't really feel like proper exercise. So I've never really got into it, I already enjoy other forms of exercise like running/hiking, so for me to do this it needs to compete with those

Depends on what it is your after. Honestly, I haven't tried any Hatha yoga. I was more after that crazy knowledge that no one else knows and has and believe to be impossibe and also I'm a scientist at heart so I like to experiment to see if there are any health benefits to anything I discover. So, I just stuck with meditation.

Hi, I am reading the Kriya Yoga Exposed book, but SantanaGamana doesnt name the gurus! Has anyone gone to the trouble of naming them somewhere in this mega thread?! 

8 hours ago, Kriya said:

Hi, I am reading the Kriya Yoga Exposed book, but SantanaGamana doesnt name the gurus! Has anyone gone to the trouble of naming them somewhere in this mega thread?! 

I worked out many of them from the book, but unfortunately I have lent my copy out, so I cannot recall the details.

If you are curious about any in particular, then give a brief summary of that guru and I might be able to help.

Peace